• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Ultimate NFL Franchise Ranking

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as we're in the throes of the painful offseason, and seeing as the NFL just completed it's 50th Super Bowl season, I thought this would be a great time rank all 32 NFL franchises, from the worst of the worst to the ultimate team in the Super Bowl era.

Rather than just go by my opinion, I came up with a foolproof, scientific formula to rank all 32 NFL franchises. For those that care, here's the formula I used: I counted up each team's total number of winning seasons, subtracted their total number of losing seasons, and then divided that by their total number of seasons (so as not to unfairly punish teams that haven't been around as long), and used that to come up with their base score. Then added 1 point for each time they made the playoffs, 5 points for getting to the Super Bowl and losing, and 10 points for winning the Super Bowl. This is the team's final score, which I am naming after myself since I invented the formula. Each team's BS (Brian's Score) is then ranked to come up with the ultimate ranking!

Here's an example in case you aren't following: the Jets have had 19 winning seasons and 21 losing seasons in 50 years. They've been to the playoffs 14 times, and they've won the Super Bowl once. So we go (19-21)/50=-4
-4+14+10=20 BS

Got it? Good! On to the rankings, beginning, of course, with the suckiest of the sucks!

32. Detriot Lions - BS -23

Poor, pathetic Lions. Not only do they not have any Super Bowl trips to help improve their score, they only have 14 winning seasons against a whooping 31 losing seasons (tied for the most). Add in only 11 trips to the playoffs, and it's easy to see why they came in dead last.

31. Arizona Cardinals - BS -19

The Cardinals are ahead of the Lions thanks to their one trip to the Super Bowl a few years back. They have 15 winning seasons against 31 losing seasons, and only 8 trips to the playoffs.

30. (TIED) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - BS -18
Jacksonville Jaguars - BS -18

The Bucs and Jaguars both came in at -18. The Bucs lone Super Bowl win kept them from the bottom of the ranking, but in their 40 years they've had 12 winning seasons, 10 playoff seasons, and 27 losing seasons. Meanwhile, the Jaguars have 7 winning seasons, 6 playoff trips, and 12 losing seasons in 21 years.

28. (TIED) New Orleans Saints - BS -17
Atlanta Falcons - BS -17

Another tie, this one to NFC South rivals. Despite their recent success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton, the Saints have historically been pretty terrible. They've got 1 Super Bowl win, but they've only had 12 winning seasons and 10 playoff trips in their 49 years, and they've had 30 losing seasons. The Falcons have also been to one Super Bowl, but their's was a loss. They've managed to put together 14 winning seasons and 12 playoff trips, but have 31 losing seasons of their own.

26. Carolina Panthers - BS -12
Rounding out the NFC South (a truly bad division), we have the most recent Super Bowl losers. Despite two trips to the big game, the Panthers are hurt by only managing 6 winning seasons and 7 playoff trips in their 21 years, and they've had 12 losing seasons.

25. Houston Texans - BS -11
The Texans are mostly hurt for their lack of history, but even in their short existence they haven't experienced much success. They've managed 5 winning seasons in 14 years and 3 trips to the playoffs, against 7 losing seasons.

24. Cleveland Browns - BS -3

Rounding out the teams with negative ratings is the Cleveland Browns. Fortunately for Cleveland their used to be pretty good, because ever since they came back they've been arguably the worst franchise in the NFL. In 47 seasons, they've managed 18 winning seasons and 14 playoff trips against 26 losing seasons, and no Super Bowl appearances.

So that's the worst of the worst, check back later to see the rest!

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as we're in the throes of the painful offseason, and seeing as the NFL just completed it's 50th Super Bowl season, I thought this would be a great time rank all 32 NFL franchises, from the worst of the worst to the ultimate team in the Super Bowl era.

Rather than just go by my opinion, I came up with a foolproof, scientific formula to rank all 32 NFL franchises. For those that care, here's the formula I used: I counted up each team's total number of winning seasons, subtracted their total number of losing seasons, and then divided that by their total number of seasons (so as not to unfairly punish teams that haven't been around as long), and used that to come up with their base score. Then added 1 point for each time they made the playoffs, 5 points for getting to the Super Bowl and losing, and 10 points for winning the Super Bowl. This is the team's final score, which I am naming after myself since I invented the formula. Each team's BS (Brian's Score) is then ranked to come up with the ultimate ranking!

Here's an example in case you aren't following: the Jets have had 19 winning seasons and 21 losing seasons in 50 years. They've been to the playoffs 14 times, and they've won the Super Bowl once. So we go (19-21)/50=-4
-4+14+10=20 BS

Got it? Good! On to the rankings, beginning, of course, with the suckiest of the sucks!

