• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be the first QB class that goes 1,2,3,4 in NFL history. I don't think that qualifies as dry. Last year's QB class was dry.
if it were dry, I could see richardson going #1, that is what I meant.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it were dry, I could see richardson going #1, that is what I meant.
I don't see Richardson going #1 likely he'll be third or fourth off the board. Course seeing how the 49ers traded up for Trey Lance you never know for sure.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson shouldn't even be smelling the 1st round yet people are talking about him going top 5. yeah that means dry to me. If Mayfield or Dornald were in this class they would be the top two QB's.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After signing Andy Dalton, they could let Richardson sit and learn behind him for a year. Nobody thinks he should be starting year one.

I think it would be an awful decision, but I could see why they would consider it. The potential is tantalizing. I also don't think it will happen, just clarifying why I think they would consider it.

Andy Dalton was signed to be a back up and mentor, there is no way that whichever QB they draft at #1 won't be the starter week 1. You do not trade multiple first round picks to get a guy you don't plan to play, but to set a plan in motion for a QB who is a bottom teir starter who hasn;t QBed a winning record since 2015. Dude is barely serviceable if your starter goes down, and his 2 year $10 million contract tells you everything you need to know about how the NFL views his ability at this time in his career.

I understand you're trying to be a devil's advocate here, but it would be one of the worst draft choices in memory, and I can remember a kicker drafted in the first round.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson shouldn't even be smelling the 1st round yet people are talking about him going top 5. yeah that means dry to me. If Mayfield or Dornald were in this class they would be the top two QB's.

Either people think teams are more desperate than ever before to land a QB, or they don't think the draft is as deep in other positions as we've been lead to believe.

Or, sports media is so much more concerned with clicks and views that they really don't care about accuracy and credibility anymore - or even the slightest mirage that it exists.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either people think teams are more desperate than ever before to land a QB, or they don't think the draft is as deep in other positions as we've been lead to believe.

Or, sports media is so much more concerned with clicks and views that they really don't care about accuracy and credibility anymore - or even the slightest mirage that it exists.

I'm 50/50 believing that the Richardson hype train is almost entirely media driven and that he will drop into the latter part of the 1st round.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually be surprised if Richardson is drafted in the 1st. Remember all the Malik Willis to Seattle talk at #9 (they were even going on about it on the major sports coverage on Thursday - "And Seattle... after trading Wilson, do they take Willis and their QB of the future here?") and I remember even sites like Walt Football were grading Walker/Lucas a bit low (like B grades) because "IT HAD TO BE WILLIS HERE!" and then he went in the 3rd (later half I believe - almost fell to the 4th) and played crap the limited time he played last year lol. 10 sacks in 60 attempts, LOL.

Richardson is nowhere near as good as Jackson (Jackson was a FAR better runner and while not the best passer steadily improved and almost hit 60% his final year) and Jackson obviously went last in the 1st round. Any team that drafts Richardson in the top 10 gets an F grade from me.

People are acting like he's the best QB athlete in NFL history. Uh, not even close. And out of all positions in NFL, QB is probably #1 where being a great athlete is not really relevant. Mobile QBs generally break too fast, rocket arms are a nice to have but if accuracy, vision, mental ability, leadership qualities, general awareness, ability to make improv plays if a play breaks, etc. are far more important than a rocket arm and being fast.

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are acting like he's the best QB athlete in NFL history. Uh, not even close. And out of all positions in NFL, QB is probably #1 where being a great athlete is not really relevant. Mobile QBs generally break too fast, rocket arms are a nice to have but if accuracy, vision, mental ability, leadership qualities, general awareness, ability to make improv plays if a play breaks, etc. are far more important than a rocket arm and being fast.
Haha... That reminded me of this commercial... "Laser Rocket Arm"

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha... That reminded me of this commercial... "Laser Rocket Arm"

I just imagine Anthony Richardson telling all the scouts:

667eff1f-2c5f-4dde-b21d-5f2f19040c54_text.gif

Again, I think teams may like him and take him, in the 3rd round.

