• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All speculation, but heres a post from TSL with a couple names that have been floating around

TechSideline.Com | Login

EDIT: whoops, thats a pay article. It's got a lot of names that mark Gianatto (sp?) at the WaPo listed, like Ron Everhart, Chris Mooney, Gregg Marshall, Steve Prohm, etc

Looks like the same list of names The Roanoke Times and VA Pilot have been listing for the past 2 days. Someone mentioned on TSL that a high profile coach from out west was interested. I was thinking maybe Steve Alford, but that name was shot down.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the same list of names The Roanoke Times and VA Pilot have been listing for the past 2 days. Someone mentioned on TSL that a high profile coach from out west was interested. I was thinking maybe Steve Alford, but that name was shot down.

Alford seems happy at SDSU so that would be surprising to me. How west are we talking? Pacific? It could Wichita State's head coach Greg Marshall if you consider Kansas "west", which I think most people do.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alford seems happy at SDSU so that would be surprising to me. How west are we talking? Pacific? It could Wichita State's head coach Greg Marshall if you consider Kansas "west", which I think most people do.

Alford is at New Mexico fyi. Steve Fisher is at SDSU

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should hire Coach Kobe
Y0Ck6.gif

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is steve alford a real possibility? thatd be a badass hire. we definitely have more to offer than some shitty college in a random state where Americans are the minority

Rumors are he was in Blacksburg yesterday, so if he wasn't interested I doubt he'd make the trip. He certainly has the resume, but I am not sure if a Bobby Knight disciple is the way Weaver wants to go.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what direction do u think weaver wants to go? we need to make a splash. outside of shaka, idk how many other good names are out there. we cant get some little known guy like someone who coached at marshall for a year. we need to use this opportunity to get our program on the right path, and for the future.
i would love to get steve alford. he has shown he can do well with a weak brand in new mexico. im sure he wants to get into a big time conference. outside of shaka, he would be my favorite.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the acc is a lot deeper now. duke, unc, fsu, nc state, uva, BC will be nice in the next year or two (so incredibly young and new coach) gt has a new arena coming, wake can only be bad for so long, clemson is always decent and starting to show more commitment to bball, miami is even coming along. and two more major bball schools coming soon. if we dont make something big happen now, we will be an annual cellar dweller for years to come.

....i still wish we could just go to the SEC. get out of this bball conference. but thats for another day!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
what direction do u think weaver wants to go? we need to make a splash. outside of shaka, idk how many other good names are out there. we cant get some little known guy like someone who coached at marshall for a year. we need to use this opportunity to get our program on the right path, and for the future.
i would love to get steve alford. he has shown he can do well with a weak brand in new mexico. im sure he wants to get into a big time conference. outside of shaka, he would be my favorite.

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with our eventual hire. Virginia Tech is not going to hire a big name coach, IMO. It's likely we'll end up with an assistant, or a mid-major head coach. I've heard acouple WTF names, names lower on the totem pole than what I've read here. There just is not a history of hiring big name coaches at Tech. There aren't a ton of big names unemployed or that haven't turned down better jobs either.

As for Steve Alford: he has coached in a big time conference. All accounts I've read was that he disliked the pressure on the court and in the classroom. He threw his name in for several jobs outside of the Big Ten including CUSA gigs. That's why he left Iowa, a similar situation as VT, for New Mexico. That's not to say he won't try again, just that there is a reason to believe he'd rather stay out there.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It comes down to timing and money. This late in the year, options are limited. We know that. But money will be a bigger decision maker. We owe Seth $1.2. We're also not going to pay a coach more than Beamer at $2.3. Guys like Shaka, Mike Painter (Purdue), Mooney, and Marshall are out because it's going to cost too much to bring them here and get them out of their current deals. Prohm is the likely guy because he makes very little and could easily be hired with our range. Alford is a possibility as he makes near what Seth was making.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It comes down to timing and money. This late in the year, options are limited. We know that. But money will be a bigger decision maker. We owe Seth $1.2. We're also not going to pay a coach more than Beamer at $2.3. Guys like Shaka, Mike Painter (Purdue), Mooney, and Marshall are out because it's going to cost too much to bring them here and get them out of their current deals. Prohm is the likely guy because he makes very little and could easily be hired with our range. Alford is a possibility as he makes near what Seth was making.

It just seems like this should have been part of the calculation BEFORE firing Seth.

He was a pretty good coach, and it wouldn't have cost that much to carry him another year, even with the hiring of assistants. If they just wanted to do something temporary, perhaps they should have fired Seth two months ago and let Johnson take over for a year and see what happened.

I suppose it just didn't unfold that way.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a little chatter (read: fake rumors) about Mike Brey being interested. If people thought Shaka would be a grand slam hire, this guy would be beyond that. Never gonna happen though imo

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard a little chatter (read: fake rumors) about Mike Brey being interested. If people thought Shaka would be a grand slam hire, this guy would be beyond that. Never gonna happen though imo

Heard that rumor too. If the rumor of his interest is even remotely true, I'm gonna guess it's a play for him to get a pay raise. Don't see him coming here. I think whoever we hire is going to either be a coach at a mid-major like Prohm, or a complete head scratcher that most of us haven't heard of before.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that rumor too. If the rumor of his interest is even remotely true, I'm gonna guess it's a play for him to get a pay raise. Don't see him coming here. I think whoever we hire is going to either be a coach at a mid-major like Prohm, or a complete head scratcher that most of us haven't heard of before.

Unfortunately I agree. I heard there's mutual interest with the Wofford head coach... Not exactly the hire I'm looking for

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd LOVE to see Mike Brey sign on.

What VT needs is for the new coach to look like an upgrade from Greenberg, and that would do it.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miss St guys seem to think we're talking to Rick Stansbury. I don't know much about basketball, would this be a good thing?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VTScoop is tweeting that Weaver has decided on his finalists and we could have a new coach "by" the weekend.

My weekend starts in 4+ hours. Regardless, I am sure there will be a presser announced for Monday again.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't consider Prohm, Lutz or Marshall a big name.

I didn't know much about Bobby Lutz until recently, I think he would be as good a bet as anyone that were really looking at.

Prohm would probably be my first choice. If were gonna go the assistant route, I'd vote for James Johnson.

Marshall sounds pretty unlikely since he's already got a big contract with a lot of perks and some of the same personality traits that CSG had that rubbed Weaver the wrong way.