• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to get wise: EXPAND

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortuanately, I don't think adding teams to the conference helps the Big 12 make more money. While a CCG certainly is worth something to each team, the TV contract would not be increased simply by adding another 1 or 2 teams. I believe that is why schools are reluctant to add at this time, and why our new AD said expansion would occur with the 'Right Schools'. I'm pretty sure the Big 12 understands the current value of schools from the G5, and what the major networks... ESPN, CBS and FOX are willing to pay for any of them.

There is no reason to have each of the 10 schools in the conference make less money each season from the TV contract by adding new schools.

The Big 12's revenue stream is different than the SEC, B1G and Pac 12 which each have provided tier 1-thru tier 3 media contracts by establishing their respective conference network and establishing tier 1 and 2 games through ESPN, CBS and FOX.

The Big 12 has established a tier 1 and tier 2 contract with ESPN and FOX. Each conference school has its own tier 3 since there is no Big 12 Network at this time. Schools like UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincy or UConn will not increase our package for tier 1 and 2 through either network.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortuanately, I don't think adding teams to the conference helps the Big 12 make more money. While a CCG certainly is worth something to each team, the TV contract would not be increased simply by adding another 1 or 2 teams. I believe that is why schools are reluctant to add at this time, and why our new AD said expansion would occur with the 'Right Schools'. I'm pretty sure the Big 12 understands the current value of schools from the G5, and what the major networks... ESPN, CBS and FOX are willing to pay for any of them.

There is no reason to have each of the 10 schools in the conference make less money each season from the TV contract by adding new schools.

The Big 12's revenue stream is different than the SEC, B1G and Pac 12 which each have provided tier 1-thru tier 3 media contracts by establishing their respective conference network and establishing tier 1 and 2 games through ESPN, CBS and FOX.

The Big 12 has established a tier 1 and tier 2 contract with ESPN and FOX. Each conference school has its own tier 3 since there is no Big 12 Network at this time. Schools like UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincy or UConn will not increase our package for tier 1 and 2 through either network.

That's it in a nutshell. It's not that Big12 members don't think those schools mentioned are bad investments or the conference is stupid ect.., the TV networks are still setting the bar when it comes to money and what they will pay for this or that program. The Big12 like all conferences want to make as much money as possible to stay competitive.
You go taking pay cuts and you begin to fall behind and falling behind can't be an option at this point. If the conferences folds then so be it, it's doomed to fold anyway if the revenues go south.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would make a difference in when expansion occurs?

For me, it's almost now. I do not want the Big 12 to add teams to the conference just to add teams. ND will not join a league for football until they are forced to. I'm not excited about adding USF or UCF. Maybe one but not both. Memphis does nothing for me. BYU is probably the only team that would add value. Cincy or UConn, see USF/UCF comment. Wish we would have added L'ville, but everybody saw no need to add them and watched the ACC make a power play to get to 14. Unless we can pull some good names out of other conferences, looking at the ACC, then it may be to late already, IMHO.

The focus in the Big 12 was on maintaining team payouts. If the CFP requires a league championship game, then we are SOL. Although I feel that the Big 12 handled announcing the league champion wrong, I still think it didn't matter in the big picture. Texas has to be all in and OK needs to quit worrying about what Texas is doing.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I should have read through the thread before posting. :D

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berry Tramel: Please explain why a 10-team Big 12 won't work? | News OK

I think Barry T brings up a good point in this article. I think Boren and some of the other presidents and AD's (including our own) are saying that its time to start sizing up the potential candidates, not expand right away. Well that and how bout Texas and OU get their sh*t together...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how Tramel took some shots at OU and Boren in particular.

Boren took his shot, he obviously has his agenda. OU fans are said to be displeased with the Big 12 and their home game schedule.

Mizzou and A&M seem to be happy making the move to the SEC. Maybe OU would be happy there as well?

Colorado and Nebraska don't seem to be in better shape than when they were in the Big 12 competitively speaking. Of course Nebraska is making B1G money...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU fans are said to be displeased with the Big 12 and their home game schedule.

Home Schedule this year:
Akron
Tulsa
WVU
Texas Tech
Iowa State
TCU

Tennessee was in Norman last year and in Knoxville this year.
Texas is in Dallas every year.
The 2 new additions to the BigXII are coming in. That's nice.
And then TT and ISU. Who the fuck cares.

I can tell you that NOBODY is that excited about it.
Then take a look at what a Home Conference schedule might look like.
aTm Home Conference Games this year:
Ole' Miss
Alabama
South Carolina
Auburn

Missouri Home Conference Games this year:
South Carolina
Florida
Mississippi State
Tennessee

you be the judge.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou's looks pretty close to OU's to me.

