• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
haha.

I don't know if that's related. I just saw the Jim Weaver presser... man, he is NOT charismatic.

Weaver was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2004. That probably has something to do with how he comes across in public.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT doesn't have a whole lot of options, so this might work. He has no head coaching experience, but could be a stop gap for right now since we'll probably be changing coaches once Weaver retires, which is probably sooner rather than later. I doubt we see any head coaches leaving their program to come to VT with the idea of a new AD coming in soon, unless we throw money their way, which we won't. Johnson may be receptive to the idea because it allows him to gain coaching experience and possibly receive an extension at VT, even though there is little security right now.

Why do people assume that a change in the AD means a change in the basketball coach?

Seems like if the program is doing well, the head basketball coaching position would be safe.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
William Gunter‏@WillGunter247
RT @scoutsfocus: Montrezl Harrell, Virginia Tech's top signee, will "probably" seek his release according to his Father.
Retweeted by VTScoop247

Well, this REALLY sucks. If we plan on keeping this kid, and others who may be thinking about transferring, we better land a quality coach fast.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why do people assume that a change in the AD means a change in the basketball coach?

Seems like if the program is doing well, the head basketball coaching position would be safe.

It doesn't always mean a change, just that there's a greater likelihood. AD's want to be responsible for their people, so if a program is struggling, it's better to make a change right away then wait for another person's hire to fizzle out.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
William Gunter‏@WillGunter247
RT @scoutsfocus: Montrezl Harrell, Virginia Tech's top signee, will "probably" seek his release according to his Father.
Retweeted by VTScoop247

Well, this REALLY sucks. If we plan on keeping this kid, and others who may be thinking about transferring, we better land a quality coach fast.

Here is the twitter link: https://twitter.com/#!/scoutsfocus

He mentions that Kentucky, NC State, PITT, Providence, L'ville, Xavier, Cincinnati & 'Bama are schools expected to make a push for Montrezl post-release.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great...like you said a few posts up, we better get someone good, and get him fast!

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talked with some people. Right now all the players are waiting to hear who the new coach is before any decisions are made. Many of the players are keeping the option of transferring open. We could see the whole team come back, or we could see half of the team gone.

Also, it sounded like in the end that Greenberg was screwed over in every way. Greenberg earlier this year requested Weaver for more money to raise his assistants salaries. Weaver denied him, and the assistants left. Then Weaver used the lack of assistant coaches as an excuse to fire Greenberg.

I wasn't Greenberg's biggest fan as a coach, but everything here was handled terribly. We're all tired of the NCAA bubble, but we could see this team drop back to it's old Big East ways unless we get a solid replacement.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will all soon realize that Seth was one of the best coaches VT will ever get. VT is essentially a career ender when it comes to basketball.....no tradition, poor location for recruiting urban players, tough conference. The best coach that will actually consider the VT basketball job is a coach who is proven, but nobody else wants.....Larry Eustacy, Kelvin Sampson, Bruce Pearl, etc...

Expect this thing to get much worse, until Weaver retires 3 years from now. Even big money will not bring in solid coaches. And as for the up-and-comers, Dayton, Xavier, VCU, etc. are all better steping stones than VT.

We are now back to being the Nebraska, Auburn, or Oregon State of college basketball.

:rant:

Last edited by a moderator:

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao, i was googling a little bit to see where those rumors of Shaka Smart being in bburg came from...one site i found, "Devils Illustrated", had a poster say this: (this came before the press conference)

"There has been some Internet conjecture that it may be Beemer taking the Arkansas job rather than Seth of the AD out."

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We will all soon realize that Seth was one of the best coaches VT will ever get. VT is essentially a career ender when it comes to basketball.....no tradition, poor location for recruiting urban players, tough conference.

Ummm, that seems like a rather limited opinion. I agree that Seth Greenberg was a good coach, but there was clearly a problem. He was changing assistants like others change their underwear. As far as tradition, that's the challenge -- to build one. As far as location for urban players, who played in for the Championship this year? Kentucky and Kansas.

