• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Ultimate NFL Franchise Ranking

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as we're in the throes of the painful offseason, and seeing as the NFL just completed it's 50th Super Bowl season, I thought this would be a great time rank all 32 NFL franchises, from the worst of the worst to the ultimate team in the Super Bowl era.

Rather than just go by my opinion, I came up with a foolproof, scientific formula to rank all 32 NFL franchises. For those that care, here's the formula I used: I counted up each team's total number of winning seasons, subtracted their total number of losing seasons, and then divided that by their total number of seasons (so as not to unfairly punish teams that haven't been around as long), and used that to come up with their base score. Then added 1 point for each time they made the playoffs, 5 points for getting to the Super Bowl and losing, and 10 points for winning the Super Bowl. This is the team's final score, which I am naming after myself since I invented the formula. Each team's BS (Brian's Score) is then ranked to come up with the ultimate ranking!

Here's an example in case you aren't following: the Jets have had 19 winning seasons and 21 losing seasons in 50 years. They've been to the playoffs 14 times, and they've won the Super Bowl once. So we go (19-21)/50=-4
-4+14+10=20 BS

Got it? Good! On to the rankings, beginning, of course, with the suckiest of the sucks!

32. Detriot Lions - BS -23

Poor, pathetic Lions. Not only do they not have any Super Bowl trips to help improve their score, they only have 14 winning seasons against a whooping 31 losing seasons (tied for the most). Add in only 11 trips to the playoffs, and it's easy to see why they came in dead last.

31. Arizona Cardinals - BS -19

The Cardinals are ahead of the Lions thanks to their one trip to the Super Bowl a few years back. They have 15 winning seasons against 31 losing seasons, and only 8 trips to the playoffs.

30. (TIED) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - BS -18
Jacksonville Jaguars - BS -18

The Bucs and Jaguars both came in at -18. The Bucs lone Super Bowl win kept them from the bottom of the ranking, but in their 40 years they've had 12 winning seasons, 10 playoff seasons, and 27 losing seasons. Meanwhile, the Jaguars have 7 winning seasons, 6 playoff trips, and 12 losing seasons in 21 years.

28. (TIED) New Orleans Saints - BS -17
Atlanta Falcons - BS -17

Another tie, this one to NFC South rivals. Despite their recent success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton, the Saints have historically been pretty terrible. They've got 1 Super Bowl win, but they've only had 12 winning seasons and 10 playoff trips in their 49 years, and they've had 30 losing seasons. The Falcons have also been to one Super Bowl, but their's was a loss. They've managed to put together 14 winning seasons and 12 playoff trips, but have 31 losing seasons of their own.

26. Carolina Panthers - BS -12
Rounding out the NFC South (a truly bad division), we have the most recent Super Bowl losers. Despite two trips to the big game, the Panthers are hurt by only managing 6 winning seasons and 7 playoff trips in their 21 years, and they've had 12 losing seasons.

25. Houston Texans - BS -11
The Texans are mostly hurt for their lack of history, but even in their short existence they haven't experienced much success. They've managed 5 winning seasons in 14 years and 3 trips to the playoffs, against 7 losing seasons.

24. Cleveland Browns - BS -3

Rounding out the teams with negative ratings is the Cleveland Browns. Fortunately for Cleveland their used to be pretty good, because ever since they came back they've been arguably the worst franchise in the NFL. In 47 seasons, they've managed 18 winning seasons and 14 playoff trips against 26 losing seasons, and no Super Bowl appearances.

So that's the worst of the worst, check back later to see the rest!

You probably should normalize the playoff score by number of seasons in the league to be fair as well. It also would insure you are adding values of simular(comparible) units. Great work though overall.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't in a non-sarcastic way. Wouldn't Denver be ranked even higher just taking the last 20 years into account? 4 SBs, 3 wins. Would've made us Broncos fans look like homers just ranking the past 20 years if you did that.

Higher than what ? I wasn't implying that the Ravens would be #1, just that without the Broncos 15-20 extra points for the SB's they lost would make it vastly different...Take off the honer glasses and pay attention...:rolleyes2:

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I assume he picked 20 because that's when the Ravens started, and he thinks that will move them up in the ranks, which it probably would.

But you're right in that the Broncos would do very well. In the last 20 years, the Broncos have 13 winning seasons, 12 trips to the playoffs, 3 losing seasons, 3 Super Bowl wins, and 1 Super Bowl loss. That would be a score of 97 on the BS scale.

The Patriots would score an obscene 136 in the last 20 years.

You assume wrong like most of your opinions are....But the Broncos wouldn't get a 15-20 point advantage in the already bias rankings.....NE has 4 SB wins and piles of playoff wins so they are the ones everyone is chasing....Just face it man, the Broncos are not great...No matter how many formulas you come up with....
And remember your last SB doesn't count to you because as you and cd pronounced, your qb suuhuuucked !!!:tsk:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Higher than what ? I wasn't implying that the Ravens would be #1, just that without the Broncos 15-20 extra points for the SB's they lost would make it vastly different...Take off the honer glasses and pay attention...:rolleyes2:
If you only count the last 20 years the Broncos would be 2nd in this ranking only behind the Patriots is what he meant so we would actually have a higher ranking even if you took out Super Bowl losses counting for 5 points.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You assume wrong like most of your opinions are....But the Broncos wouldn't get a 15-20 point advantage in the already bias rankings.....NE has 4 SB wins and piles of playoff wins so they are the ones everyone is chasing....Just face it man, the Broncos are not great...No matter how many formulas you come up with....
And remember your last SB doesn't count to you because as you and cd pronounced, your qb suuhuuucked !!!:tsk:
So if fans say one player on their Super Bowl winning team didn't do great it completely eliminates the entire award? What crazy world do you live in? You are not making any sense. Throw in if you only count since the Ravens joined the league the Broncos are still the better franchise so by saying we are not great then what are you saying about your team that has had less success?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Jealousy, jealously
I can see you're jealous of me
Keep hatin' me, I see the hate in you're eyes
But it won't stop me"

Chamillionare - Hate In Your Eyes from Madden 06

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you only count the last 20 years the Broncos would be 2nd in this ranking only behind the Patriots is what he meant so we would actually have a higher ranking even if you took out Super Bowl losses counting for 5 points.

You say 2nd, 64 says 5th place tie....Take some time and get your homerism together Sparky !!
And I think we have been in more playoff game than the Donkeys in the past 20 and have the same amount of Lombardi's.....Difference is when we get there we win....
But I don't care if we are better or not in your homer formula....

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say 2nd, 64 says 5th place tie....Take some time and get your homerism together Sparky !!
And I think we have been in more playoff game than the Donkeys in the past 20 and have the same amount of Lombardi's.....Difference is when we get there we win....
But I don't care if we are better or not in your homer formula....
We have won 3 Super Bowls in the last 20 years. Unless I missed something you have only won 2.

We have been to the playoffs 12 times in the past 20 to only 10 for Baltimore. So what is you next argument?

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Jealousy, jealously
I can see you're jealous of me
Keep hatin' me, I see the hate in you're eyes
But it won't stop me"

Chamillionare - Hate In Your Eyes from Madden 06

Breathe deep Brownie !!!!! Serves you right...
8f196bf945cc265256c93d47dbb086be_zps4bf91ec7.jpg
:L:L:L

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just in case you ask we also have more regular season wins over the last 20 years.

The only thing you have more of is 15 playoff wins in that time period to our 13.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have won 3 Super Bowls in the last 20 years. Unless I missed something you have only won 2.

We have been to the playoffs 12 times in the past 20 to only 10 for Baltimore. So what is you next argument?

How many 1 and dones ???? And you have 1 Massacre SB loss.....We don't lose when we get there....
And remember as you so vehemently put it, your qb SUUHUUUUCKED !!!!:pound:

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just in case you ask we also have more regular season wins over the last 20 years.

The only thing you have more of is 15 playoff wins in that time period to our 13.
That don't get any points unless 64 thinks of it !!! :L

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many 1 and dones ???? And you have 1 Massacre SB loss.....We don't lose when we get there....
And remember as you so vehemently put it, your qb SUUHUUUUCKED !!!!:pound:

Pretty sure everybody would take 3 Super Bowl victories over 2 in the same time span plus another Super Bowl appearance. Who cares if our QB wasn't great we still won the Super Bowl! Come on Oldschool you are better than this. Anybody with half a brain can recognize over the last 20 years the Broncos have been the better franchise

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That don't get any points unless 64 thinks of it !!! :L
Just was going ahead before you tried to make the argument without doing the research

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure everybody would take 3 Super Bowl victories over 2 in the same time span plus another Super Bowl appearance. Who cares if our QB wasn't great we still won the Super Bowl! Come on Oldschool you are better than this. Anybody with half a brain can recognize over the last 20 years the Broncos have been the better franchise

It took the Donkeys 32 SB's to win one.....Took us 5......
Took the Donkeys 50 SB's to win 3......Took us 17 to win 2...
We got plenty of time to win another and still be way ahead of your historically mediocre team...
Are we done yet ??:rolleyes2:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got plenty of time to win another and still be way ahead of your historically mediocre team...
You are the one having to change the parameters just to make this work. I just went off what you were saying of just the last 20 years and when you realized your team wished they were the Broncos you had to change dates. Come on man this is getting out of hand

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3