• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to get wise: EXPAND

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who fucking cares. It adds nothing to the home schedule.
Oklahoma is locked into a home conference schedule that does little to get anyone excited.

So when the B12 implodes, as I am thinking it will in the next 3 to 5 years - where do OU and TX land?
Both to the SEC or 1 to P12 and 1 to the SEC? Do they stick together or split up and go their own way?

The B12s biggest problem is there are ZERO dream choices out there to add.
The available teams gain much more than they bring to the B12 if they were added.
You are not going to steal anyone from the P12, B10 or SEC.

So AAC, C USA, MAC, MWC or an Independent? Pickings are slim.

Then you have the ACC who everyone feels is ripe for the picking. Me, I seriously doubt it.
I don't see anyone leaving the conference strength of the ACC to join the B12.
ACC Football may suck right now overall, but BB is always a powerhouse and baseball as well.
The B12 future could be bright, but it could just as easily be gone in an instant.

And frankly, WVU has done little to add to the perception of the conference.
I would give us a C- or even a D+ in the performance category since joining.
TCU on the other hand has done pretty well.

To Outofyourminds point - having WVU come into town to play on Saturday
gives OU fans little to get excited about. Now if WV was undefeated or ranked?
But those were the Big East days and they are long gone (and good riddance).

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU did better than WVU last year. They had identical records their first two years in the Big 12.

IMO, the Big 12 will wait to see if the B1G is done expanding before planning any additions. What the B1G does will go a long way in determining the fate of many.

If the ACC fails to launch the ACC Network, it will provide much lower revenue to its members compared to the other P5 conferences.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And frankly, WVU has done little to add to the perception of the conference.
I would give us a C- or even a D+ in the performance category since joining.
TCU on the other hand has done pretty well.

To Outofyourminds point - having WVU come into town to play on Saturday
gives OU fans little to get excited about. Now if WV was undefeated or ranked?
But those were the Big East days and they are long gone (and good riddance).

A coaching change at both OU and WVU could change all that in a year or two...If its the RIGHT coach. OU gave Stoops an extension, WVU? Well, lets just say good luck this year Dana :suds:.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coaching change at both OU and WVU could change all that in a year or two...If its the RIGHT coach. OU gave Stoops an extension, WVU? Well, lets just say good luck this year Dana :suds:.

I don't put all of WVUs shortcomings since joining the B12 at the feet of Dana.
But unfortunately, the coach is the whipping boy when things turn sour.

Players need to shoulder some of the blame. We need some guys to get out there and claim
their role in making this team a success. Kevin White played like that on the O side last year.
He wasn't perfect, but he fought and clawed and battled for each catch.

Joseph does the same on the D side. He is a warrior. Again, doesn't always get it right in his decisions.
But IMO - no one on that team plays with more entensity, fire and heart than he does.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU did better than WVU last year. They had identical records their first two years in the Big 12.

IMO, the Big 12 will wait to see if the B1G is done expanding before planning any additions. What the B1G does will go a long way in determining the fate of many.

If the ACC fails to launch the ACC Network, it will provide much lower revenue to its members compared to the other P5 conferences.

BBW has the right view...When these media rights expire, there will be teams after going thru this first major round of re-alignment assessing whether it was a good move or not...and what the best thing going forward looks like...it would not surprise me at all if Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado or a Clemson didn't do some thinking on it...but of there is that kind of shake up again...Wv will be in much better shape to have other doors open for them as well........

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest with each other here, we don't belong in the B12. (Not that I'm not happy to be there)

As long as texas and its band of cohorts (tech and baylor) along with OU and Okie jr don't go to the SEC or dare I say ACC, we should be fine.

Anyone with delusional granduers, WVU IS NOT GETTING INTO THE BIG 10. Please understand we don't have the academics or the endowment to get in there.