I think all this talk of teams taking him top 5, etc. is ALL a bunch of hype bullshit by the media to get likes and ratings. Yah I guess Trey Lance went #3 overall but pretty sure I gave that an F grade (or D range) with a lol remark as well (which of course all 49ers fans called me jealous - that says it all). At least Lance's one season compared to Richardson's was FAR better (and he had multiple awards).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just imagine Anthony Richardson telling all the scouts:

667eff1f-2c5f-4dde-b21d-5f2f19040c54_text.gif

Again, I think teams may like him and take him, in the 3rd round.

I think all this talk of teams taking him top 5, etc. is ALL a bunch of hype bullshit by the media to get likes and ratings. Yah I guess Trey Lance went #3 overall but pretty sure I gave that an F grade (or D range) with a lol remark as well (which of course all 49ers fans called me jealous - that says it all). At least Lance's one season compared to Richardson's was FAR better (and he had multiple awards).

I'm not sure that he will fall to the 3rd round. But I do think he will wind up being drafted closer to what he was projected to be before the combine. Mid to late 1st round.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was listening to Brock and Salk and he was giving his daily take on the top players he liked. Today he was praising Joe Tippman from Wisconsin.

I have to say I haven't really heard his name much. But Brock was saying he is easily his preferred center of over Schmitz which I thought was interesting.

Then I went to Dane Brugler's Beast book of players. And he had Tippmann as the top Center as well..

1681417760904.png

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still driving me absolutely batshit when I see mocks having us select a CB or S with the 1st (20th) or either 2nd round picks. Diggs/Adams are taking the most money, you signed Love, Woolen was a steal, Bryant played very well for a rookie out of position, Jackson was serviceable... Seattle has traditionally drafted secondary very well LATER in the draft since Carroll arrived (no surprise, he was a DB coach)...

The fuck are these sites thinking ("Seattle could use a great CB prospect to pair with Woolen" BITCHES, they have ZERO great prospects at NT, ILB, WR, Interior OL, EDGE unless Mafe pans out, 3-4 DE (Reeds side))? Clearly they don't follow what Seattle has done, and sorry, we have enough safeties and there's not one close to the prospect of Berry or Thomas (both who would've gone top 5 if it wasn't two drafts in one thanks to the CBA changes).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still driving me absolutely batshit when I see mocks having us select a CB or S with the 1st (20th) or either 2nd round picks. Diggs/Adams are taking the most money, you signed Love, Woolen was a steal, Bryant played very well for a rookie out of position, Jackson was serviceable... Seattle has traditionally drafted secondary very well LATER in the draft since Carroll arrived (no surprise, he was a DB coach)...

The fuck are these sites thinking ("Seattle could use a great CB prospect to pair with Woolen" BITCHES, they have ZERO great prospects at NT, ILB, WR, Interior OL, EDGE unless Mafe pans out, 3-4 DE (Reeds side))? Clearly they don't follow what Seattle has done, and sorry, we have enough safeties and there's not one close to the prospect of Berry or Thomas (both who would've gone top 5 if it wasn't two drafts in one thanks to the CBA changes).

Some sites have little or no understanding of each teams actual needs so they just square peg, round hole it. Other sites are trolling.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since we are talking about the silliness out there:

What we're hearing about the Seahawks' draft: The Seahawks might be checking in on the quarterbacks, but a source in Seattle said to expect defensive line help over quarterback at No. 5 overall. That would seem to point to a belief that either Will Anderson Jr. (Alabama) or Jalen Carter (Georgia) will be available, a situation that's highly likely at this point. But here's one more Seattle nugget that throws a wrench in that: I was told it loves cornerback Devon Witherspoon (Illinois) if the top pass-rushers are gone.
-- Miller

I love watching Devon Witherspoon play and he's a Seahawks type player being a tone setter with toughness and hard hitting. However I don't see the Seahawks drafting him, there will be a top DL player available at the 5th pick if they don't love the QBs and Witherspoon isn't lasting to pick 20, besides much more pressing needs at other positions. I do love Witherspoon though.

