• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2015 NBA Draft/Free Agency Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kind of my question as soon as the Bulls were eliminated. When you look at that roster and see the injuries, etc. that the Cavs had, the Bulls should still be playing. There were many who thought that if both teams were healthy, the Bulls still win.

So, do you blow up the roster over essentially one bad series in their first season together? Maybe get rid of Thibs and try again with a different coach? Do you bring everybody back, including Thibs, and give the whole group one more shot? Maybe bring in an offensive coach to offset Thibs weakness in that area?

Thibbs issue is not a matter of Coaching, it's a rift with management.

Seriously, they broke up a Dynasty. So, they wouldn't think twice about blowing this Team up.

Honestly, if they could dump Rose...they probably should.

His body just can't hold up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm used to living vicariously thru the Lakers.

But, it's a bit odd doing so from this direction.

The Clips don't have a pick, in any round.

Just goes to show that when we sorta win, we still lose.

Oh well....

Have you guys seen the Melo for the #2 pick rumors?

Folks are taking Mitch's " We don't have time to build thru the draft " statement to the extreme.

I wouldn't do this deal......unless I knew I was getting Monroe or Brook Lopez and Rondo orDragic in free agency.

You'd score a Zillion points.

But, who would play defense?

Oh, dear....maybe they'd sign DeAndre at the 5 instead.

* hides under bed until Free Agency is over *

I have seen the rumor a few different places. But, I'm posting this link because they have a few interesting scenarios.

Best Potential Trade Scenarios for Every Top 5 Pick in the 2015 NBA Draft | Bleacher Report

I don't know about that one, especially if Randle is expected to be included. If the trade can be done and the player included was maybe Hill or Young, then I'd say they should give it some real thought. But if the Knicks want Randle? Mitch should thank them for their time and hang up.

I would have 3 concerns with 'Melo:

1.) Age - he's 30. That's not old by any stretch and he hasn't made a lot of deep playoff runs, so he doesn't have the mileage on his body that Kobe had at 30. But at 30 he really only has about 3-5 years left at an elite level.

2.) Injury - seems he's been hurt more of late and the article mentioned his knee issues. I'd want him thoroughly checked out to make sure it's not likely to be a recurring problem.

3.) Defense - As you pointed out, they'll score a lot of points, but who's going to stop the other team from scoring. Clarkson plays solid D, we don't know about Randle and Kobe tries, but at 36, he just can't be expected to be shutting anyone down for long stretches. You mentioned DeAndre, but he's likely to get max or near max money. Even with the expected cap flexibility that Mitch has talked about, I don't see how they can pay Kobe, Melo and DeAndre.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that one, especially if Randle is expected to be included. If the trade can be done and the player included was maybe Hill or Young, then I'd say they should give it some real thought. But if the Knicks want Randle? Mitch should thank them for their time and hang up.

I would have 3 concerns with 'Melo:

1.) Age - he's 30. That's not old by any stretch and he hasn't made a lot of deep playoff runs, so he doesn't have the mileage on his body that Kobe had at 30. But at 30 he really only has about 3-5 years left at an elite level.

2.) Injury - seems he's been hurt more of late and the article mentioned his knee issues. I'd want him thoroughly checked out to make sure it's not likely to be a recurring problem.

3.) Defense - As you pointed out, they'll score a lot of points, but who's going to stop the other team from scoring. Clarkson plays solid D, we don't know about Randle and Kobe tries, but at 36, he just can't be expected to be shutting anyone down for long stretches. You mentioned DeAndre, but he's likely to get max or near max money. Even with the expected cap flexibility that Mitch has talked about, I don't see how they can pay Kobe, Melo and DeAndre.
How the hell could they afford to put a team on the court with Kobe and Melo's salaries on the books?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #2 pick and Randle for Melo? :pound:Who comes up with these things? What a terrible trade.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell could they afford to put a team on the court with Kobe and Melo's salaries on the books?

They will have enough cap space to add one more max deal to what they are paying Kobe. So, they could add Melo, but it would limit any other FA's that they could go after.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was kind of my question as soon as the Bulls were eliminated. When you look at that roster and see the injuries, etc. that the Cavs had, the Bulls should still be playing. There were many who thought that if both teams were healthy, the Bulls still win.

