• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, and the Perpetual Joke NBA Free Agency Has Become

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of this exercise was not that Bazemore was on DeRozan's level or anywhere close to it. The point was that Bazemore would not be that bad a player to have if no one had stepped up their offer, and the trade machine agreed.

@tlance The Spurs current projected starter at SF is...Dante Cunningham. You think DeMarre Carroll sucks so bad but I'm sure even you ought to think he's a better option than Cunningham.

No, I meant you see why players should be trying to control their own destiny more.

Make sure they are where they want to be.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole point of this exercise was not that Bazemore was on DeRozan's level or anywhere close to it. The point was that Bazemore would not be that bad a player to have if no one had stepped up their offer, and the trade machine agreed.

@tlance The Spurs current projected starter at SF is...Dante Cunningham. You think DeMarre Carroll sucks so bad but I'm sure even you ought to think he's a better option than Cunningham.

You are still trying to justify this?

Just stop already.

No. Dante Cunningham is not better than Carroll. But, the Spurs got DeRozan, a semi-decent big prospect in Poetl and a future first round pick.

Are you honestly comparing that haul to the one you suggested? Because Carrol + Bazemore actually has negative trade value. The only reason the Rockets are interested in Bazemore is because they would give up Ryan Anderson who is a worse contract and less of a fit.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are still trying to justify this?

Just stop already.

No. Dante Cunningham is not better than Carroll. But, the Spurs got DeRozan, a semi-decent big prospect in Poetl and a future first round pick.

Are you honestly comparing that haul to the one you suggested? Because Carrol + Bazemore actually has negative trade value. The only reason the Rockets are interested in Bazemore is because they would give up Ryan Anderson who is a worse contract and less of a fit.

FWIW, I really like the Bazemore fit in Houston.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I really like the Bazemore fit in Houston.

Sure. Me too.

But only because Houston would be dealing a bad contract who can't play for them for a bad contract who can. humongous difference between those two scenarios.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Me too.

But only because Houston would be dealing a bad contract who can't play for them for a bad contract who can. humongous difference between those two scenarios.

No, I mean he’s just a really good fit them scheme wise. Giving up a first and hart stein or whatever that giant Germans name is, Plus a first is probsbly with it. With baze instead of Anderson they probably make the finals last year.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird how you blame Lebron James and not Dan Gilbert for doing next to nothing to build the Cavs when Lebron was first with the Cavs.

Kawhi is far from the first disgruntled player that pushed for a trade. That's been happening since at least Wilt Chamerlain.
I think it was before Gilbert had the team but the Cavs would point to Boozer screwing them over as possibly costing the Cavs a title in those early LBJ years.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should make all free agents enter the draft. LeBron would be taken #1. Who would have been taken #2?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was before Gilbert had the team but the Cavs would point to Boozer screwing them over as possibly costing the Cavs a title in those early LBJ years.

Yes that wasn’t before Gilbert.

Squandering the picks sandwiching Lebron on Dajuan wagner and luke jackson is really what did them in

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that wasn’t before Gilbert.

Squandering the picks sandwiching Lebron on Dajuan wagner and luke jackson is really what did them in
To a point - the 02 draft was hot garbage and they picked too late in 04 to get anybody who could make much of an impact.

But they already had Boozer and he had (allegedly) agreed to re-sign. Wouldn't have guaranteed anything but the Cavs would've been better off with him and Lebron than Lebron and whoever they could collect off the scrap heap for the next 5 years.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a point - the 02 draft was hot garbage and they picked too late in 04 to get anybody who could make much of an impact.

But they already had Boozer and he had (allegedly) agreed to re-sign. Wouldn't have guaranteed anything but the Cavs would've been better off with him and Lebron than Lebron and whoever they could collect off the scrap heap for the next 5 years.

Yeah, that was a typo. I meant to say that wasn't gilbert but got stuck between that was before gilbert and that wasn't gilbert. lol

It was Gund, I believe.

What I will say in fairness to the Cavs is this:

that team they were assembling before the Decision was very modern. Look at it now with guys like Parker and Mo Williams, it was all about getting those shooters around Lebron.

It just ran into the Big 3 making a great run (that should've been a title, but the NBA rigged it against them...that's a story for another day...).

Funny thing, Lebron was recruiting Bosh to CLE, but he had zero interest in going there (can't really blame him). Had he agreed though, Bron never leaves CLE.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They passed on Amare, Nene and Caron Butler.

04 was the one that was awful and really didn't give them many options. Just Jameer Nelson, Al Jefferson and maybe Biedrins (although he would've been a mess after his rookie deal cause he got attacked by the Monstars or something...just totally forgot how to play basketball).

Can't really blame them too much for screwing up that one. A few guys I really liked (KIRK SNYDER) didn't really workout either.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah....Boozer and his agent bamboozeled a BLIND MAN. lol.

Who was Boozer's scumbag agent? No other than the current GM of the Lakers- Rob Pelinka! lol......tells you a little bit about that guy.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They passed on Amare, Nene and Caron Butler.

04 was the one that was awful and really didn't give them many options. Just Jameer Nelson, Al Jefferson and maybe Biedrins (although he would've been a mess after his rookie deal cause he got attacked by the Monstars or something...just totally forgot how to play basketball).

