• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Trey Burke Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 3-15 today. I know it doesn't work this way, but I wish that when he saw that he wasn't shooting well, he would go to assist mode. That way we could get the benefit of his hot shooting days and not the negative of this bad ones. He was zero for eight from the three-point line. At some point, you'd think that you weren't making them. I know, a player should always feel like he's going to make it if he is open and takes the shot in the flow of the offense.

He's a rookie. He's going to have these days and he's growing through them.

BTW, Rookie of the Month for December. First Jazz man to win a month since Karl Malone in 1985. You know, not including my fictional awards where I won in July, August, and Septembrr last year. Shhh! Don't tell them I'm not a rookie any more. It's like being a Super Senior in college or like having multiple redshirt years where you play but retain your redshirt year.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I still like him.

Every time you have to say "but I still like him", it means "But my fondness for him is waning".

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I still like him.

But do you like Carter-Williams more?

The Jazz have a history of picking the wrong guy.

They should have picked Valanciunas over Kanter. The Jazz seemed to be the only team that liked Kanter that much, while many others felt Valanciunas was better. And, as of now, he still is better.

Paul George over Gordan Hayward.

They should have had Minnesota draft Michael Carter Williams for them instead of Trey Burke.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenneth Faried or Kawhi Leonard over Alec Burks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But do you like Carter-Williams more?

The Jazz have a history of picking the wrong guy.

They should have picked Valanciunas over Kanter. The Jazz seemed to be the only team that liked Kanter that much, while many others felt Valanciunas was better. And, as of now, he still is better.

Paul George over Gordan Hayward.

They should have had Minnesota draft Michael Carter Williams for them instead of Trey Burke.

Carter-Williams? Are you kidding me? Can you tell which way I'm going with this? You know me, I'll take the assist man who can shoot. Well, better shooting percentage anyway.

Never was committed/into the Kanter pick but that was partially due to Jefferson, Millsap, Favors, and the other guy. Seemed extra. Now, he seems hurt or I don't notice him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter-Williams? Are you kidding me? Can you tell which way I'm going with this? You know me, I'll take the assist man who can shoot. Well, better shooting percentage anyway.

Not to mention being 2nd in the league in steals per game. And I also think his defense is fine. (He's not just a gambler, but he plays solid defense too).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey Burke's Rookie Growing Pains

Cmon, a national TV game, Sloan's retirement, and a game against an All-Star, and you don't step up?

This is exactly the time of environment where rookies make a mark for themselves, and announce they can play.

I remember watching Kirk Hinrich's first game against Baron Davis in 2002-2003. Liked seeing Hinrich take on the challenge.

I've had similar past games where I've enjoyed rookie vs. veteran matchups, with rookies playing well.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, a national TV game, Sloan's retirement, and a game against an All-Star, and you don't step up?

This is exactly the time of environment where rookies make a mark for themselves, and announce they can play.

I remember watching Kirk Hinrich's first game against Baron Davis in 2002-2003. Liked seeing Hinrich take on the challenge.

I've had similar past games where I've enjoyed rookie vs. veteran matchups, with rookies playing well.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was bad again tonight. They say he is a shooter. Sure he hits a couple down the stretch. But, overall, not so good. Hayward had another bad shooting game tonight too (against LAC). I have never been in awe of him as a shooter. I hope they don't give Gordie a max deal. He's alright, but not primo.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to get a little bit impatient with Trey Burke's shooting. Just shoot threes. Don't bother with the two point shots. If he shot 100 three-pointers he'd make 101.38 points. If he shot a hundred two pointers, he would make 78.77 points. And that's including the lay-ups. Just shoot threes and distribute the ball. And yes, I know that this is not a practical suggestion.

