• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UK is going to be a Beast

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what's scary about UK right now, besides the fact that they're going to block 30 shots a game and get 93% of their offensive misses, is that Cal really has them playing unselfishly. I'm extremely impressed with the job he is doing. They really are passing it well (Towns especially, very good passer for a big man).

I'm still of the mindset that they aren't very good offensively and that will catch up to them. They don't have anybody like Randle and that's a problem. Poythress actually thinks he should be shooting threes, which is scary.

The biggest weakness that they have on defense is that their guards can't actually guard anybody (Ullis not included, he's such a pest on the ball), but that doesn't matter this year because every time a Harrison gets beat off the dribble there is a Cauley-Stein or a Towns there to block or change the shot. That's what scares me about facing them, although we are much more athletic than Kansas and have much better finishers so that's a good thing.

Kentucky is definitely not worried about fouls because of their platoon system, so teams will get into the bonus quickly and against good free throw shooting teams (unlike Kansas) that will definitely keep teams in the game every once in a while. Kentucky has the huge bonus of foul trouble not being an issue at all, nobody else in the country can say that (well, maybe Duke unless it's Okafor getting into the foul trouble).
I kind of disagree about not having anyone like Randle. The thing about the platoon system, the guys all had 17-18 minutes last night and every night. So you could basically take all the 8 point, 6 rebound 3 blocks games from their big's and double them if they were playing the minutes Randle played last year. Johnson is a load in the low post. I think KAT and Lyles will both be guys that will demand double teams. WCS and Lee are just defensive demons. I do think Cal needs to take Poythress to the side and tell him to quit jacking 3's and drive the ball. The twins look even better than last year, but Ulis and Booker are even better than advertised. If this team stays healthy and unselfish, there will only be a handful of teams that will even have a CHANCE to beat them come March. The two teams that jump out to me are Wisconsin and Texas, The Badgers because of their system and experience and the Horns because they actually can match up size wise

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree.. I've yet to see anyone emerge as that go to offensive threat yet. But they also haven't needed it. The upcoming match-ups against Louisville, UNC and Texas will hopefully be more telling.

I can't wait for the Texas game. The Horns got all 5 starters back and added Myles Turner....that should be a heavyweight battle. Would love to see what would happen if the running Horns try and run with us

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for the Texas game. The Horns got all 5 starters back and added Myles Turner....that should be a heavyweight battle. Would love to see what would happen if the running Horns try and run with us

If they're smart, you won't see that! :)

In my opinion, that's what makes Bo Ryan one of the best coaches in the game. He also comes in with a great plan and forces the other team out of their comfort zone... and this is what teams will need to do if they want to beat Kentiucky.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In my opinion, that's what makes Bo Ryan one of the best coaches in the game. He also comes in with a great plan and forces the other team out of their comfort zone... and this is what teams will need to do if they want to beat Kentiucky.

Yep, Ryan has the talent to go along with the system. Both teams are going to be better than last year come March, would be a great game to watch

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not be much of a contest. 9 mcdonald's all-americans? hopefully they play selfish and 5 experienced guys can beat them in march.

Unfortunately UK also has some experience, deep tourney experience. Though it's a small sample size not one player (on that loaded roster) has scored more than 16 points, in one contest, through 3 games. I think that trend continues. They simply don't need any one player to put up 20 ppg, nor will any one player get 30+ mpg.

Not to say that won't change if the white platoon struggles.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yessir, It's going to take some talent and a great game plan to get past UK that's for sure.

It's going to require some amazing guard play and some bigs that can at least hang around enough to let the guards do there thing effectively. And since Texas has some of that, they have a chance.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that really the comparison you want to draw? Do you not know the history of UCLA's recruiting? Does the name Sam Gilbert ring a bell?

lol...it does to me...and UK sure doesn't need that comparison

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say this the other day after the UK vs BU game but I was completely wrong about Booker. That freshman is legit and I was impressed not only by his shooting but also his court awareness. Kid can ball and definitely gives that second group much needed floor spacing especially for dakari to work down low. I know UK didn't play that well most of the game but I would imagine seeing Booker step up like that has to make UK fans feel pretty good

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan just missed out on both Booker and Blackmon. Blackmon is tearing it up at IU. We did land Chatman but thus far he has struggled, heavily. Really need him to develop sooner than later.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meant to say this the other day after the UK vs BU game but I was completely wrong about Booker. That freshman is legit and I was impressed not only by his shooting but also his court awareness. Kid can ball and definitely gives that second group much needed floor spacing especially for dakari to work down low. I know UK didn't play that well most of the game but I would imagine seeing Booker step up like that has to make UK fans feel pretty good

