• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Parcell ‏ @JoshParcell

For what it's worth I just got word from someone I very much trust that Shaka Smart is in Blacksburg right now.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what this will do for recruiting. I believe the current class can get out of LOI if the coach is fired...

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Coach search begins tomorrow"

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what this will do for recruiting. I believe the current class can get out of LOI if the coach is fired...

If Shaka is hired (which i don't think is likely); you wouldn't lose any recruits. But I actually don't think players can get out of a Letter of Intent because of a coaching change.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell UNCFan103, but I have heard the name Roy Williams.....

;)

Negged!

just kidding. I'm just hoping its not Shaka lol. But, i doubt you would have fired Greenberg unless you knew you could hire someone better.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Shaka is hired (which i don't think is likely); you wouldn't lose any recruits. But I actually don't think players can get out of a Letter of Intent because of a coaching change.

I believe you are correct.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

For what it's worth I just got word from someone I very much trust that Shaka Smart is in Blacksburg right now.

That would be a great move, but it sure didn't sound like that in the press conference.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've read any basketball topics here then you know I've been calling for this day to come. I felt like Greenberg had plateaued and if the program wanted to achieve more success, it was time to move on. That said, I'm floored Weaver had the guts to make this move now. I figured he'd give him 1 or maybe even 2 years. I'm a little confused as to why he waited so long as well. Odd timing for sure. I just hope now that he actually has a plan to go after a good coach and not just bring in some assistant with little experience. Just to mention a few names I'd love to see (but this doesn't mean its a possibility) are Shaka Smart (VCU), Chris Mooney (Richmond), Chris Mack (Xavier), and Chris Collins (long-time Duke assistant, son of NBA coach Doug Collins).

And in a personal dream world of mine that would never ever happen but would be fun to see, Mike D'Antoni. He has no interest in college as far as I know but how fun would it be to sit in Cassell and watch guys run and gun in his 7 Seconds or Less offense? (For those that don't know what that is, think of it as basketball's version of Oregon's football offense).

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The way Weaver described it in the press conference was that all the assistants leaving encouraged Weaver to pull the trigger now instead of waiting to the end of next year.

I suppose that makes sense, but it does seem like they might have given some attention to lining up a replacement. I guess the job is wide open now.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you've read any basketball topics here then you know I've been calling for this day to come. I felt like Greenberg had plateaued and if the program wanted to achieve more success, it was time to move on. That said, I'm floored Weaver had the guts to make this move now. I figured he'd give him 1 or maybe even 2 years. I'm a little confused as to why he waited so long as well. Odd timing for sure. I just hope now that he actually has a plan to go after a good coach and not just bring in some assistant with little experience. Just to mention a few names I'd love to see (but this doesn't mean its a possibility) are Shaka Smart (VCU), Chris Mooney (Richmond), Chris Mack (Xavier), and Chris Collins (long-time Duke assistant, son of NBA coach Doug Collins).

And in a personal dream world of mine that would never ever happen but would be fun to see, Mike D'Antoni. He has no interest in college as far as I know but how fun would it be to sit in Cassell and watch guys run and gun in his 7 Seconds or Less offense? (For those that don't know what that is, think of it as basketball's version of Oregon's football offense).

Chris Collins is essentially the coach in waiting at Duke.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Weaver described it in the press conference was that all the assistants leaving encouraged Weaver to pull the trigger now instead of waiting to the end of next year.

I suppose that makes sense, but it does seem like they might have given some attention to lining up a replacement. I guess the job is wide open now.

makes sense, i thought Greenberg would get one more year, but with all the assistants fleeing, there had to be more to it

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that would be great, but i just dont see it

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That may be true, but you're going to snipe a coach in waiting from somewhere.

I really hope this gets interesting, and VT snags someone really good.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trollin'

crazy-parenting-fails-too-young-to-know-how-hard-he-just-trolled.gif

I would beat that kid with my shoe and smother him with a pillow...

for the record, that kid is definitely not me, but the grandma looks just like how my grandma used to, it's really weird...i'm not saying for certain that it's her, but i can't say that it's not either, dont know who the kid would be though

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for the record, that kid is definitely not me, but the grandma looks just like how my grandma used to, it's really weird...i'm not saying for certain that it's her, but i can't say that it's not either, dont know who the kid would be though

Maybe they buried him in the back yard.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I realize that. But I don't think Coach K is going anywhere in the next 5 to 7 years. He'd come in, get some head coaching experience, and hopefully build up the program to a higher level than what he found it.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was a shocker to me. where do we go from here? im very worried that we will downgrade rather than upgrade.