• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their needs at corner just aren't even CLOSE to needs in the front 7 of the D not to mention interior OL (Center namely). It's not even CLOSE.

If Seattle takes a CB or S in the 1st let alone 2nd it's an auto F grade from me.

The reason our D was DESTORYED last year was because

1) We couldn't get to the QB consistently (EDGE + DL) - that really hasn't been fixed, Harris couldn't stay healthy but Jones is a MINOR upgrade from him, Reed is... lol whatever.
2) Couldn't cover the middle of the field AT ALL (ALL LBer) which hasn't changed in the slightest outside of Bush being marginally better than Barton (talking < 5% coverage wise), Mafe getting another year (who knows) and Wagner granted is solid but is getting old and his coverage did drop off in Seattle before he left,
3) Couldn't stop the run (one of the worst in the league, again all front 7) which has gotten WORSE (Al Woods and Ford leaving + Brooks' injury and stopping the run was about the only thing he was DECENT at).

Our D didn't suck because of the secondary, and that was WITH an $18M player being out for the year who is STILL on the roster. And his replacement who played great we stupidly let go as one of the dumbest 'letting walk' moves we've made in recent history.

Honestly, I could stomach them taking Richardson (as stupid as that would be) more than a CB or S in the first 2 rounds. I value safety play a lot, but that team has locked up so much draft and cap capital in that fuckin' secondary over the years it's beyond ridiculous. Without a front 7 it doesn't fuckin' work, and they didn't come close to fixing the front 7 this offseason/free agency. Not even CLOSE. A lot of it was just replacements. The front 7 IMO has gotten WORSE. Teams will average 5 YPC at this point against us.
Easy Shark, I'm aware the Seahawks have much more pressing needs that CB or safety for that matter. Even stated that. Just expressing my admiration for Witherspoon.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Campbell with our 20th overall. We need another ILB BADLY (it's probably the biggest glaring hole on our team as Brooks is out) and Campbell fits a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme and is a solid hitter and pretty good in coverage which was one of our worst aspects last year (covering middle of the field). Teams started playing our own personnel with Barton on/off vs. Bryant on/off against the run/mid field passing. It was ridiculous to watch.

What's even more funny is offenses that were putting up points against us like crazy had a ton of starters out lol.
You feel Campbell is worthy of going round 1? I'm not sure myself, but maybe.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Stroud falls to them I think they either try to trade down, but only a few spots or they take a DL. Murphy would be someone to look at with the 20th pick if he's there, but I'd rather have McDonald over Murphy.

I'm less concerned with the specific players. As long as we get an edge rusher, preferably with some size, and an earth mover on the interior, I'm happy.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy Shark, I'm aware the Seahawks have much more pressing needs that CB or safety for that matter. Even stated that. Just expressing my admiration for Witherspoon.

Sorry Harold, you're fine - that was not meant to target you at all. For CB hungry teams he's certainly a viable option, I just don't think we're there.. and he has injury concerns and frankly I'm sick and tired of that with our flippin' secondary >.<

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Richardson going #1 likely he'll be third or fourth off the board. Course seeing how the 49ers traded up for Trey Lance you never know for sure.
Frank Reich had it his way he'd be going 1.1
Panthers taking the safe pick is the smart choice.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty good article by Corbin Smith.

Basically he is saying that the safest position to take is either DT or CB.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very surprised if they take Campbell that early.
very, or did his draft stock exploded for some reason I am not aware of? everything ive seen has him as a 3rd or later pick

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very, or did his draft stock exploded for some reason I am not aware of? everything ive seen has him as a 3rd or later pick

Oh really? I thought he was in the early 2nd range... well good, let's take him in the 3rd.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my latest mock draft from the PFN simulator. I absolutely love the thought of trading down and have a ton of 2nd round picks.

1681490306195.png

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my latest mock draft from the PFN simulator. I absolutely love the thought of trading down and have a ton of 2nd round picks.

View attachment 326094

I mean that's really manipulating the hell out of trades so not sure it's that realistic, BUT I like a lot of the picks. Smith and Campbell are great and I like Tillman/Avila for obvious reasons. Hooker is a great option that late. Don't know much about Schmitz but if that's a dedicated Center you've not got Avila/Brown who can play Guard or Center. With Forsythe/Curhan the depth and backup potential on the OL will be incredible.

Kancey I'm a bit torn on. He seems like a decent 3-4 EDGE pass rusher but everything I've read he doesn't hold up in run well. BUT Smith would certainly help fix that. Don't know much about Nolan Smith.

I've seen a lot of mocks ignore ILB for Seattle and I get there's not a ton of ILB talent in this draft, but it's by far our biggest glaring hole. Wagner only played 75% of the snaps last year which I believe elevated his play, I don't think he'll be effective coming in with 100% snaps, and Bush is a HUGE wildcard in terms of health and just general ability... Brooks is probably out for the season (or most of it) so that leaves Bush/Wagner as starters? WOOF.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean that's really manipulating the hell out of trades so not sure it's that realistic, BUT I like a lot of the picks. Smith and Campbell are great and I like Tillman/Avila for obvious reasons. Hooker is a great option that late. Don't know much about Schmitz but if that's a dedicated Center you've not got Avila/Brown who can play Guard or Center. With Forsythe/Curhan the depth and backup potential on the OL will be incredible.

