• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Lottery Day thread for the rest of us

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I have no reason to believe any of them will fail. But until they're all productive NHLers, they all have as good a chance of being stars as they do of being Stefans.

I get what you're trying to say here but I think you worded/explained it very poorly. You'd never say "until I'm out of the shower I have as good a chance of falling and dying as I do of surviving". They have a lot better chance right now of being stars than they do of being complete busts.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're trying to say here but I think you worded/explained it very poorly. You'd never say "until I'm out of the shower I have as good a chance of falling and dying as I do of surviving". They have a lot better chance right now of being stars than they do of being complete busts.
Prospects are just that, prospects. No matter what.

You can pick out the last 10 first overall guys and pick out 2 (Johnson and Yak) who didn't live up to the hype and say that's a small number but that's still 1 in 5 that didn't pan out (or, to link the situations even more, the exact odds the Leafs had of winning first overall). I don't count my chickens before they hatch.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects are just that, prospects. No matter what.

You can pick out the last 10 first overall guys and pick out 2 (Johnson and Yak) who didn't live up to the hype and say that's a small number but that's still 1 in 5 that didn't pan out (or, to link the situations even more, the exact odds the Leafs had of winning first overall). I don't count my chickens before they hatch.

Yeah like I said I got what you were trying to say. Maybe try something like "until a prospect is an NHL player to me he's nothing"? Because the statement "until they're all productive NHLers, they all have as good a chance of being stars as they do of being Stefans" is saying something different.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah like I said I got what you were trying to say. Maybe try something like "until a prospect is an NHL player to me he's nothing"? Because the statement "until they're all productive NHLers, they all have as good a chance of being stars as they do of being Stefans" is saying something different.

Or maybe "right now, he's neither a star nor a Stefan"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they could be Stefans? Or Daigles, or whichever highly-touted #1 overall busted hard (or top 5 etc. in Marner/Nylander's cases). That potential is just there. I don't think any of them will but it wouldn't be the first or last time a player hasn't lived up to the hype.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they could be Stefans? Or Daigles, or whichever highly-touted #1 overall busted hard (or top 5 etc. in Marner/Nylander's cases). That potential is just there. I don't think any of them will but it wouldn't be the first or last time a player hasn't lived up to the hype.

The potential is there, sure. But the way you worded your statement suggested that the potential of them completely busting is relatively equal to the potential of them being stars. And I don't think that's the case, and I doubt that you do either.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The potential is there, sure. But the way you worded your statement suggested that the potential of them completely busting is relatively equal to the potential of them being stars. And I don't think that's the case, and I doubt that you do either.
I think they're very good prospects, and I think there are players taken in and around their picks that are not-so-good prospects *cough*NickRitchie*cough*. Fair enough?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the top 3 (Matthews and the two Finns) will go 1-2-3, I think at least one of Edmonton and Vancouver will take a dman, thus that leaves a pretty good forward for the Flames in the 6 hole. I'm fine with how this unfolded.

Like you said earlier Edmonton might TRADE for Hamonic.

Last edited:

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here we go again...

Much better chance we pick 5th over 1 or 2.

Sad!

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First year in a long time I cared about the early first round picks of the draft :Cry:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Death, taxes, and a Trevor Linden interview at the draft lottery.

:behindsofa:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't have made worse picks for the top 3.