32. Detriot Lions - BS -23

Poor, pathetic Lions. Not only do they not have any Super Bowl trips to help improve their score, they only have 14 winning seasons against a whooping 31 losing seasons (tied for the most). Add in only 11 trips to the playoffs, and it's easy to see why they came in dead last.

31. Arizona Cardinals - BS -19

The Cardinals are ahead of the Lions thanks to their one trip to the Super Bowl a few years back. They have 15 winning seasons against 31 losing seasons, and only 8 trips to the playoffs.

30. (TIED) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - BS -18
Jacksonville Jaguars - BS -18

The Bucs and Jaguars both came in at -18. The Bucs lone Super Bowl win kept them from the bottom of the ranking, but in their 40 years they've had 12 winning seasons, 10 playoff seasons, and 27 losing seasons. Meanwhile, the Jaguars have 7 winning seasons, 6 playoff trips, and 12 losing seasons in 21 years.

28. (TIED) New Orleans Saints - BS -17
Atlanta Falcons - BS -17

Another tie, this one to NFC South rivals. Despite their recent success with Drew Brees and Sean Payton, the Saints have historically been pretty terrible. They've got 1 Super Bowl win, but they've only had 12 winning seasons and 10 playoff trips in their 49 years, and they've had 30 losing seasons. The Falcons have also been to one Super Bowl, but their's was a loss. They've managed to put together 14 winning seasons and 12 playoff trips, but have 31 losing seasons of their own.

26. Carolina Panthers - BS -12
Rounding out the NFC South (a truly bad division), we have the most recent Super Bowl losers. Despite two trips to the big game, the Panthers are hurt by only managing 6 winning seasons and 7 playoff trips in their 21 years, and they've had 12 losing seasons.

25. Houston Texans - BS -11
The Texans are mostly hurt for their lack of history, but even in their short existence they haven't experienced much success. They've managed 5 winning seasons in 14 years and 3 trips to the playoffs, against 7 losing seasons.

24. Cleveland Browns - BS -3

Rounding out the teams with negative ratings is the Cleveland Browns. Fortunately for Cleveland their used to be pretty good, because ever since they came back they've been arguably the worst franchise in the NFL. In 47 seasons, they've managed 18 winning seasons and 14 playoff trips against 26 losing seasons, and no Super Bowl appearances.

So that's the worst of the worst, check back later to see the rest!

That is an interesting formula to say the least. I'm curious to see how this turns out. My guess is the Pats, Niners, Cowboys, Stealers are top 4.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then added 1 point for each time they made the playoffs, 5 points for getting to the Super Bowl and losing, and 10 points for winning the Super Bowl.
Why is losing in the Super Bowl worth 5 times more than making the playoffs? Ultimately both are seen as good seasons that didn't involve winning it all.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is losing in the Super Bowl worth 5 times more than making the playoffs? Ultimately both are seen as good seasons that didn't involve winning it all.

Really? Getting knocked out in the wildcard round is equal to making the Super Bowl? That doesn't sound right. Guess Brian Hoyer is as good as Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson, and Cam Newton. The last 3 Super Bowl losers managed just as much as Hoyer this year going off that logic. Those guys suck.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Getting knocked out in the wildcard round is equal to making the Super Bowl? That doesn't sound right. Guess Brian Hoyer is as good as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Cam Newton. The last 3 Super Bowl losers managed just as much as Hoyer this year. Going off that logic those guys suck.
That wasn't what I was saying at all.

What I am saying is that losing a Super Bowl is not 5 times more glorious than losing in the Wild Card round or divisional round or championship round.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could make the playoffs and be one and done. It happens a lot. But to lose in the SB means you've beaten at least two and maybe three solid teams in the playoffs. I can see the logic the OP is using here.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could make the playoffs and be one and done. It happens a lot. But to lose in the SB means you've beaten at least two and maybe three solid teams in the playoffs. I can see the logic the OP is using here.
I can but you are going to see some weird results coming up here in the middle of the pack.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What I am saying is that losing a Super Bowl is not 5 times more glorious than losing in the Wild Card round or divisional round or championship round.

Maybe not more glorious, but certainly worth more in general. Making the Super Bowl is a tough task. Only 2 out of 32 teams do it in a given season. It's certainly worth noting being one of the 2 best teams that year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I guess you could view it as possibly just a bit over 1 point more per game won to make it further. Such as a team that loses in the wild card getting one point but with winning in that round plus the next 2 it is just a little over a point more per game won at that point. Throw in then the fact that you won your conference.

So Wild Card win (even if you have a bye should still count as a win as your team has advanced) 1 point
Divisional round win 1 point
Championship round win 1 point
The fact that you won your conference maybe worth 2 points. So that final game is actually worth 3 points per say in this scenario.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the list, to see which franchises make up the middle of the pack!