Really an outstanding freshman class for UK this year. Everyone knew Lyles and KAT were studs, but Ulis and Booker have been fantastic

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would disagree. I think to beat UK, you need to speed up the tempo. Given the length, it only plays into their Hands to play a game in the half court. UK is huge, but not the fastest team. Luis is young and Harrison has had turnover issues for most of his career. He cleaned that up in the tourney, but I don't think he is the greatest balling handling PG.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree. I think to beat UK, you need to speed up the tempo. Given the length, it only plays into their Hands to play a game in the half court. UK is huge, but not the fastest team. Luis is young and Harrison has had turnover issues for most of his career. He cleaned that up in the tourney, but I don't think he is the greatest balling handling PG.

I think that's the exact opposite of what to do.

UK has been a complete shitstorm every season under Calipari in the half court. Don't get me wrong, the team is great, but their half court offense is a fucking joke. As great as the 2012 team was they scored almost all of their points in transition. (mostly off of Davis blocks and outlet passes) But when they had to play the half court game it's the same thing every season... Everybody stands around for for most of the shot clock. There might be a couple of token passes around the perimeter, but usually no real motion from anybody with or without the ball. Once the shot clock starts winding down they either chuck up a contested shot or whoever has the ball lowers his head, barrels into the lane, and flings the ball at the hoop hoping to draw contact. (and they usually do) The trouble this year is that UK is so good on the offensive glass, that they can afford to kill a shot clock, hoist up a prayer, and rely on their bigs to get a put back. Basically what I'm saying is UK is going to get theirs regardless. Unless you can manage to play such tight defense that they don't even manage to get a shot off, they're going to score points on nearly every possession.

I think the trick is to actually play old school Bo Ryan Big10, boring ass, slow basketball. That's not to say that you need to kill the shot clock every time, but they key is make every possession count. Very efficient teams are going to do better against UK. Good ball movement and good outside shooting is what's going to beat UK this year.

If you try and turn it into a track meet, UK will beat most teams 100 times out of 100 in that scenario. The best example of that I can think of was the Sweet 16 game against IU a few years ago. IU actually played great and scored a ton. But UK was better and scored even more. IU was never really in that game. And this UK team is actually better at that style than the 2012 team was.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UK has been a complete shitstorm every season under Calipari in the half court. Don't get me wrong, the team is great, but their half court offense is a fucking joke. As great as the 2012 team was they scored almost all of their points in transition. (mostly off of Davis blocks and outlet passes) But when they had to play the half court game it's the same thing every season... Everybody stands around for for most of the shot clock. There might be a couple of token passes around the perimeter, but usually no real motion from anybody with or without the ball. Once the shot clock starts winding down they either chuck up a contested shot or whoever has the ball lowers his head, barrels into the lane, and flings the ball at the hoop hoping to draw contact. (and they usually do) The trouble this year is that UK is so good on the offensive glass, that they can afford to kill a shot clock, hoist up a prayer, and rely on their bigs to get a put back. Basically what I'm saying is UK is going to get theirs regardless. Unless you can manage to play such tight defense that they don't even manage to get a shot off, they're going to score points on nearly every possession.

I think the trick is to actually play old school Bo Ryan Big10, boring ass, slow basketball. That's not to say that you need to kill the shot clock every time, but they key is make every possession count. Very efficient teams are going to do better against UK. Good ball movement and good outside shooting is what's going to beat UK this year.

If you try and turn it into a track meet, UK will beat most teams 100 times out of 100 in that scenario. The best example of that I can think of was the Sweet 16 game against IU a few years ago. IU actually played great and scored a ton. But UK was better and scored even more. IU was never really in that game. And this UK team is actually better at that style than the 2012 team was.

I will respectfully disagree.

#1: Towns. He is the best freshman to play at UK. He has talent, but his game is very developed. That is the difference between him and some of the other kids. Most have had exceptional talent, but came in with low basketball IQs. I have been very impressed with his passing ability above all. Run the half court through him. He requires a double team and at 7', he sees over it and hits the open man. Ulis is arguably the best true PG UK has seen. Again this is about passing and running an offense, not talent and scoring ability
#2: Slowing it down and going zone is a sketchy proposition. Harrison can shoot and trying to get out on a 6'6" shooter is tough. Booker on the other squad is dangerous. Most concerning about zone is trying to get a body on a body. Likely to get destroyed on the boards.
#3 half-court game is more about the front court. If there is a weakness on UK it is in the backcourt and ball handling.

I think Duke would be a very tough match-up

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will respectfully disagree.

