• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Think Kobe isn't retiring after next season? Think again.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they going to bring in UFA's when they would have to pay Kobe probably more money for 1 more season than he's making this year? I view it like this, if the Lakers offer Kobe a big raise for next season he'll be back. If they don't he won't.

There's a huge salary cap jump projected for next summer.

Reactions: DJ

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh! I could have sworn Kobe retired 2 years ago. I'll be damned.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, two summers in a row I believe.

Roughly $67mil next season followed by projected jumps to $90mil and over a $100mil. Theoretically, the Lakers could sign a max guy next summer and still pay Kobe a lot. I don't see them giving Kobe another big contract though.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the more reason for Kobe to expect to be paid. If he decides to come back the Lakers really don't have a choice.

I don't think you have to worry about that. They took care of him with this past deal. They're not going to give him 30mil a year again. And I don't see him coming back anyways.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All kidding aside. This is likely Kobe's last season. I could see him coming back for one more year if the following occurs.

1.) He is able to play at a high level and stay healthy this coming season. I'd say, approximately 28-30 minutes per game and playing about 65 or so games (sitting out one of the games of back to backs and a few other against lesser teams).

2.) The Lakers as a whole, play well and make a solid playoff run (at least 2nd round).

3.) They are able to add another FA, after this coming season, who can put them "over the top" and make them a true contender.

If any 1 of the above don't happen, then I think he definitely hangs them up after this season.

All good things must come to an end...the saying goes...Kobe had a great run and imo is hanging on too long, but for that kind of coin...I would hang on too. I just don't know if they can put enough around him #1 to get into the 2nd rd, and #2 is he's willing to be "less" of THE MAN...imo a requirement for your #2 to happen.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly would have a choice.

Do you honestly think they'll let Kobe walk if he wants to come back for 1 more year? Sorry, I don't. It wouldn't look good for the Lakers if he went somewhere else & won a title. I think Kobe would probably take less to go to a contender if the Lakers told him they weren't interested. Hopefully for the Lakers sake he retires.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,496.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you honestly think they'll let Kobe walk if he wants to come back for 1 more year? Sorry, I don't. It wouldn't look good for the Lakers if he went somewhere else & won a title. I think Kobe would probably take less to go to a contender if the Lakers told him they weren't interested. Hopefully for the Lakers sake he retires.

He has stated numerous times he might finish his career in Italy where they will pay him a king's ransom.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,496.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may have owned a team at one time but I don't believe he does anymore. He has talked about wanting to own a soccer team over there.

Ilovemesomeme

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do, and I think Kobe is smart enough to understand he's not worth 30mil a year anymore.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yes, I think they'll let him walk. With the amt of flak they've taken for giving this past contract, no way in hell are they giving him another bank-buster of a deal. And lets be real, his body isn't going to hold up all season, even IF they try to ration/limit his minutes/games. Dude is D.O.N.E.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Kobe wanted to come back for another season AND get still be the top paid player in the league, then I could see the front office letting him go. I don't see that happening though. I truly believe this upcoming season will be his last.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are they going to bring in UFA's when they would have to pay Kobe probably more money for 1 more season than he's making this year? I view it like this, if the Lakers offer Kobe a big raise for next season he'll be back. If they don't he won't.

Do you honestly think the Lakers would pay Kobe more than the $25 million they are paying him this year to come back for one more year?

The only way Kobe will come back one more year, is if he feels he can still play at a high level AND the thinks the Lakers will be contenders. He would likely have to come back at a reduced rate as well.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good things must come to an end...the saying goes...Kobe had a great run and imo is hanging on too long, but for that kind of coin...I would hang on too. I just don't know if they can put enough around him #1 to get into the 2nd rd, and #2 is he's willing to be "less" of THE MAN...imo a requirement for your #2 to happen.

Yeah, I remember when the Showtime guys started retiring. Man that sucked. It felt like that era was going to last forever and I was still young enough to believe it might.

Sucks when our sports heroes get old. :lol:

Considering how young they will be, they would have to land a gamechanger type FA this off season and next off season to be in a position to contend and bring Kobe back for 1 more year. Even then, it may not be quite enough because it's probably going to take the youngsters a good 3 years before they really start to fully reach their potential.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know, the West is very deep. I just dont see anything happening with this roster even if Okafor/Towns play well. I guess it depends what they do in FA this year, I think they are saving up mainly for 2016 though.

And the way Kobe has been he might not even play a half season, other injuries happen and misfortunes then they have to wait another season. They could end up having another bottom 5 team, you never know, but even with a healthy roster right now no playoffs looks to be fair.

Durant and Westbrook won less than 30 games each of their first two years together if I am correct.

Rookies- even highly regarded rookies- dont win shit in the NBA unless they come into a great situation- which the Lakers are not right now.

LeBron, CP3, Durant, Davis- combine all their first 2 years in the league and they have as many playoff wins as I have.

In today's NBA- you have to cost control by building through the draft- you cant have a team of just free agents- but it takes time to develop these guys- and even if they do have incredible individual years like Kyrie early on- that does not mean they have the ability to lead a team which is a skill that takes a lot longer to develop. If the Lakers go into the season with a front court of say Okafor and Randle (I think Minne takes Towns) - and Hill is their best vet big man they will get slaughtered underneath the hoop and on the boards.

Unless the Lakers really get some great opportunities this offseason- letting this years pick, and Randle develop and waiting till the cap jumps and the whole world is a free agent NEXT summer is in my opinion their best route to sustained success.

It is tricky though because I personally would not want to have to be the one to tell Kobe that we are waiting yet ANOTHER year to get competitive. This is a team that last won a playoff game in the '11-'12 season. Patience has to be running thin.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a serious note here, I don't think the question is if Kobe decides to retire vs Kobe decides not to retire. If Kobe finds that he can continue to play a few more years, win games and have another shot at another title; then the chances are he will consider it even if he has to take less money and play a diminished role. Another title would make him equal to Michael Jordan and remove all doubt that in his time he was a better player than Lebron ever will be after his career is finished.

The question, however is what Kobe's body has decided to do. Has Kobe's body retired from the long season or can Kobe's body continue to play at a high level and over-come his past injuries and considering that his season has been cut short three years straight, I simply think his body has already begun the process of checking out of the game - regardless of what Kobe's brain is saying