23. Chicago Bears - BS 11

Despite being around forever, and having a Super Bowl win and another trip on their resume, the Bears came in pretty low. That's mostly do to having 27 losing seasons. 18 winning seasons and 14 playoff trips were enough to get them a positive BS.

22. Buffalo Bills - BS 12

The Bills haven't had much success outside of their run with Kelly in the 90s. 29 losing seasons will kill your score even if you have been to 4 Super Bowls. The Bills have managed 18 winning seasons and 14 playoff trips.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - BS 14

The Bengals have 18 winning seasons, 14 playoff trips, and 2 Super Bowl appearances in their 48 seasons, but 23 losing seasons keep their score fairly low.

20. San Diego Chargers - BS 16

For the Chargers, their losing seasons (21) barely outnumber their winning seasons (20), but they have 13 trips to the playoffs and 1 Super Bowl appearance to push that score up.

19. Tennessee Titans - BS 19

Another franchise whose losing seasons (22) barely outnumber their winning seasons (20), the Titans have a few more playoff appearances (18) and that one Super Bowl trip to put them just ahead of the Chargers.

18. New York Jets - BS 20

See example for the Jets numbers.

17. Philadelphia Eagles - BS 30

The Eagles have exactly the same number of winning seasons as losing seasons (23). They also have 20 playoff appearances and 2 trips to the Super Bowl, but no wins.

16. Seattle Seahawks - BS 40

In just 40 seasons, the Seahawks have 19 winning seasons, 17 losing seasons, 15 trips to the playoffs, 2 Super Bowl losses, and 1 Super Bowl win.

15. Los Angeles Rams - BS 41

Like the Eagles, the Rams have the same number of winning seasons as losing seasons (24). Unlike the Eagles, they've won a Super Bowl. They've also been to 2 others and have made the playoffs 21 times.

14. Kansas City Chiefs - BS 46

The Chiefs have a Super Bowl win and loss, they have 27 winning seasons and 17 playoff trips against 20 losing seasons.

13. Baltimore Ravens - BS 50

What the Ravens have accomplished in just 20 years is rather remarkable. 2 Super Bowl wins, 11 winning seasons, and 10 trips to the playoffs against just 7 losing seasons. If they keep up this kind of pace, they'll climb the BS rankings quickly.

12. New York Giants - BS 52

Frankly, I was surprised a team with 4 Super Bowl wins and another trip would rank this low, but consistency hurts the Giants. They only have 20 winning seasons and 15 trips to the playoffs against 24 losing seasons.

11. Indianoplis Colts - BS 71

The Colts fell just out of the top 10, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. They have 28 winning seasons and 23 trips to the playoffs against just 19 losing seasons. They've also been to the Super Bowl 4 times, winning twice.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that you won your conference maybe worth 2 points. So that final game is actually worth 3 points per say in this scenario.
Its a pretty big weight to the AFC/NFC Championship worth 5pts but the Divisional Round and Wild Card worth nothing. A team like the Eagles and Bengals and to a lesser extent teams like the Chiefs are going to move down the rankings and a team like the Bills is going to be lulz high

edit - ninja'd with list

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can but you are going to see some weird results coming up here in the middle of the pack.
Some of the other posters addressed it, but essentially I view finishing as one of the top two teams in the NFL as a much bigger accomplishment than being 1 of 12 to make the playoffs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a pretty big weight to the AFC/NFC Championship worth 5pts but the Divisional Round and Wild Card worth nothing. A team like the Eagles and Bengals and to a lesser extent teams like the Chiefs are going to move down the rankings and a team like the Bills is going to be lulz high

edit - ninja'd with list

Well Bills still only finished 22nd in this ranking though. No ranking system is going to be perfect by any means and maybe it is putting too much weight on winning the conference compared to winning the Super Bowl but it definitely deserves at least a few points compard to just making the playoffs.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

edit - ninja'd with list
The Bills finished lower than the Eagles, Bengals, and Chiefs.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe my Vikes are a top 10 franchise of all time.

Listen to the sport's talk radio shows from this area and everyone makes it sound as if we are the worst franchise to root for in all of sport's history.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills finished lower than the Eagles, Bengals, and Chiefs.
The Bills have probably been a bottom 2 franchise since that run. I see your point, though. The results aren't silly ridiculous or anything.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants #1

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know.

No I'm serious. I don't know.

In my lifetime of watching football (that I remember) my team hasn't been to the SB to win it or lose it. Been bounced out of the playoffs a hell of a lot of times though.

Winning in the playoffs is a great feeling so I would think that 5 times the amount is right around the proper weight. Thinking that the only thing that matters is a SB win is foolish. Winning playoff games is one hell of a feeling for a fan. Nothing like partying it up on a Sunday and getting to take that "what might happen" feeling one week further along in the season.