Yes ,the ACC is a tough conference, and that's why it's an attractive job. Va Tech is clearly committed to building a quality basketball program. Greenberg has done a nice job of attracting some solid talent. I'm assuming that even Weaver realizes that he now has to pony up with some cash.

Perhaps you should wait and see how the recruiting goes before jumping on the bandwagon with the other naysayers.

Last edited by a moderator:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh, and I would have kept Greenberg another year. But this was the ballsy thing to do.

Either it will work, and we'll get a better coach (I'm hoping Weaver had the good sense to line up at least a plan B) or it won't work, and we'll be looking again after we get a new AD.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will all soon realize that Seth was one of the best coaches VT will ever get. VT is essentially a career ender when it comes to basketball.....no tradition, poor location for recruiting urban players, tough conference. The best coach that will actually consider the VT basketball job is a coach who is proven, but nobody else wants.....Larry Eustacy, Kelvin Sampson, Bruce Pearl, etc...

Expect this thing to get much worse, until Weaver retires 3 years from now. Even big money will not bring in solid coaches. And as for the up-and-comers, Dayton, Xavier, VCU, etc. are all better steping stones than VT.

We are now back to being the Nebraska, Auburn, or Oregon State of college basketball.

I disagree. We have brought good players here recently and winning helps that. VT teams lacked fundamentals, made dumb mistakes, and could not execute. That comes down to how they have been coached. We had the worst sets coming out of dead balls on offense and defense. Our guys did not know how to utilize a screen especially away from the ball. It was sad to watch.
I really don't think VT is that bad of a job for a coach. Expectations are relatively low (make the tourney, beat UVA, knock off UNC/Duke every year or 2) It is an ACC school with good basketball in the state. We have new facilities for the basketball team and a good school to boot. I think a young coach with good energy is what the school needs. Everything about VT is conservative to the outside (football winning with defense. Basketball scoring 65 pts a game playing good defense). We need a guy to come in and throw a curveball to that to attract players. Sell to them they are going to come to VT, play hard, play solid but not necessarily great defense, and we are gonna score 90 a game. Stud players want to score. That is what we need to get in a coach.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
After 24 hours to think it through, I think a lot of people, in general, are overreacting. We discussed this topic here throughout this past season. It is no question that there was bad luck along the way. As much as I wanted him to succeed, things just weren't working out.

I didn't expect SG to be fired yesterday, and it's certainly not the best time of year to be looking. SG was an adequate coach, a good recruiter, and an excellent salesman of the program. He upgraded facilities, and took full advantage of the ACC gift he was given. To be honest, he was not hired to be an ACC coach (some questioned why even a bottom BE team would consider him), but he ended up having to compete as one. For his time here, I thank him, and congratulate him on a solid career.

Now that it's done, the important thing is to improve the long term state of the program. I don't care about hiring a coach just to save recruits if we can get the right long term solution in town. Tech as a program is far better than we were when SG was hired. There are many reasons that a coach may want to be in Blacksburg. Competition, exposure, facilities, pay and COL, players, and fans can all be positive to a coach. I'm not saying we'll have a "big name" (we're not a big name program), but I'm far more worried about evaluating candidates than attracting them.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does anyone have a staff in mind? I agree with ACC_H that making the right move is more important than saving two recruits.

That being said, I think we can achieve both. Assuming he would listen, I think James Johnson should be one of our top candidates. He knows the program, people/players like him, great recruiter. Yeah he doesn't have HC experience, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of the guys we're considering don't either.

I agree with one thing in particular that JW said, and that's the need for a family atmosphere. I like the idea of bringing back a former player like Dell or Ace (he has said he would love to get into coaching, fwiw) as an Assistant.

Just my two cents

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I have had mixes expectations for the next few years in basketball for a while now. The team has been stagnant if not regressing somewhat since about 2009, and now we have two more basketball powers (and more importantly two more top notch coaches) entering the conference.

I think that for this move to have been made when it was, the relationship had to be completely toxic, and so it had to be done. There may be a couple of lean years to come, but in the long run, making the RIGHT hire and sticking by him through the lean years is key.