• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BBWA, HOF Moral Gatekeepers, Bonds and Clemens

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that is abundantly clear in the effort by some BBWA members to be the HOF moral gatekeepers and prevent two of the greatest players that played the game from entering HOF is the abject double standards that is at play here.
To classify the current generation as the "Cheated Generation" as pronounced by the holier than thou Loverro, see here: LOVERRO: ‘Cheated Generation’ soon to get Hall of Fame voice is ridiculous and nonsensical. As rightly pointed out by ESPN's Buster Olney, "the character clause should hold no weight, because even with current Hall of Famers, it cannot possibly apply, given the high number of people with personal flaws -- human flaws -- among the group." Read more from

BBWAA writers should relinquish throne as HOF's moral gatekeepers

"For starters, the person believed to have written the character clause, former commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis, worked to keep the sport segregated, and that in itself should have been enough to appraise the depth and significance of the character clause."
The HOF is increasingly becoming a joke with this moralistic nonsense. It is time to vote Bonds and Clemens in if they want to retain the little semblance of reality left.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would vote for Bonds and Clements after Alan Trammell gets in ... No 1984 Detroit Tiger has been elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame ... Comparable stats to Larkin and a lot better than Ozzie Smith ... If character can keep you out (Rose, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Bonds and Clements), than excellent should be a factor in getting in. Alan Trammell passes easily. Lastly, Trammell lost 119 games in a season as a manager one better than Hall of Fame manager Casey Stengel.

VOTE FOR ALAN TRAMMELL

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wants to have any serious discussion about baseball they cannot include Buster Olney , he simply doesn't qualify. He's nothing more than a jock sniffer who doesn't have the fuckin balls to say anything other than what he thinks keeps him in the good graces of his heroes. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on , he's a joke. As for Bonds and Clemens , they're both proven liars , cheats and generally worthless assholes who belong in no HoF unless it's for all time narcissistic jerk offs.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wants to have any serious discussion about baseball they cannot include Buster Olney , he simply doesn't qualify. He's nothing more than a jock sniffer who doesn't have the fuckin balls to say anything other than what he thinks keeps him in the good graces of his heroes. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on , he's a joke. As for Bonds and Clemens , they're both proven liars , cheats and generally worthless assholes who belong in no HoF unless it's for all time narcissistic jerk offs.
So you are first in line to remove Cobb from the Hall? How about Niekro? Aaron?

A racist (and rumored murderer); a caught, admitted cheater; and a PED user (greenies).

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are first in line to remove Cobb from the Hall? How about Niekro? Aaron?

A racist (and rumored murderer); a caught, admitted cheater; and a PED user (greenies).
here we go , no I'm not taking the bait. Neikro has no business being there period. Greenies are nothing more than a good cup of coffee and we both know that.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah but 762 homers???

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear, you're saying Bonds and Clemens should not be in?

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly , and their chances aren't much better than they were last yr.

The holier than thou hypocrites in the media who benefited (some of them wrote books and made tons of money) on the chase when McGwire and Sosa were tearing the records. They knew McGwire used Andro and the FBI from its Operation Equine investigations after the investigations actually nailed McGwire and Canseco of using steroids yet they continued to be the cheerleaders for these sluggers. And now these fucking enablers with MLB have suddenly found religion claiming steroids are the worst that ever happened to baseball. Unbelievable. And media sycophants like you are applauding them? Give me a break.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone wants to have any serious discussion about baseball they cannot include Buster Olney , he simply doesn't qualify. He's nothing more than a jock sniffer who doesn't have the fuckin balls to say anything other than what he thinks keeps him in the good graces of his heroes.
But he said the truth. The racist clown,former commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis, who worked to keep the sport segregated and who put the character clause in had no moral plank to stand on for anybody to propagate his nonsensical character clause to prevent Bonds who was by all stats HOF before any allegation of steroids use.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The holier than thou hypocrites in the media who benefited (some of them wrote books and made tons of money) on the chase when McGwire and Sosa were tearing the records. They knew McGwire used Andro and the FBI from its Operation Equine investigations after the investigations actually nailed McGwire and Canseco of using steroids yet they continued to be the cheerleaders for these sluggers. And now these fucking enablers with MLB have suddenly found religion claiming steroids are the worst that ever happened to baseball. Unbelievable. And media sycophants like you are applauding them? Give me a break.
I'm certainly not banging the drum for the media and do not dispute your claims of them benefiting from those yrs. I'm speaking as a fan and former player and I don't need Buster Olney or Joel Sherman to tell me what I think or how I feel about this. I also owe no apologies for my opinions , neither do the overwhelming majority of fans.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm certainly not banging the drum for the media and do not dispute your claims of them benefiting from those yrs. I'm speaking as a fan and former player and I don't need Buster Olney or Joel Sherman to tell me what I think or how I feel about this. I also owe no apologies for my opinions , neither do the overwhelming majority of fans.

Nobody claims you have to apologize for your opinion regardless of how wrong your opinion is. Just like Buster Olney or Joel Sherman can also put up their opinion whether you believe them or not. The fact is people including those you believe are overwhelming majority of fans are media sycophants. Oh, by the way, the majority of the same fans include those who rail against a player of steroids use when he is on another team but cheer the same player when he is on their team. And I am sure David "Big Papi" Ortiz is still looking to find how he tested positive for steroids. And I am sure Boston fans or " Boston strong" will not be rooting for him when he belts out home runs in the coming 2016 season when he retires.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually I don't believe anything was proven with Clemens.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here we go , no I'm not taking the bait. Neikro has no business being there period. Greenies are nothing more than a good cup of coffee and we both know that.

That's a pretty clear over simplification. It's still easily a PED.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds and Clemens are different from some of these other guys as they were HOFs before any alleged PED usage.

But let's get real. The Hall of Fame is first and foremost a museum. It celebrates the history of baseball and all of its eras.

The Steroid Era is just that. Admit it, embrace that it actually happened, put it on their plaques if you want and move on.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of the "put it on their plaque" argument. The plaque should be an honor. Cobb's plaque doesn't mention that none of his teammates went to his funeral. It doesn't say that he allegedly killed a man. It doesn't say he was an open racist (a claim he later refuted, quite adamantly). Neikro's plaque does not have a piece of sandpaper attached.

Why should Bonds' or Clemens' plaques mention their piccadillos?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of the "put it on their plaque" argument. The plaque should be an honor. Cobb's plaque doesn't mention that none of his teammates went to his funeral. It doesn't say that he allegedly killed a man. It doesn't say he was an open racist (a claim he later refuted, quite adamantly). Neikro's plaque does not have a piece of sandpaper attached.

Totally fair take.

I just use it as an example of a compromise to get the correct players in the Hall.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's because Joe is not in the HoF, Phil is :wink:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides of the argument but lean toward letting everyone in who obviously deserves it. Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are both in with/without the juice.

Bottom line.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see both sides of the argument but lean toward letting everyone in who obviously deserves it. Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are both in with/without the juice.

Bottom line.
:agree: