• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things getting interesting in the AFC West

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Broncos and Chiefs both sitting at 4-0, I think it's time some friendly banter get rolling. Even though the Broncos and Chiefs don't square off with each other for several more weeks, I don't see either team reaching that game in worse shape than 6-3, and that's worse-case for both teams.

Both are 4-0 but they both took different roads to get there. The Chiefs have done it on defense and the Broncos through an offense many suggest may set some new records this season. I think it's fair to start including the Chiefs defense in the discussion for best defense in the league, but the Seahawks are in that conversation as well. The Broncos offense is without question the best in the league at this early point in the season.

Offensively the Chiefs are pretty conservative but it has worked well for them so far. Defensively the Broncos are a lot better than they are going to get credit for. They have been good enough to get a few key stops early in games to allow the offense to open up a lead, and then they play with their ears pinned back until the game is well in hand. They have allowed a lot of garbage time points (28 at least, and as many as 38 depending on how you define "garbage time") but have been very good against the run and on third down.

Broncos travel to Dallas next week, and I'll not count out the Cowboys. That game will be another workout for the defense, but I see no reason to expect the offense won't be able to hang 30 on the scoreboard again. The Chiefs have a tough one as they visit the Titans. I think their defense will be able to slow the Titans (Locker left the game yesterday with a hip injury, so that's something to consider) but will they be able to generate enough offense against a pretty solid Titans' defense?

The AFC West is shaping up to be a lot more interesting than a lot of people expected. And my guess is that it is only going to get a little better with every passing week!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Broncos and Chiefs both sitting at 4-0, I think it's time some friendly banter get rolling. Even though the Broncos and Chiefs don't square off with each other for several more weeks, I don't see either team reaching that game in worse shape than 6-3, and that's worse-case for both teams.

Both are 4-0 but they both took different roads to get there. The Chiefs have done it on defense and the Broncos through an offense many suggest may set some new records this season. I think it's fair to start including the Chiefs defense in the discussion for best defense in the league, but the Seahawks are in that conversation as well. The Broncos offense is without question the best in the league at this early point in the season.

Offensively the Chiefs are pretty conservative but it has worked well for them so far. Defensively the Broncos are a lot better than they are going to get credit for. They have been good enough to get a few key stops early in games to allow the offense to open up a lead, and then they play with their ears pinned back until the game is well in hand. They have allowed a lot of garbage time points (28 at least, and as many as 38 depending on how you define "garbage time") but have been very good against the run and on third down.

Broncos travel to Dallas next week, and I'll not count out the Cowboys. That game will be another workout for the defense, but I see no reason to expect the offense won't be able to hang 30 on the scoreboard again. The Chiefs have a tough one as they visit the Titans. I think their defense will be able to slow the Titans (Locker left the game yesterday with a hip injury, so that's something to consider) but will they be able to generate enough offense against a pretty solid Titans' defense?

The AFC West is shaping up to be a lot more interesting than a lot of people expected. And my guess is that it is only going to get a little better with every passing week!

the Locker injury is big and i'll give you the fact that even at that the Titans will be a tough nut to crack. as far as the Cowboys go they'd be my pick as the best team overall out of a bad crop of teams from the NFC LEast. still, as hot as the Donks offense is i'd have to agree that hanging at least another 30 or so on them won't be an issue as long as they stay as focussed as they have been so far this season. as far as the Chiefs offensively i'd say you're 100% correct. keeping up the "death by paper cuts" type offense working against Tennessee's "D" is gonna be a challenge...ESPECIALLY in the Titans back yard. on the defensive side i have no worries whatsoever. imo this will end up being one of the better defenses in the league by season's end and if i'm wrong i'll simply accept that. should be interesting to see how both teams(and the Bolts, btw. not counting them out yet) finish the season out...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we can't count out the Chargers just yet. Let's say they win next week in Oakland (probable) and both the Chiefs and Broncos drop their games (possible, not necessarily probable). Then we've got the 3-2 Charger one game behind the 4-1 Broncos and Chiefs. They also have a home game against the Colts and a road contest with the Jags. I see them no worse than 4-3 going into their week 8 bye.

At this point I am ready to count out the Raiders, though. And should they lose next week they will be 1-4 and 0-2 in their ever-important divisional games.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Oakland was counted out of it before the season even started. Given they did fight hard week one against the Colts but since then they have looked like the team all of us thought they would be.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll give the Raiders some props on Terrell Pryor, though. it'll be interesting if he DOES turn out to be a decent prospect at QB. if so, then they have a franchise player to build around. imo i'd say if anything, develop that guy and see what happens...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll give the Raiders some props on Terrell Pryor, though. it'll be interesting if he DOES turn out to be a decent prospect at QB. if so, then they have a franchise player to build around. imo i'd say if anything, develop that guy and see what happens...

Can't be any worse than the crap they have thrown out on the field for the last 10 years. I agree Pryor was better than I thought he would be and he is a guy that could have a future in this league. We shall see if the Raiders ever figure out how to use the draft to actually build a team around a player like him though.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a two horse race. Period. The Broncos and the Chiefs are clearly the class of the division this year. Phillip Rivers and the Chargers have played courageously, but that team has no depth.

The Chiefs and the Broncos will meet in weeks 9 & 11. Should be a lot of fun. The Chiefs defense is playing lights out, but I still have great confidence that the Broncos can hang a ton of points on any team. Alex Smith is a major upgrade over Cassel, but the opportunistic Broncos D will keep them in check.....IMO.

Guess I'm a homer. I love that the AFCW is climbing out of the cellar. The Chiefs are good, but I still don't think that they can hang with the Peyton led Broncos. I guess that's why they play the games. We'll see! Go Broncos!

MH64

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a two horse race. Period. The Broncos and the Chiefs are clearly the class of the division this year. Phillip Rivers and the Chargers have played courageously, but that team has no depth.

The Chiefs and the Broncos will meet in weeks 9 & 11. Should be a lot of fun. The Chiefs defense is playing lights out, but I still have great confidence that the Broncos can hang a ton of points on any team. Alex Smith is a major upgrade over Cassel, but the opportunistic Broncos D will keep them in check.....IMO.

Guess I'm a homer. I love that the AFCW is climbing out of the cellar. The Chiefs are good, but I still don't think that they can hang with the Peyton led Broncos. I guess that's why they play the games. We'll see! Go Broncos!

MH64

The Chiefs will hang with you guys at Arrowhead and for the first half at least of your home game, IMO. Of course, barring major injuries to either team. The Chiefs will keep Manning off the field and maybe sack a few times. So, I don't see the same margin of victory for you if you win both. Denver's definitely the favorites for the two games, the division, the conference, and at least right now, the NFL.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BVbnMT5CUAA2JT2.jpg

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs will hang with you guys at Arrowhead and for the first half at least of your home game, IMO. Of course, barring major injuries to either team. The Chiefs will keep Manning off the field and maybe sack a few times. So, I don't see the same margin of victory for you if you win both. Denver's definitely the favorites for the two games, the division, the conference, and at least right now, the NFL.

True, but I like KC's chances, though. Very, very tough defense. That always draws the attention of us Southerners.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Why not?

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that both Chiefs and Broncos nation will be looking forward to weeks 9 and 11. IMHO I think these games will come down to the Chiefs pass rush (tops in the league I believe) versus the Broncos O-Line (battered with injuries). If the Chiefs can put the pressure on the Broncos I do believe that our secondary can cover long enough to keep both of these games tight.

As far as the division goes, it will most likely boil down to Broncos and Chiefs. Let's hope for the Chiefs.

Go Chiefs! :suds:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on reaching 5-0. That was a heck of a win out in TN. My Broncos have their hands full with the Cowboys, but they forced a turnover and then a 3 and out, and lead it 21-17 right now.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on reaching 5-0. That was a heck of a win out in TN. My Broncos have their hands full with the Cowboys, but they forced a turnover and then a 3 and out, and lead it 21-17 right now.

has been VERY interesting this season, and a WELCOME change of pace...:suds:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has been VERY interesting this season, and a WELCOME change of pace...:suds:

I agree. As much as I don't want to see the Chiefs keep winning, part of me is excited about the way this division is shaping up. The Broncos still have a long way to go against a good team before they can say they're 5-0, but I am confident they can do it.

And I don't want to count out the Chargers, who should be 3-2 by tomorrow morning.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MH64

after seeing what the Dolts did against the Raiders last night i'm starting to think this post was pretty much spot-on...

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver's defense sucks so KC has a shot at winning this division. Go Chiefs!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver's defense sucks so KC has a shot at winning this division. Go Chiefs!

Just ignore the fact that 5 of our 6 best players on defense were out during this game. Those players would have done exactly the same as all of our back ups.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just ignore the fact that 5 of our 6 best players on defense were out during this game. Those players would have done exactly the same as all of our back ups.

Will do. ;) Just kidding.

Will they be back by the two Broncos-Chiefs games?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will do. ;) Just kidding.

Will they be back by the two Broncos-Chiefs games?

I would guess so...Von Miller is off his suspension after this upcoming Sunday's game. Champ Bailey has been practicing the last couple of weeks and has been a game day scratch so he is maybe a week or two away. Chris Harris just had a concussion. Ayers came back into the game for a bit after his injury but then left so my guess is he will be back either this week or next. Woodyard was probable to come back into the game but ended up not so my guess is his injury isn't too bad either. My guess is all of these guys are back within the next 2 weeks.