• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tree Talk with the Hokie Horticulurists

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One live oak is thought to be 1400 years old.

Live oaks aren't indigenous to the central Alabama region where Auburn is.... therefore there shouldn't be any 1400 year old ones there.

Live Oaks are indeed indigenous to central Alabama...

Auburn's lead professor of horticulture disagrees....Keever noted that live oaks are not native to central Alabama, “but they have survived here since 1890.”

You just totally reinforced my point. Perhaps not indigenous, or native, but...

:burt:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I knew there must be a thread this could be attached to.

What surprises me is that people don't at least google their facts instead of just making them up.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I never claimed a live oak could not survive here...was just saying that they are not indigenous here, and therefor not a thousand years old. You said they were, and I supplied the evidence that they are not. Never thought I would get in an argument about the age and origin of Alabama trees on a VT sports board, but I guess there's a first time for everything. :pound:

1) I never claimed that Auburn (or Alabama) had a 1400 year old live oak. I only stated that one existed east of the Mississippi that was that old. You misread what I posted. I was responding to scores who was talking about age of forests.

"Live Oak trees in the south are considered to be the oldest living things East of the Mississippi. One live oak is thought to be 1400 years old."

2) I always think of the word indigenous as meaning something like "being there". Per websters online, the first definition has growing, iving which is the sense I used. The second definition is what you intended, which is more akin to native. Since both trees at Auburn are over 100 years old, my statement that they are indigenous is correct.

Definition of INDIGENOUS

1: produced, growing, living, or occurring naturally in a particular region or environment <indigenous plants> <the indigenous culture>
2: innate, inborn

Indigenous - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It really makes no difference, whether its first, second, or tenth accepted definition. Growing, Living is an accepted use.

can we stop this stupid semantic bullshit now?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has asked it so I have to, do we really have a thread about trees?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even more amazing is that someone is arguing over the meaning of the word indigenous.

Oh, and underlining isn't really the same as a source, though I did look it up and some sources do claim the Angel Oak is 1400 years old, though the City of Charleston itself lists it as being 300-400 years old.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and underlining isn't really the same as a source,

what do you mean that underlining isn't the same as a source?

Its a hyperlink to a source, and thats why its underlined. Jeez dude. Enough already. Its a fucking tree.

And, FWIW, Seven Sisters in LA is a 1500 year old live oak, so whatever point you thought you were making is kafuckingput.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I never claimed that Auburn (or Alabama) had a 1400 year old live oak. I only stated that one existed east of the Mississippi that was that old. You misread what I posted. I was responding to scores who was talking about age of forests.

"Live Oak trees in the south are considered to be the oldest living things East of the Mississippi. One live oak is thought to be 1400 years old."

2) I always think of the word indigenous as meaning something like "being there". Per websters online, the first definition has growing, iving which is the sense I used. The second definition is what you intended, which is more akin to native. Since both trees at Auburn are over 100 years old, my statement that they are indigenous is correct.

Definition of INDIGENOUS

1: produced, growing, living, or occurring naturally in a particular region or environment <indigenous plants> <the indigenous culture>
2: innate, inborn

Indigenous - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It really makes no difference, whether its first, second, or tenth accepted definition. Growing, Living is an accepted use.

can we stop this stupid semantic bullshit now?

530b.jpg

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what do you mean that underlining isn't the same as a source?

Its a hyperlink to a source, and thats why its underlined. Jeez dude. Enough already. Its a fucking tree.

And, FWIW, Seven Sisters in LA is a 1500 year old live oak, so whatever point you thought you were making is kafuckingput.

Funny, it's not a hyperlink on my end.

You're the one spouting conjecture as if fact, and when being called on it, trying to weasel word your way out instead of admitting that you're incorrect.

To the degree of neg-repping me when I called you on it, and trying to re-define "indigenous".

Give it a rest.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, it's not a hyperlink on my end.

You're the one spouting conjecture as if fact, and when being called on it, trying to weasel word your way out instead of admitting that you're incorrect.

To the degree of neg-repping me when I called you on it, and trying to re-define "indigenous".

Give it a rest.

re-rep!:dance:

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know the recruiting season is slow when we're looking up the ages of trees and the meaning of the word "indigenous".

We're all pulling for the same team, I think.

But my original comment was that VT should be able to compete in the "old trees" category, with the old growth forest that is stopping the Hokies from constructing a practice facility next to the stadium. VT should at least get some bragging rights out of that.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: There's a tree thread over here???

Sorry, just had to chime in :focus:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the only way these hippies would be happy is if the practice facility looked like this

l.jpg