#1: Towns. He is the best freshman to play at UK. He has talent, but his game is very developed. That is the difference between him and some of the other kids. Most have had exceptional talent, but came in with low basketball IQs. I have been very impressed with his passing ability above all. Run the half court through him. He requires a double team and at 7', he sees over it and hits the open man. Ulis is arguably the best true PG UK has seen. Again this is about passing and running an offense, not talent and scoring ability

That's a great in theory, but that won't happen. It didn't happen in 2010. It didn't happen in 2011. It didn't happen in 2012. It didn't happen in 2013. It didn't happen last season, and it won't happen this season. I haven't seen Calipari run a half court offense worth a shit since he's been at UK. All the talent in the world isn't going to change that. (He's had all the talent in the world every season he's been at UK)

And in the context of the conversation (what it would take to beat UK) you need to beat them at what they're actually playing, not how you think they should play. And they way they are playing this season is a shitty half court game just like every other season.

#2: Slowing it down and going zone is a sketchy proposition. Harrison can shoot and trying to get out on a 6'6" shooter is tough. Booker on the other squad is dangerous. Most concerning about zone is trying to get a body on a body. Likely to get destroyed on the boards.

You can play zone or man against UK, I don't think it really matters. UK is going to score on most possession, regardless. As I said above, it isn't about stopping UK, the way to beat them is play smart on the offensive end.

#3 half-court game is more about the front court. If there is a weakness on UK it is in the backcourt and ball handling.

I think Duke would be a very tough match-up

Depends on which platoon you're talking about but Ulis is an excellent ball handler. If a team started pressing and Harrison couldn't handle it, Ulis should be able to come in and pick up the slack.

I agree that Duke would be a tough match up for UK (and to a lesser degree, Wisky) because both play smart ball, they are very efficient on the offensive end. Cook has been lighting it up from outside, and that's a must to beat UK. You'll note that Buffalo had a guy go crazy from beyond the arc in the 1st half, and wouldn't you know it, Buffalo was leading at the half. Boston kept it close in the first half for the same reason.

Amazing shooting will almost always triumph, regardless of who you're playing. In most cases if you don't have an amazing shooting night it isn't the end of the world, but in the case of UK, they will punish you for missing a shot more than most.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You shoot 15-18 from 3 and you beat probably anyone. We shall see on the rest. I see a much more team oriented play so far in this young season. Generally it takes a Calipari team 2-3 months to get past the "me" ball. This team seems to be well beyond that at this juncture.

As for ball handling you are right. Ulis is terrific, but it is the others that are a concern. Trap Ulis and test UK's secondary ball handlers.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Control the tempo, get some open looks away from the basket and you've got a shot.

Does kentucky have that go to guy this year? Randall was the man last year and none of the returning guys seemed to be quite that prolific on offense. Unless it's one of these new guys, then UK still doesn't have an outstanding offensive threat.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Control the tempo, get some open looks away from the basket and you've got a shot.

Does kentucky have that go to guy this year? Randall was the man last year and none of the returning guys seemed to be quite that prolific on offense. Unless it's one of these new guys, then UK still doesn't have an outstanding offensive threat.

UK played their best ball in the tourney and that was hardly the Randle show. Nobody averaged 15 pts. 4 guys over 11. . UK is returning to starters that averaged double digits. Towns is a terrific prospect. Just too much talent on the court for any one person to dominate. You can bet after the tourney that if UK needs a bucket it, Harrison will get a look.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK played their best ball in the tourney and that was hardly the Randle show. Nobody averaged 15 pts. 4 guys over 11. . UK is returning to starters that averaged double digits. Towns is a terrific prospect. Just too much talent on the court for any one person to dominate. You can bet after the tourney that if UK needs a bucket it, Harrison will get a look.

I thought that Booker was supposed to be the lights out shooter.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that Booker was supposed to be the lights out shooter.

He is supposed to be, but he is young. He is averaging almost 10 a game at a ~45% shooting clip. 3rd leading scoring, so he is off to a nice start. Way too early to make judgements.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is supposed to be, but he is young. He is averaging almost 10 a game at a ~45% shooting clip. 3rd leading scoring, so he is off to a nice start. Way too early to make judgements.

Wasn't trying to be judgmental regarding Booker. Sorry if it came off that way. I agree with you that Harrison would be the goto guy if you need to hit a buzzer beater, but I think if you're just trying to get the offense going I would think that Booker and maybe even Lyles might be higher on my list than Harrison.

But certainly no shame in averaging almost 10 a game when you're only playing about 20 minutes per game.