• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UK is going to be a Beast

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to disagree in any way that Wisconsin is a great team but I'm not sold on them being better than UK. Zona has a ton of talent but we'll see how far they can go.

UK is returning 60% of scoring from a Final Four Team and may I remind you that the "run" was made without Willie Cauley-Stein from the Sweet 16 on.

I don't believe UK needs the last second shots to beat Michigan or Wisconsin if Willie played healthy. Just an opinion. I'm not saying we beat Uconn with him because they hit every big shot when we made a run but again, UK made that run without him starting half way through the Sweet 16 game.

What gives UK the edge IMO is that they could lose their best player and still have a chance to win the Championship. If WCS goes down again, it's KAT and DJ. It's like that across the board for them. No other team can say that. If Zona loses Stanley Johnson ...

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What gives UK the edge IMO is that they could lose their best player and still have a chance to win the Championship. If WCS goes down again, it's KAT and DJ. It's like that across the board for them. No other team can say that. If Zona loses Stanley Johnson ...

It's almost a complete unknown no matter what. If Johnson goes down, we do have some pretty good depth in the back court. Now, does that depth consist of MAAs? No. But UK's backups for the Harrison bros are freshmen, so who actually knows how that will work in terms of the dropoff from starter to bench.

AZ has Gabe York (a junior with a solid shot, and stiff defense), and Elliott Pitts (a sophomore who will make strides this year). We actually have another SG who was the national JC player last year. Who knows? But as packed as UK's bench is, they are still freshmen. An injury to any teams's starter is going to hurt.

Hell, AZ lost a player last year that many considered to be our glue guy (Ashley), and we were still an overtime loss by one away from the FF. And I think we have a better team this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Arizona is not dependent on Stanley. Losing him would be a big loss but we actually have depth this season. Don't act as if UK is the only team with depth.

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Injuries play a huge role in tourney runs IMO. I still think Iowa State wins the title last year if Niang doesnt get hurt so I hear your point.

The difference is that Iowa State loses a player to injury and fall short of making a run... UK loses one of their starters and arguably the best defender and was still able to make a run beating teams like Wisconsin who some (not just you) are claiming to be the best in the land.

I could be wrong and we'll obviously never know but again, I believe UK wins that game by 8 or more had Willie played. Just my opinion.

For the record, I'm not a "homer"... but I the only thing I see stopping UK this year is injury. I believe they hated losing the way they did early on and those that stayed have learned from that. Not saying it's UK and everyone else because anything can happen but my goodness, they're loaded.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cats will not lose a game all year. It's been awhile since a team has gone wire to wire. Looks to me like Kentucky has a chance to do just that. Their problem is with all that talent there is just one ball.

Though predicting a perfect season is probably as close to a death blow as it can get.....I sure don't know who has the studs to run with UK this season.

And he (runeman) said he likes their chances......not so much they will. I'm good with the statement.

Come on Jonvi don't defend the dude just because you feel bad that the season hasn't started and I'm already ripping into him. He brings it on himself and you know it

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed so but then again Kentucky's always good.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Jonvi don't defend the dude just because you feel bad that the season hasn't started and I'm already ripping into him. He brings it on himself and you know it

lmao...he deserves it so have at it. :suds:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there was talk of going undefeated last season but I think that was primarily UK fans getting caught up in the recruiting hype.

I don't think they'll do it this year either, but I think this team has a better shot at it than any in recent memory. Their depth really does add a different dimension to the equation. If the platoon system really holds up over the season, all of the guys should have pretty fresh legs all game long. If they end up pressing, they could quite literally just wear most teams out. They look to be more tolerant of injury than any team I can remember. When good teams loose it usually involves shooting slumps from one or more players... but I can't imagine a scenario where all of those guys go cold. When you can legitimately go 12 deep someone has to have the hot hand.

Sure there is always a possibility of chemistry issues and things like that, but if UK plays to their potential I think they could do it. (probably won't, just to be clear, but I don't think talk of it is as ridiculous as years past)

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisky is looking good....putting them in the class with a few others shooting for 2nd place. I don't have any team in a class with UK this season.

<

I'm just not finding 5 losses on this schedule.

I dont see 2 either

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisky is looking good....putting them in the class with a few others shooting for 2nd place. I don't have any team in a class with UK this season.

<

I'm just not finding 5 losses on this schedule.

I think they lose two or three. Kansas, North Carolina, Louisville, Texas, a couple with Florida, the rest of the SEC schedule and tourney.....awesome team, but they aren't going undefeated against that. If they do, they are the greatest team ever

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The games on 13, 20 and 27 December are going to be a blast. And are going to tell us much about this team.

It's next to impossible to run the table in bball. Even Billy D's 07 team didn't go undefeated. There are just too many kids everywhere that can get hot and take over a game. But this UK team looks damn good to me and I still believe them to be a cut above everyone right now.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UK 121 Georgetown(KY) 52. Enough with the scrubs...can't wait to see us tee it up in Kansas in a couple of weeks

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For once I'll buy into their preseason hype ONLY because they have experience now and not just a bunch of highly ranked freshmen.

Still think Arizona will be the best team in the country next year, though.

I'm not. They look good on paper just like last year, but there's a reason all these 5 star guys didn't head to NBA. They'll have to prove they can play consistent ball w/out Randall in the line up. But who knows, maybe someone from their incoming class will step up, be the leader and make this team gel.