Can't really blame them too much for screwing up that one. A few guys I really liked (KIRK SNYDER) didn't really workout either.
I mean, Nene wasn't pushing them over the top but 6 other teams passed on Amare and Caron too (5 if you want to give the Bulls a pass for taking Jay before he went on his midnight ride). It's like when people rip on the Niners for passing on Rodgers and drafting Smith - 15 teams whose QB's sucked passed on Aaron too.

And the Cavs did get Boozer out of the 02 draft anyway, who may have been the second or third best player in the draft anyway. Sure, Amare Boozer and Lebron would've been a hell of a team to throw out there in 2005 but that's drafting for ya.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Nene wasn't pushing them over the top but 6 other teams passed on Amare and Caron too (5 if you want to give the Bulls a pass for taking Jay before he went on his midnight ride). It's like when people rip on the Niners for passing on Rodgers and drafting Smith - 15 teams whose QB's sucked passed on Aaron too.

And the Cavs did get Boozer out of the 02 draft anyway, who may have been the second or third best player in the draft anyway. Sure, Amare Boozer and Lebron would've been a hell of a team to throw out there in 2005 but that's drafting for ya.

Yeah, I'm just saying they had their chances.

LeBron, Amare, Boozer and Nelson really isn't a bad core.

They still probably give that big money Larry Hughes though.

They are always a tough spot because they aren't a big FA destination.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I ripped everyone for passing on Rodgers.

It was just unbelievably obvious he was the superior player.

I'm baffled how teams just can't get out of their own way at times.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ripped everyone for passing on Rodgers.

It was just unbelievably obvious he was the superior player.

I'm baffled how teams just can't get out of their own way at times.
I am not- but than again i am a Browns fan

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not- but than again i am a Browns fan

For a world where these guys are supposed to be smarter than everyone else, they make some unbelievably dumb decisions.

I also wonder how often it is the owner getting in the way of the employees doing their jobs, as has been known to happen on occasion.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I mean he’s just a really good fit them scheme wise. Giving up a first and hart stein or whatever that giant Germans name is, Plus a first is probsbly with it. With baze instead of Anderson they probably make the finals last year.

No.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was once a time in NBA history when free agency was strictly about the business of contract details and with whatever team the said player wished to spend his career with. Then, in 2010 - LeBron James happened, and this whole spectacle that is NBA free agency had become much more than that as a result. It has become more about big brands, big egos, big markets, and player collusion. Because of LeBron James.

When LeBron left Cleveland for the first time to form a superteam in Miami, it became acceptable for these self-proclaimed "star" players to throw their teammates, their coaches (looking at you, Kawhi Leonard), and even their ownership under the microscope. Because of LeBron James. It has come to be a regular occurrence in the NBA throughout this decade. Because of LeBron James.

In the current NBA, there are plenty of teams that are more well-managed than the Lakers. There were several teams more deserving of LeBron's services. But, in the end - The big market and his big business ventures were ultimately the deciding factor in his free agency this time around. At least Art Modell only left Cleveland once, and it is this that is the very reason why we as a culture keep him out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Shame on LeBron James.

Shame on these self-righteous NBA "stars".

Now, on to my Kawhi Leonard trade idea...

San Antonio receives - Kent Bazemore, DeMarre Carroll, and a future 2022 second round draft pick (from Atlanta)

Atlanta receives - Kawhi Leonard

Brooklyn receives - Danny Green

From San Antonio's perspective: The Spurs need to be able to prove the point to Kawhi that beggars can't be choosers by forcing him to spend a year of his prime in a hapless situation in Atlanta - A team that currently is almost blatantly tanking. It is not that Bazemore is a bad player - He did shoot a career-high 39.4 percent from three this past season - It's simply a matter of him not being worth his contract. And who knows, maybe Pop could make a diamond in the rough out of him. Carroll would give San Antonio a designated LeBron defender for the upcoming season.

From Atlanta's perspective: For the Hawks, this deal would provide a bargaining opportunity. Atlanta would be off the hook for the final two years of Bazemore's contract while surrendering only a second round pick well down the road. While it is highly unlikely that Kawhi Leonard commits to them long-term, they would be given the opportunity to flip him at next February's trade deadline for more assets moving forward.

From Brooklyn's perspective: Simple salary dump. Green will earn more than $5 million less than DeMarre Carroll in the final year of their respective deals, and would instantly become a buyout candidate upon completion of this proposed deal.

LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, and the Perpetual Joke NBA Free Agency Has Become

Someone doesn't remember Moses Malone. Or heck even the Celtics a few years earlier.

Or Kareem, Kobe, Or Shaq picking LA for the market. I mean Kareem joined a team that was dead last in the West because of the market. Seemed ok choices for those guys careers.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone doesn't remember Moses Malone. Or heck even the Celtics a few years earlier.

Or Kareem, Kobe, Or Shaq picking LA for the market. I mean Kareem joined a team that was dead last in the West because of the market. Seemed ok choices for those guys careers.

Oh, I've watched plenty of tape on Moses Malone during my teen years. Is that the same Moses Malone that Houston didn't want to pay?