If the Big 12 dispands, specifically if all 5 of those teams go to the PAC (yes I know baylor and their religious affliation bla bla bla) then we are nearly a shoe in to be picked up by the ACC. The B1G and SEC won't stand pat at their current situation and they will reasonably only take B12 teams or Acc teams. You have to figure Kansas will go to the B1G and the ACC will take us. (Hey, they took Louisville)

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big 12 dispands, specifically if all 5 of those teams go to the PAC (yes I know baylor and their religious affliation bla bla bla) then we are nearly a shoe in to be picked up by the ACC.

I agree there is NO WAY WVU gets in the B1G. Not a chance.
I wish I could agree with you on the ACC but I just don't see it.
If they wanted WV, we would already be a member.

There is some long standing issues between WV and several ACC teams.
I would be shocked to see us get an invite there at this point in time.

SEC? We have little to offer the SEC.
If the B12 implodes - AAC here we come.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if it gets to the point where the B12 disbands, WVU will end up in one of the power conferences. SEC would be the most likely. We almost made it there last time around.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see where the Big12 goes away...In fact it maybe close to impossible..so for argument sake it does blow up..the other power conferences go to 20 teams potentially??..just doesn't make sense...

The Big12 has never been healthier...it has the largest payout outside of the SEC...for the first time in its history possbily the schools from a high level actually get along and are rowing in the same boat...I would suggest the discussion should be about putting schools under pressure to add more Olympic Sports so they could launch a Big 12 network.......

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding a Big 12 network would require Texas giving up their contract with ESPN. Now that ESPN is showing some fatigue, they may push Texas in this direction.

The ACC is struggling to get its network launched. And the Pac 12 network seems to have had some trouble with its launch.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding a Big 12 network would require Texas giving up their contract with ESPN. Now that ESPN is showing some fatigue, they may push Texas in this direction.

The ACC is struggling to get its network launched. And the Pac 12 network seems to have had some trouble with its launch.

IF conference networks are what they are cracked up to be in the future (I have my doubts) then a Big12 network would be very interesting.
Would that be the final piece of the puzzle that would lure one of the P5 targets that the conference has in mind?

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see where the Big12 goes away...In fact it maybe close to impossible..

Imagine this scenario that was on the verge of happening just before WVU joined the B12.
Texas and Oklahoma leave for the P12 and the SEC. Kansas gets the invite to the B1G.

The remaining 7 teams are not "top tier" enough to be a P5 conference.
What do you think would happen?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine this scenario that was on the verge of happening just before WVU joined the B12.
Texas and Oklahoma leave for the P12 and the SEC. Kansas gets the invite to the B1G.

The remaining 7 teams are not "top tier" enough to be a P5 conference.
What do you think would happen?

BBW made mention of Texas having their own network..I can't imagine them ever relinquishing that single source revenue...I do think they are the Big Fish in this conference..If the Big12 ever did get a network they would likely get a larger share for distribution rights for their programming and I think the rest of the league would be Okay with that some how....that scenario would never play in any other conference...and seeing how Nebraska is a step child in the Big 10 their ego would never let the Michigan's or Ohio States call the shots...and for that matter USC, UCLA and Stanford in the Pac12...they have everything they want in the Big12 why would they want to go anywhere else?...Same could be said for OU...these are mid western schools who would have a major culture clash with the Pac12 as well...and as for as the SEC Alabama, LSU and Florida will always drive that bus....I may be wrong but I think the Big12 is set up to expand in a position of strength , not in a position of weakness..With holding down the #5 , 10# and with Wv help a slice of the #9 and #23 major television markets as well as the league arguably in the best geographic areas for recruiting what program wouldn't consider the Big12 ..and oh..don't forget the conference revenue payouts..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One scenario that I read somewhere (can't remember where) had WVU/Texas/and OU taking pay cuts on the tier 3 level if the conference were to get one. That would explain some of the hesitation, if memory serves Texas took a hit from Aprox. 15mm to 9mm and WVU from 9mm to around 6... Again it's been awhile and I could be off on the numbers but that was one of the reasons mentioned for not converting LHN right now.