• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Lottery Day thread for the rest of us

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your team actually got someone to trade for Phaneuf.

They didn't exactly get a player like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as part of the return when they did it though.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And congrats to you and your team on taking 1 in TB.

If the league won't award the team with more points home ice, we'll just take it!!

I can't wait to travel up to BK for Game 4. My first Barclays game.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't exactly get a player like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as part of the return when they did it though.

Understood. But they didn't add, say, Atkinson, Rychel and Forsberg either.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood. But they didn't add, say, Atkinson, Rychel and Forsberg either.

I think you might be overestimating the trade value of those three as well. But even if you aren't, isn't the whole idea behind trading a chit like Nugent-Hopkins to get (young and developing) help on defense in return? How would this help that?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be overestimating the trade value of those three as well. But even if you aren't, isn't the whole idea behind trading a chit like Nugent-Hopkins to get (young and developing) help on defense in return? How would this help that?
I would argue that Edmonton is only moving any combination of either RNH, Hall or their 4th overall pick if an elite 1st pair guy is coming back. I know it's Edmonton and they've done things dumb enough to suggest otherwise but you don't move top six guys for spare parts and projects when you've been waiting a decade to make the playoffs.

If Columbus wants to deal with Edmonton, one of Jones or Murray would be the conversation starters. If they were to move Jones for say RNH and the 4th pick that RyJo trade suddenly doesn't look so short-sighted.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Columbus wants to deal with Edmonton, one of Jones or Murray would be the conversation starters. If they were to move Jones for say RNH and the 4th pick that RyJo trade suddenly doesn't look so short-sighted.

I have to believe Edmonton was banking on a top-3 pick and since they fell out of the top 3, I think that changes their plans dramatically. I mean, they could still move RNH or Eberle, but I think it's a lot less likely now. What I could see happening is the Oilers overpaying for Keith Yandle on July 1st and essentially standing pat with their current lineup.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that Edmonton is only moving any combination of either RNH, Hall or their 4th overall pick if an elite 1st pair guy is coming back. I know it's Edmonton and they've done things dumb enough to suggest otherwise but you don't move top six guys for spare parts and projects when you've been waiting a decade to make the playoffs.

And a little while ago you tried to say that Kadri was worth a first rounder.

I keep forgetting that every player in the Leafs' system is a total stud and everyone in every other system is complete shit. I should write that down somewhere.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe Edmonton was banking on a top-3 pick and since they fell out of the top 3, I think that changes their plans dramatically. I mean, they could still move RNH or Eberle, but I think it's a lot less likely now. What I could see happening is the Oilers overpaying for Keith Yandle on July 1st and essentially standing pat with their current lineup.
I mean, I certainly hope this is what they do :D

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about the Flames being in the 6 hole is that is certainly provides a lot of discussion points. I mean, if they would have landed a top 3 pick, you pretty much know what they are doing. With Edmonton at 4 and Vancouver at 5, you wonder if one of them will take a defenseman leaving one of either Tkachuk or Dubois at #6. If neither Tkachuk nor Dubois are available, do they potentially trade down or do they take a flyer or somebody like Michael McLeod, Alex Nylander, Tyson Jost, or Logan Brown?

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision :D

Last edited:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I keep forgetting that every player in the Leafs' system is a total stud and everyone in every other system is complete shit. I should write that down somewhere.
I'd love to know what team wouldn't give up a non-lottery (or even a late lottery) first rounder for a positive-possession centre who has averaged 50 pts a year over 4 full NHL seasons skating alongside such luminaries as Leo Komarov and Joffrey Lupul and signed to a team-friendly contract.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod:

I knew you would come around.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about the Flames being in the 6 hole is that is certainly provides a lot of discussion points. I mean, if they would have landed a top 3 pick, you pretty much know what they are doing. With Edmonton at 4 and Vancouver at 5, you wonder if one of them will take a defenseman leaving one of either Tkachuk or Dubois at #6. If neither Tkachuk nor Dubois are available, do they potentially trade down or do they take a flyer or somebody like Michael McLeod, Alex Nylander, Tyson Jost, or Logan Brown?

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision :D
Wonder if BB&T (yes I'm calling them that now) would like to trade for JVR for a second time.

Regardless, would love for the Leafs to somehow snag a second top ten pick and draft Juo or Chych or the Russian d-man. They kind of have an Edmonton thing going on right now where they have some awesome forward talent bubbling but nothing percolating on the blue line (or in net, for that matter).