• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to Put Barry Bonds in the HOF

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, as a manager I would put Rose in the 6 or 7 hole on my all-time team for production reasons. Put Jeter in the leadoff 1 hole. Clemente in the 3 hole and Biggio in the 2 hole. Carew in the 5th hole and Bonds at cleanup in the 4th hole. Williams in the 8th hole and Bench would catch and be in the 6 or 7 hole.

Let's get this organized...

1- SS Jeter
2- 2B Biggio
3- RF Clemente
4- LF Bonds
5- 1B Carew
6- 3B Rose
7- C Bench
8- CF Williams (just cuz)
9- P Drysdale

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Rose is that not only did he gamble but he lied about it for decades. There is pretty hard evidence on Rose. He cheated and he has been lying a long time with a lot of flip flops.

I do think race played a part in how people viewed Bonds when he broke McGwire's record but only because it was an arms race between McGwire, Sosa and Bonds and naturally people get behind the guy of that most resembles themselves. I don't think race is playing a part on how his career is viewed, however. He is just getting swept up with the times and swept under the rug like everyone else.

The guy thats going to make or break public opinion on Bonds is ARod and Im skeptical either one gets in

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should be celebrating the likes of Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, and Biggio today. Yet we are making threads for Barry Bonds.

Yes, we are because it is a joke for the holier than thou pundits to deny Barry Bonds, access to HOF as if they have any means of knowing those they have admitted did not use any PED.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should go into the HOF, but as a member of the * wing.

There is no asterisk wing in the HOF. It will be a joke. Bonds was a HOF long before anybody claimed he juiced and the hypocrisy on this is nauseating.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no asterisk wing in the HOF. It will be a joke. Bonds was a HOF long before anybody claimed he juiced and the hypocrisy on this is nauseating.

I know there isn't one... Duh!!!....but maybe there should be...and one day if & when there is, he'll definitely be in...along w/ a bunch of other *players.

Last edited:

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should go into the HOF, but as a member of the * wing.
Vincent: Well, you’re with SABR so you know there never was an asterisk and it’s a misnomer - there were double records. Asterisks make no sense. I don’t think you can do that going forward. I think (the best solution to this) miserable problem is sunlight as I said. I think that you just tell people everything there is to be known about what players were doing while they were breaking records. I mean there’s nothing more. I mean if Bonds breaks Aaron’s record, so be it. It’s a great achievement and if he does it with the help of steroids, I think people are going to know that. If we get precision about what he was taking and when, I might make that better known, maybe even put it on his plaque. But I don’t think asterisks don’t make sense. How are you going to put asterisks on records? Think of the difference between the old days when all the games were played in daytime and night baseall came along, think of artificial turf, think of the differences in baseballs from the old days. We don’t asterisk records because there’s been a different baseball used after 1920. I just think the whole asterisk proposition makes sense, and I don’t think it’s ever happen, too many things would have to be tried to be equated."
Interview - Fay Vincent - Former Commissioner.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there isn't one... Duh!!!....but maybe there should be...and one day if & when there is, he'll definitely be in...along w/ a bunch of other *players.

No, there shouldn't be.. It is still a joke.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, as a manager I would put Rose in the 6 or 7 hole on my all-time team for production reasons. Put Jeter in the leadoff 1 hole. Clemente in the 3 hole and Biggio in the 2 hole. Carew in the 5th hole and Bonds at cleanup in the 4th hole. Williams in the 8th hole and Bench would catch and be in the 6 or 7 hole.

Let's get this organized...

1- SS Jeter
2- 2B Biggio
3- RF Clemente
4- LF Bonds
5- 1B Carew
6- 3B Rose
7- C Bench
8- CF Williams (just cuz)
9- P Drysdale

What.....no Tony Gwynn, Mike Schmidt or Ernie Banks??

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His head got bigger and he went bald. That's pretty much the end of the questioning on if he used them IMO.

But I don't really care if he gets into the HoF or not. If baseball doesn't like the stuff, they should do a better job of stopping it. I'm sure many people don't/didn't/will never get caught.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What.....no Tony Gwynn, Mike Schmidt or Ernie Banks??

Two of them wouldn't sniff my "all time" team either. But there are bigger fish to fry here anyway, given that his first baseman didn't even reach 100 career HRs. Which is not to say that Carew wasn't a great hitter in his own right, but there's a very high bar at the position and he's not quite there. But the strangest thing probably isn't even naming him to the team but batting him in the middle of the lineup rather than the top once you've named him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all of the pro Bonds people want everyone greenlit, i assume?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for everyone, but I think that it needs to be entered into the equation.

Bonds was head and shoulders over everyone in his era. If the majority of players in his era were juicing as well, than it is a no-brainer. Same goes for Clemens. They are both in. I don't understand how someone can vote for one and not the other.

Palmeiro was never in for me, even before his blow-up. His big selling point was his longevity. Longevity is directly attributable to PEDs.

For me, the big question marks are McGwire and Sosa. I keep going back and forth with them, but I tend to say no with them. Mac was really ONLY a power hitter, and he was not the best 1B of his era. Sosa seemed to come out of nowhere to be one of the monsters, AND he has the bat instance.