• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA WC Qualifying

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
557477_517310181685039_695000832_n.jpg

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first legitimate game/challenge the US has played in quite a long time - I have had this game marked for a long time. This game proved every thing I feared.... the US amassed a 12 game winning streak against mediocre soccer nations, B and C level squads in various friendlies and a talentless Gold Cup pool.

So, with something on the line (first place in WC Qualifying and pride after the "Snow Job") and A team versus A team, the US got thumped, lacked composure and proved that they are not ready for primetime. Furthermore, they are going to be short a few players on Tuesday making WC qualifying no longer a sure thing.

Ye, it's just one loss, but Costa Rica will get thumped in Brazil - they are not a powerhouse. And if we get handled by Costa Rica, what does that say about us heading into Brazil? Not much.... the US back line continues to be a mess on set pieces and is turning the ball over with great frequency. Jermaine Jones has always been a massive head scratcher for me. He lacks creativity and quickness.... I just do not get it. And Altidore losing his composure makes me think this team has no concept of the big picture.

This was a benchmark game and the litmus test to see how far US Soccer has evolved under Klinsman. And the team failed. We are still a team that will get a difficult WC draw and be lucky to advance to the knockout. Pretenders until we shore up our back line.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that sure didn't go well. Missing Bradley REALLY hurt. Hope he can play vs. Mexico. Surprised Klins didn't put Beckerman out there in his place, or Mix. Especially after seeing how the game developed. Cameron and Jones do not have the creativity we needed. Play one of them, but not both. Not in a game like this, anyway.

Beckerman has no creativity and slows the game down. Should've been Mix.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from what I'm gathering now, the USA can secure a Brazil trip AND knock Mexico out of the WC on Tuesday.

How is that possible? At least the part about eliminating Mexico out of the WC? If Mexico loses I don't think they're eliminated because Honduras & Panama face each other so worst case scenario is that they're 2 points behind Panama for 4th place entering the final 2 games

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckerman has no creativity and slows the game down. Should've been Mix.

:agree:

Beckerman doesn't need to be seeing the field with our A-team

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss could turn out to be a great thing. Wake guys up, highlighted some areas we need to work on, I think we wind up rebounding and being better as a result.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having Mix in there was more shocking to me than Bradley getting hurt before the game. WTF is Klinsmann still experimenting with the roster?

If you would have bet that Mexico would play 4 qualifiers in the Azteca against Jamaica, Panama, US, and Honduras, and not win a single game, you would have got some ridiculous, lottery winning type odds. They're so desperate they even benched Chicharito to start the game.

To answer another poster, no, the US cannot eliminate Mexico Tuesday, but they can qualify with a win and a little help. Worst case scenario for Mexico is they drop 2 points behind Panama with 2 games left, which doesn't eliminate them.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss could turn out to be a great thing. Wake guys up, highlighted some areas we need to work on, I think we wind up rebounding and being better as a result.

The US team has not had a big win since Portugal in 2002. Tell me of another big US soccer win that was not a friendly or a meaningless tournament? Maybe Confed Cup against Spain, but that Tourney is suspect.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Besler getting suspended against Mexico was a good thing.

Altidore's yellow was beyond idiotic, but I'm hoping to see both Mix and Johansson get the nod. Let's see what the ice man can do.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The US team has not had a big win since Portugal in 2002. Tell me of another big US soccer win that was not a friendly or a meaningless tournament? Maybe Confed Cup against Spain, but that Tourney is suspect.

The answer is who cares? Those teams are not this team. New manager, new players, it literally has no bearing on what this team can do going forward.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So a win against Portugal in group play of the world cup is bigger than beating Mexico to advance to the WC Quarter finals?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is who cares? Those teams are not this team. New manager, new players, it literally has no bearing on what this team can do going forward.

I think an evolution, learning curve is important. However, I have yet to see the United States win big games in big situations. Not in '94, '98, '06 or '10. We can't even handle our business on the road in our own backyard.

Look, the US is better off than it was 20 years ago, but still a middle of the road, average squad.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a win against Portugal in group play of the world cup is bigger than beating Mexico to advance to the WC Quarter finals?

Uh, Mexico is not that good. Average, middle of the road team. At least Portugal has to go through European qualifying.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody can even post a legit US soccer win in the past 10 years.... I watch every game with pride, but I'm not going to drink the Kool-Aid and pretend this team is elite when it is not. Last night was no exception.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody has the US as an elite team. Has anybody put them in the same class as Germany/Spain or even saying they're a top 10 team? I believe we're ranked 19th right now? I would say anywhere between 18-25 is about right. And in a 1 loss elimination tournament anything is possible.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody has the US as an elite team. Has anybody put them in the same class as Germany/Spain or even saying they're a top 10 team? I believe we're ranked 19th right now? I would say anywhere between 18-25 is about right. And in a 1 loss elimination tournament anything is possible.

I'd say top 50. We can't beat Ghana for crying out loud and they are not world beaters.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the first legitimate game/challenge the US has played in quite a long time - I have had this game marked for a long time. This game proved every thing I feared.... the US amassed a 12 game winning streak against mediocre soccer nations, B and C level squads in various friendlies and a talentless Gold Cup pool.

So, with something on the line (first place in WC Qualifying and pride after the "Snow Job") and A team versus A team, the US got thumped, lacked composure and proved that they are not ready for primetime. Furthermore, they are going to be short a few players on Tuesday making WC qualifying no longer a sure thing.

Ye, it's just one loss, but Costa Rica will get thumped in Brazil - they are not a powerhouse. And if we get handled by Costa Rica, what does that say about us heading into Brazil? Not much.... the US back line continues to be a mess on set pieces and is turning the ball over with great frequency. Jermaine Jones has always been a massive head scratcher for me. He lacks creativity and quickness.... I just do not get it. And Altidore losing his composure makes me think this team has no concept of the big picture.

This was a benchmark game and the litmus test to see how far US Soccer has evolved under Klinsman. And the team failed. We are still a team that will get a difficult WC draw and be lucky to advance to the knockout. Pretenders until we shore up our back line.

You are overreacting big time to a road L in world cup qualifying. I never thought we would win. I thought at best we would get a draw. BTW in the gold cup we used our B team as well. We will beat Mexico in world up qualifying and we are in great shape to make the WC. This team is not close to being in jeopardy of not making the WC. Costa Rica and the US will make the World Cup. You make your stupid comments about USA win streak like it is their problem that they play in North America where teams are not that great. What were they suppose to do? Play 12 teams in Europe even though that is not their region?

BTW one of the US wins during the 12 game win streak came on the road against 13th ranked Bosnia-Herzegovina and yes both teams used their top guys.

Anyway back to the US WC Qualifying. They play 2 home games against Mexico and Jamaica which should be 4 points at least..Probably more like 6. Not only will the USA make the WC but they will win the group. They're 1 point behind Costa Rica and Costa Rica next 2 games are on the road against Jamaica & Honduras before playing Mexico.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say top 50. We can't beat Ghana for crying out loud and they are not world beaters.

Different team, Different coach, and btw the next WC begins those games would be 4 and 8 years old. It is irrelevant to our 2014 WC chances