Kancey I'm a bit torn on. He seems like a decent 3-4 EDGE pass rusher but everything I've read he doesn't hold up in run well. BUT Smith would certainly help fix that. Don't know much about Nolan Smith.

I've seen a lot of mocks ignore ILB for Seattle and I get there's not a ton of ILB talent in this draft, but it's by far our biggest glaring hole. Wagner only played 75% of the snaps last year which I believe elevated his play, I don't think he'll be effective coming in with 100% snaps, and Bush is a HUGE wildcard in terms of health and just general ability... Brooks is probably out for the season (or most of it) so that leaves Bush/Wagner as starters? WOOF.
yeah there is a lot of good talent in the 2nd round and we could plug up a TON of holes if we only had enough picks to do so. Getting a solid DT ( Mazi Smith), an edge, ILB, G, C, and WR all in the top 60 picks would be my dream draft. I like Kancey's potential as a scrapper inside pass rusher that could potentially grow into an absolute beast. I would like to see us draft 3 DL's early in the draft (assuming we were able to get more draft capital) and have a healthy rotation to keep those guys fresh throughout the game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 326094

Completely unrealistic and I hate the notion of giving up on the chance of an elite player just to have a bunch of low probability lottery tickets.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely unrealistic and I hate the notion of giving up on the chance of an elite player just to have a bunch of low probability lottery tickets.
low probability? Lottery tickets are the 5-7 picks. There is still elite talent in the 2nd round. Since 2012 we have drafted 14 guys in the 2nd round. Among them:

Kenneth Walker ('23)
DK Metcalf ('19)
Jarran Reed ('16)
Frank Clark ('15)
Justin Britt ('14)
Bobby Wagner ('12)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
low probability? Lottery tickets are the 5-7 picks. There is still elite talent in the 2nd round. Since 2012 we have drafted 14 guys in the 2nd round. Among them:

Kenneth Walker ('23)
DK Metcalf ('19)
Jarran Reed ('16)
Frank Clark ('15)
Justin Britt ('14)
Bobby Wagner ('12)

Justin Britt was an odd pull but ok.

I'm not suggesting that you can't find quality players in the 2nd round. But the odds are a lot worse.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Will Anderson maybe, I don't think "elite" would be available at pick 5. Don't say Carter because he could be a complete bust.
Be great to have more top 50 picks given how many holes that need filling and the quality in the top 50.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it was a dry QB class I could see it, but there are at least two really good options it that no one would fault you for taking
I can nitpick all the QB prospects in this class to death, but I'd say that this class is light years better than last years. I'd take Young, Stroud, Richardson, Levis and Hooker over any of the QBs in last year's class.

Richardson and Levis are two of those guys with the tools, but lack production. I feel like for every toolsy QB with "potential" who works out, there are 10 others who end up being busts.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Dalton was signed to be a back up and mentor, there is no way that whichever QB they draft at #1 won't be the starter week 1. You do not trade multiple first round picks to get a guy you don't plan to play, but to set a plan in motion for a QB who is a bottom teir starter who hasn;t QBed a winning record since 2015. Dude is barely serviceable if your starter goes down, and his 2 year $10 million contract tells you everything you need to know about how the NFL views his ability at this time in his career.

I understand you're trying to be a devil's advocate here, but it would be one of the worst draft choices in memory, and I can remember a kicker drafted in the first round.
I don't think the Panthers will select Anthony Richardson #1, but if they did, they'd be idiotic to start him year one. Even the pundits who are highest on Richardson say he shouldn't be playing year one.

It goes back to me being devil's advocate as you mentioned, but as I've mentioned I personally think Anthony Richardson will be a bust, but I can see how a team would be enamored with his potential.

My personal opinion is that I could definitely see Richardson falling relative to where he's being mocked at. The gap between his floor and ceiling is just too large. His ceiling is Josh Allen's arm and a faster version of Cam Newton. His floor is not even being a serviceable backup QB in the NFL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading and watching a bunch about the WRs in this class, and given the lack of activity by the Seahawks in free agency at WR it seems likely they take a WR either day one or day two.

The great news for the Seahawks on this class is that if you look at the top 6 WRs in this draft - I think there's a big fall off after that - 5 of them (Njigba, Addison, Hyatt, Flowers and Downs), all project as best in the slot.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Will Anderson maybe, I don't think "elite" would be available at pick 5. Don't say Carter because he could be a complete bust.
Be great to have more top 50 picks given how many holes that need filling and the quality in the top 50.
Lol as I read your post I was about to respond "Jalen Carter."

Will Anderson Jr., yes definitely. I think you might be able to squeeze Tyree Wilson into that category. The Seahawks might like him a lot as he can play edge and slide inside on passing downs similar to Michael Bennett. I feel like they've been searching for a Michael Bennett clone for years now and haven't been successful.