I don't understand how OU's schedule has changed significantly from the past. Back in the old Big 8... there was Colorado and Nebraska that were pretty strong most years. KSU, KU, ISU, OSU and Mizzou were not.

In the original Big 12, you were in the more difficult division... but, losing A&M to your regular schedule is that much of a difference maker?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, the conference is fine as is, would I like to have a few more games closer to home as far as traveling to away games? Sure, but then again in this day n age and the coverages that games are now getting I'm not sure Id go anyway so...

That's another thing Luck did well while he was here was the future OOC scheduling. VT,PennState, UT and maybe Maryland that's plenty so in a sense we get the best of both worlds.

I agree and I don't agree...I believe that unless there is a top end program that adds value to the conference then the league is just fine the way it is...As for the OOC for me personally I like the Alabama type matchups or the BYU's and Tennessee matchups...again I am likely in the minority, but the PITT and Va Tech matchups no longer have any appeal...they are meaningless other than saving some travel dollars...the Back Yard Brawl will no longer have the the same flavor. it will be a shell of what it once was...Penn State would be okay, we didn't play them for anything...No Black Diamond or Schwartzwalder Trophy..DAD may enjoy it though..he gets to live in the past for 60 minutes of football!..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou's looks pretty close to OU's to me.

I don't understand how OU's schedule has changed significantly from the past. Back in the old Big 8... there was Colorado and Nebraska that were pretty strong most years. KSU, KU, ISU, OSU and Mizzou were not.

In the original Big 12, you were in the more difficult division... but, losing A&M to your regular schedule is that much of a difference maker?

I think it speaks to the rivalry component...

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it speaks to the rivalry component...

That's some of it I think.
If the conference were to add UCF and USF, then each would rotate into Norman every other year.
Who fucking cares. It adds nothing to the home schedule.
Oklahoma is locked into a home conference schedule that does little to get anyone excited.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree... adding any team from the G5 is unattractive to me as well.

I love being in the Big 12 and having TCU, BU, OU and KSU one year. UT, Okie St, TT the next...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and I don't agree...I believe that unless there is a top end program that adds value to the conference then the league is just fine the way it is...As for the OOC for me personally I like the Alabama type matchups or the BYU's and Tennessee matchups...again I am likely in the minority, but the PITT and Va Tech matchups no longer have any appeal...they are meaningless other than saving some travel dollars...the Back Yard Brawl will no longer have the the same flavor. it will be a shell of what it once was...Penn State would be okay, we didn't play them for anything...No Black Diamond or Schwartzwalder Trophy..DAD may enjoy it though..he gets to live in the past for 60 minutes of football!..
I enjoy those games vs "national" brands as well but I just don't see them playing us yearly in any scenario. IMO a regional game is more likely and there is still something to be said about rivalry making CFB what it is. Pitt would not be my first choice but I DO respect the history of the series and part of me thinks it would be good for both programs and CFB in general but you may be right, it might not be the same at all now. Looking at USCe/Clemson, UGA,GT, Florida/FSU ect.. Those games SEEM to have plenty of appeal but maybe their fans feel different I don't know.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's some of it I think.
If the conference were to add UCF and USF, then each would rotate into Norman every other year.
Who fucking cares. It adds nothing to the home schedule.
Oklahoma is locked into a home conference schedule that does little to get anyone excited.
JMO but if UCF and USF hired the right leadership ( I think UCF is close now) then I think you would change your mind because they would be on Baylor and TCU's level very shortly. The Big12 haters would still want talk about how bad the conference has gotten but like any team in any conference you have to beat their teams on the field to shut them up.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's interesting in away..the way I read that article if the Big12 wins a National Championship soon then things will even themselves and they are better positioned of what they want to do next.. I think that happens in with in the next two years if not this year...just can't understand the UCF and USF thinking..AT ALL!..they are commuter schools...Unless USF gets their own football stadium they will never be considered for any conference going forward..Think about what Wv has had to invest just to get a seat at the table..You think Lyon's lets another school get in at a discount just to get to 12 teams??...if PITT didn't have the academic pedigree as well as depth in their athletic offerings...the ACC would have never extended an invite...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it was a psychological disadvantage that got OU and Texas's head handed to them in the bowl game?
That also explains why the eastern crown jewel ,studhorse, world champs got tripped up by the likes of A&M in their bowl game too...... Ill be sure n point that out to ol Kingfish when he comes back around.