Actually the article seemed pretty informative over all going over ever team and who they have shown interest in, needs, ect.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What we're hearing about the Seahawks' draft: The Seahawks might be checking in on the quarterbacks, but a source in Seattle said to expect defensive line help over quarterback at No. 5 overall. That would seem to point to a belief that either Will Anderson Jr. (Alabama) or Jalen Carter (Georgia) will be available, a situation that's highly likely at this point. But here's one more Seattle nugget that throws a wrench in that: I was told it loves cornerback Devon Witherspoon (Illinois) if the top pass-rushers are gone.
-- Miller

I love watching Devon Witherspoon play and he's a Seahawks type player being a tone setter with toughness and hard hitting. However I don't see the Seahawks drafting him, there will be a top DL player available at the 5th pick if they don't love the QBs and Witherspoon isn't lasting to pick 20, besides much more pressing needs at other positions. I do love Witherspoon though.

Actually the article seemed pretty informative over all going over ever team and who they have shown interest in, needs, ect.

I think this part is spot on..
So picking a quarterback in the first round would not only mean passing on their best chance to add badly needed difference makers on defense, it would also be an inefficient use of precious financial resources.

I still think that this team will be drafting 2 DL in the 1st round. Maybe they trade down if they don't like Carter. But if they pass on him then they really need to take a strong look at Murphy. And then maybe trade down from #20 and grab Mazi Smith in the late 1st, early 2nd.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-- Miller

Their needs at corner just aren't even CLOSE to needs in the front 7 of the D not to mention interior OL (Center namely). It's not even CLOSE.

If Seattle takes a CB or S in the 1st let alone 2nd it's an auto F grade from me.

The reason our D was DESTORYED last year was because

1) We couldn't get to the QB consistently (EDGE + DL) - that really hasn't been fixed, Harris couldn't stay healthy but Jones is a MINOR upgrade from him, Reed is... lol whatever.
2) Couldn't cover the middle of the field AT ALL (ALL LBer) which hasn't changed in the slightest outside of Bush being marginally better than Barton (talking < 5% coverage wise), Mafe getting another year (who knows) and Wagner granted is solid but is getting old and his coverage did drop off in Seattle before he left,
3) Couldn't stop the run (one of the worst in the league, again all front 7) which has gotten WORSE (Al Woods and Ford leaving + Brooks' injury and stopping the run was about the only thing he was DECENT at).

Our D didn't suck because of the secondary, and that was WITH an $18M player being out for the year who is STILL on the roster. And his replacement who played great we stupidly let go as one of the dumbest 'letting walk' moves we've made in recent history.

Honestly, I could stomach them taking Richardson (as stupid as that would be) more than a CB or S in the first 2 rounds. I value safety play a lot, but that team has locked up so much draft and cap capital in that fuckin' secondary over the years it's beyond ridiculous. Without a front 7 it doesn't fuckin' work, and they didn't come close to fixing the front 7 this offseason/free agency. Not even CLOSE. A lot of it was just replacements. The front 7 IMO has gotten WORSE. Teams will average 5 YPC at this point against us.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this part is spot on..

I still think that this team will be drafting 2 DL in the 1st round. Maybe they trade down if they don't like Carter. But if they pass on him then they really need to take a strong look at Murphy. And then maybe trade down from #20 and grab Mazi Smith in the late 1st, early 2nd.
Unless Stroud falls to them I think they either try to trade down, but only a few spots or they take a DL. Murphy would be someone to look at with the 20th pick if he's there, but I'd rather have McDonald over Murphy.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Stroud falls to them I think they either try to trade down, but only a few spots or they take a DL. Murphy would be someone to look at with the 20th pick if he's there, but I'd rather have McDonald over Murphy.

I'd like Campbell with our 20th overall. We need another ILB BADLY (it's probably the biggest glaring hole on our team as Brooks is out) and Campbell fits a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme and is a solid hitter and pretty good in coverage which was one of our worst aspects last year (covering middle of the field). Teams started playing our own personnel with Barton on/off vs. Bryant on/off against the run/mid field passing. It was ridiculous to watch.

What's even more funny is offenses that were putting up points against us like crazy had a ton of starters out lol.