His magic number for assists this year should be 6. He's at 5.6 right now. This means he needs to average 6.73 assists per game for the rest of the season. He's already passed my magic number for points, which is 12. He's at 12.8 right now. He has exceeded my magic number for rebounds. He is at 3.2 right now. Maybe that's from rebounding all his misses? Just kidding, the bulk of his rebounds are defensive. I want him to get about one steal per game. This would mean that he would have to average 1.7 steals for the rest of the season. Not happening. Right now, he averages 0.6.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Burke, this next game against the Suns, I want you to get 19 steals. That'll give you the average of one per game. If that's too hard, get 20 steals in the next two games or 21 in the next three. We have very little time to go. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to shoot 44.6% for the rest of the season to get over the 40% for the year. Sadly, I don't think that's happening. And, it's not like I'm asking for 45% or 50. Next year, I will ask for 45%. The next year, I asked for 50%. Then, after that it stays at 50. I am lenient at the start but then have high expectations at the end. 50% is pretty good for a point guard.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm starting to get a little bit impatient with Trey Burke's shooting. Just shoot threes. Don't bother with the two point shots. If he shot 100 three-pointers he'd make 101.38 points. If he shot a hundred two pointers, he would make 78.77 points. And that's including the lay-ups. Just shoot threes and distribute the ball. And yes, I know that this is not a practical suggestion.

His magic number for assists this year should be 6. He's at 5.6 right now. This means he needs to average 6.73 assists per game for the rest of the season. He's already passed my magic number for points, which is 12. He's at 12.8 right now. He has exceeded my magic number for rebounds. He is at 3.2 right now. Maybe that's from rebounding all his misses? Just kidding, the bulk of his rebounds are defensive. I want him to get about one steal per game. This would mean that he would have to average 1.7 steals for the rest of the season. Not happening. Right now, he averages 0.6.

3.2 rebounds is terrible for a player.

PGs are usually quick so they can get a few defensive boards, and 1 offensive board.

Burks rebounds appropriately for a PG. He's better than Burke at rebounding.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.2 rebounds is terrible for a player.

PGs are usually quick so they can get a few defensive boards, and 1 offensive board.

Burks rebounds appropriately for a PG. He's better than Burke at rebounding.

And your point is? I didn't expect any more than terrible this year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-6 shooting! But only two assists against Phoenix.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trey does not look much like a franchise cornerstone since the all-star break. I have yet to see him look like the star of the game. I've seen a nifty move or two and a couple late game makes. But, I have yet to be dazzled by anything in particular. He seems to be afraid to make a mistake. There have been a couple nights where I thought Diante looked like the better option.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mistake at Salt Lake.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mistake at Salt Lake.

This is how bad it's gotten. I was going to argue with you because I don't agree. But I don't have the patience. You win. Mistake. I'm hoping that it doesn't look as much of one next year.

But I will say this, he'll be much better next year now that he's set the bar so low. He probably will even be good and I will be placatedly happy. Err, satisfied. And I will brag about his improvement. The year following that he should be good. I will brag about his goodness and better attitude than Williams (even if he doesn't become better than DWont). Now, there will be others that could be better, but it'll be to the point that I'm looking at someone else to do the improving.

I feel resigned by my desperate expectations of the player who will pose as the point guard of the Utah Jazz. It's like how Niners fans were spoiled at the QB position with Joe Montana, Steve Young, and from time to time, Jeff Garcia. I miss Stockton. I wish Jeff Hornacek were coach right now with Stockton as an assistant and Malone in the role he is in now. Sad thing is, we could have had the two realistic options and we instead have only one, the lesser role playing role.

I actually think Stockton, if he were so inclined, could be better than Hornacek, but I already stretched reality to say that he'd even be on the bench, let alone head coach it (though I do think if he were to take a coaching job, it'd have to be as a head coach - he has too much reason not to coach that assisting it up this time is not his thing). It was also a stretch for me to assume that the Jazz were going to look for anyone beyond Ty Corbin.

The Jazz Are the... I can't say it, but get a coach.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There! Now are you happy, Nuraman?!!!