So, do you blow up the roster over essentially one bad series in their first season together? Maybe get rid of Thibs and try again with a different coach? Do you bring everybody back, including Thibs, and give the whole group one more shot? Maybe bring in an offensive coach to offset Thibs weakness in that area?
If Thibs is still under contract next year he will probably refuse to coach. That's how sour it has gotten between the front office and him. I'm getting worried that they will not be able to find a trade partner and then drop Thibs when there aren't any good coaching candidates left.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Thibs is still under contract next year he will probably refuse to coach. That's how sour it has gotten between the front office and him. I'm getting worried that they will not be able to find a trade partner and then drop Thibs when there aren't any good coaching candidates left.

Wow. I've been hearing it's bad, but had no idea that it was THAT bad. At least they waited until they had 6 titles they last time the went through this kind of thing.

If the rumor that they will wait until the other coaching vacancies are filled before they fire Thibs is true, I don't see the point. I mean, sure they prevent him from getting another job right away, but what are they leaving available to hire for themselves? Unless they are planning to just promote one of the assistants? Otherwise, like you suggest, it seems like they are hurting themselves just to spite Thibs.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I've been hearing it's bad, but had no idea that it was THAT bad. At least they waited until they had 6 titles they last time the went through this kind of thing.

If the rumor that they will wait until the other coaching vacancies are filled before they fire Thibs is true, I don't see the point. I mean, sure they prevent him from getting another job right away, but what are they leaving available to hire for themselves? Unless they are planning to just promote one of the assistants? Otherwise, like you suggest, it seems like they are hurting themselves just to spite Thibs.
They want to trade him, but I don't think anyone wants to give up anything for him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want to trade him, but I don't think anyone wants to give up anything for him.

Of course not, why would they? It seems that it's been pretty much made obvious that he's not coming back no matter what.

I do remember talk during the playoffs that he could be fired even if they win the title, so it's gonna be difficult to find a team willing to give anything up for someone they can get for free. Kind of like trying to trade a player who's said he won't re-sign with his current team.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not, why would they? It seems that it's been pretty much made obvious that he's not coming back no matter what.

I do remember talk during the playoffs that he could be fired even if they win the title, so it's gonna be difficult to find a team willing to give anything up for someone they can get for free. Kind of like trying to trade a player who's said he won't re-sign with his current team.
Yeah, the Bulls front office really screwed the pooch on this. They always fuck up in free agency though.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when Jerry West was the GM he pulled these deals off with ease. How do you think the Lakers ended up with guys like Worthy & Scott?

Jerry would not trade the #2 pick and Randle for Melo. Jerry did trades that were good for the team.

They traded Norm Nixon for Scott. They drafted Worthy. Not sure why you thought these were good examples.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry would not trade the #2 pick and Randle for Melo. Jerry did trades that were good for the team.

They traded Norm Nixon for Scott. They drafted Worthy. Not sure why you thought these were good examples.

They traded for the pick that drafted Worthy. I don't know if you saw the Lakers teams of the 80's or not, but Jerry made some moves back then that nobody would be able to make today. Other GM's might be dumb enough to agree with them, but as we saw with the Chris Paul deal, the league won't allow them.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded for the pick that drafted Worthy. I don't know if you saw the Lakers teams of the 80's or not, but Jerry made some moves back then that nobody would be able to make today. Other GM's might be dumb enough to agree with them, but as we saw with the Chris Paul deal, the league won't allow them.

They traded for the pick two seasons earlier. Jerry wasn't GM then. Then they lucked out with Cleveland having the worst record during the 81'-82' season so that pick ended being the #1.

Yes, I have been watching the Lakers since the early 1980s. No better GM than Jerry West. That being said, he wouldn't make the trade we're discussing. It's not a good trade for the Lakers.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded for the pick two seasons earlier. Jerry wasn't GM then. Then they lucked out with Cleveland having the worst record during the 81'-82' season so that pick ended being the #1.

Yes, I have been watching the Lakers since the early 1980s. No better GM than Jerry West. That being said, he wouldn't make the trade we're discussing. It's not a good trade for the Lakers.
Also there was no salary cap back then, making the job a lot easier if you had an owner willing to pay.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also there was no salary cap back then, making the job a lot easier if you had an owner willing to pay.

Yup. That's how he signed Shaq. He outspent Orlando. Couldn't do that now.

It was genius trading Divac for Kobe.