• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft lottery

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of proves the point. Most of those teams are good now. It wont happen in 1 year but a number 1 or 2 pick can turn a team around in 2 or 3 years. It is not a guarantee but more often then not it is worth it.

It proves what point? Why do you need a lottery when the current system is working as intended?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It proves what point? Why do you need a lottery when the current system is working as intended?
The point is that you can turn around a franchise in a couple years with an early pick. So it is worth doing what is necessary to get one of the first 2 or 3

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any coach dumb enough to tank in the NFL doesnt have jobs for too long so it doesn't really matter. Problem works itself out.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that you can turn around a franchise in a couple years with an early pick. So it is worth doing what is necessary to get one of the first 2 or 3
Again, why would you change the current draft system, that is doing exactly what it was intended to do, for a lottery system? If it's not broke, why are you trying to fix it? It's clear that the same teams aren't tanking for the top draft pick every year, because they are too busy prepping for playoff games. :noidea:

GM's and coaches don't often want to tank because there is a short shelf life for their position if they aren't winning.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, why would you change the current draft system, that is doing exactly what it was intended to do, for a lottery system? If it's not broke, why are you trying to fix it? It's clear that the same teams aren't tanking for the top draft pick every year, because they are too busy prepping for playoff games. :noidea:

GM's and coaches don't often want to tank because there is a short shelf life for their position if they aren't winning.
Because it encourages teams having a bad year to tank. That was the whole point of the thread.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think one early pick can turn a franchise around in the NFL?

I completely disagree.

And it's crazy to me with you being a Lions fan to think as much

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and you see this happening where?

I know right? Carolina had no reason to tank...Arizona didn't have Murray...The Giants are out here beating teams with a former Illinois qb, Washington played Howell in hopes he'd be the guy, The Pats won a meaningless game for them against the Broncos and the Bears keep winning. No one is out here sitting guys in order to lose.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think one early pick can turn a franchise around in the NFL?

I completely disagree.

And it's crazy to me with you being a Lions fan to think as much
I admire what the Lions have been doing the past year and half. But they are the epitome for debunking the theory that teams tank for high draft picks with the purpose of turning their franchises around. Look how many years the Lions were a bottom 5 team and in some of those years the absolute worst. It took them almost three decades to finally put together a solid, winning roster. Three decades in NFL years is like 6 or 7 generations of players coming and going. Where did all that high drafting get them and why didn't that turn around their franchise years and years earlier?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know right? Carolina had no reason to tank...Arizona didn't have Murray...The Giants are out here beating teams with a former Illinois qb, Washington played Howell in hopes he'd be the guy, The Pats won a meaningless game for them against the Broncos and the Bears keep winning. No one is out here sitting guys in order to lose.
Remember Houston was sitting on the #1 pick the previous season before winning that last game and handing the top pick to the Bears. Wouldn't a team bent on tanking in order to secure that pick actually tank?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire what the Lions have been doing the past year and half. But they are the epitome for debunking the theory that teams tank for high draft picks with the purpose of turning their franchises around. Look how many years the Lions were a bottom 5 team and in some of those years the absolute worst. It took them almost three decades to finally put together a solid, winning roster. Three decades in NFL years is like 6 or 7 generations of players coming and going. Where did all that high drafting get them and why didn't that turn around their franchise years and years earlier?

Remember Houston was sitting on the #1 pick the previous season before winning that last game and handing the top pick to the Bears. Wouldn't a team bent on tanking in order to secure that pick actually tank?

This whole thread to me is weird. I could see a team maybe tanking the last few games of the season to try to get a #1 pick, but even then I don't think there is much evidence of that. The lottery would more likely make a disappointing season for a team, even worse. I know I've seen my fair share of it the past few years with the Red Wings and Pistons.

The lottery often sucks, and I don't see any reason to have it in the NFL.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yep

and oddly enough it worked out for Houston because it seems clear they got the better qb

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of times, the lottery ends up an excuse to give better teams a chance at the top prospects.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep

and oddly enough it worked out for Houston because it seems clear they got the better qb

It's early, lets not bury Bryce just yet. Houston has the better targets for Stroud (and better ownership).

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing can overcome a shitty front office

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of times, the lottery ends up an excuse to give better teams a chance at the top prospects.
A lot of times the league cheats the lottery anyway to put stars in preferred destinations like in the NBA and NHL.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you made the playoffs you are not getting a lottery pick. The teams that barely missed only get 2 out of 50 chance plus maybe 2 or 3 more. Its not much. Something like 4 out of 80. The bottom 2 teams it is something like 11 out of 80. About 2.5 times as much. It could be skewed more. I just threw that system out there as an example. Most likely if they did it they would have 5 time more likely to still get the first pick then the teams that just missed.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is tanking? Cardinals just won a hard road game they could have easily thrown away, Bears are winning, Panthers don't even have a first round pick to tank.
washington seems like they are after losing 7 games in a row.it,s working,they got th 2nd pick so far.