• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam might or might not have been more important a couple of years ago but after his hold out and mediocre play when came back he most certainly was not more important than Bennett last year.

Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Avril, and Bennett are top players on the D. Wright is close and Kam needs to redeem himself with a return to form before he deserves mention at the top.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam might or might not have been more important a couple of years ago but after his hold out and mediocre play when came back he most certainly was not more important than Bennett last year.

Thomas, Sherman, Wagner, Avril, and Bennett are top players on the D. Wright is close and Kam needs to redeem himself with a return to form before he deserves mention at the top.

I think we will see the Kam of a couple of years ago. The hold out and distraction is in the past and has a whole off season to prepare, train and get back into the mind set that made him a top player at his position.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Bennett to sit out first week of OTA's

Michael Bennett to sit out first week of OTA's

This is after he said he WOULDN'T hold out on May 16th/17th.
These are volunteer events. Of course it looks good to be there, but I can see him avoiding the OTA's as long as they are voluntary. I would expect him to miss every volunteer event.
Bennett will continue his usual me 1st antics and that is what we will get from him, plus stellar play on the field.

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Bennett's attitude, he knows he outplayed his deal so he said he'd like a new deal, he also said he'll be at camp and expects to be in the running for defensive MVP. He wasn't happy last year either, yet he showed up and was one of our best players all year. I really don't see the problem here.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Bennett's attitude, he knows he outplayed his deal so he said he'd like a new deal, he also said he'll be at camp and expects to be in the running for defensive MVP. He wasn't happy last year either, yet he showed up and was one of our best players all year. I really don't see the problem here.

I do, he did not outplay his contract in my eyes. See the way Bennetts contract worded is it paid/pays him the SAME base salary every year. meaning he got 7.1 mill in 2014 and he will get 7.1 mill this year. Some contracts are back loaded some are front loaded. Had they Hawks Backloaded his contract he would be making top 15 money for a DE but he wanted more upfront. Over the life of his current contract based on the 2014 scale he made top 14 money for a DE. Yeah not underpaid. Had he been producing better than #20 in defensive pressures then sure. ( Avril was #7 for ALL players ) Yet Bennett seems to say stuff like " love my team, they make me better, etc etc etc" then he turns around and says "i'm the best, i deserve top money, Defensive MVP ( LMAO NOT EVEN A CHANCE BUD ) and shows that he believes he is more important than the team by skipping OTA's.

But i am fine with him missing OTA's because Reed is going to get a lot more playing time and between Reed and Clark i see a phasing out of Bennett.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do, he did not outplay his contract in my eyes. See the way Bennetts contract worded is it paid/pays him the SAME base salary every year. meaning he got 7.1 mill in 2014 and he will get 7.1 mill this year. Some contracts are back loaded some are front loaded. Had they Hawks Backloaded his contract he would be making top 15 money for a DE but he wanted more upfront. Over the life of his current contract based on the 2014 scale he made top 14 money for a DE. Yeah not underpaid. Had he been producing better than #20 in defensive pressures then sure. ( Avril was #7 for ALL players ) Yet Bennett seems to say stuff like " love my team, they make me better, etc etc etc" then he turns around and says "i'm the best, i deserve top money, Defensive MVP ( LMAO NOT EVEN A CHANCE BUD ) and shows that he believes he is more important than the team by skipping OTA's.

But i am fine with him missing OTA's because Reed is going to get a lot more playing time and between Reed and Clark i see a phasing out of Bennett.

The only way Bennett gets phased out will be an injury.

And if you don't think that he's outplayed the value of his contract, what's the problem? He's not getting a raise. But is he supposed to not want one? Are you really going to hold it against his for wanting more money, but playing it out on the current deal?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way Bennett gets phased out will be an injury.

And if you don't think that he's outplayed the value of his contract, what's the problem? He's not getting a raise. But is he supposed to not want one? Are you really going to hold it against his for wanting more money, but playing it out on the current deal?

Bennett shouldn't get a new contract this year. Now if he gets say 13+ sacks is a top 10 in QB pressures and cuts down his bone headed penalties he should get a new contract next offseason BASED ON THOSE THINGS BEING MET. If he has a sub 10 sack season and is once again in the bottom 20 for pressures the Hawks wont give him a new contract. Why you ask, Easy when his current deal runs out he will be 32 years old. It might just be time for them to move on and i believe they all ready have that plan in place to do that sooner rather than later.

If they figure it's time to move on from Bennett then in 2017 would be a good time as there is going to be a BUTTLOAD of UFA DE's hitting the market, that's going to drive up Bennett's price like crazy. There are many younger guys also on that list that the Hawks could grab for 5 to 7 million and this would be Big raises for those players.

Last edited:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett shouldn't get a new contract this year. Now if he gets say 13+ sacks is a top 10 in QB pressures and cuts down his bone headed penalties he should get a new contract next offseason BASED ON THOSE THINGS BEING MET. If he has a sub 10 sack season and is once again in the bottom 20 for pressures the Hawks wont give him a new contract. Why you ask, Easy when his current deal runs out he will be 32 years old. It might just be time for them to move on and i believe they all ready have that plan in place to do that sooner rather than later.

If they figure it's time to move on from Bennett then in 2017 would be a good time as there is going to be a BUTTLOAD of UFA DE's hitting the market, that's going to drive up Bennett's price like crazy. There are many younger guys also on that list that the Hawks could grab for 5 to 7 million and this would be Big raises for those players.

You're missing my point, Scream. I'm not suggesting that he get a new contract. I'm saying he won't this year. And that should make us all happy, especially someone who feels like he's earning his fair market value. You're so caught up in the fact that he wants a new deal, that you're glossing over the fact that he is going to play under his current one.

And depending on where you're getting your numbers, he is top 10 in pressures. #1 according to PFF.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing my point, Scream. I'm not suggesting that he get a new contract. I'm saying he won't this year. And that should make us all happy, especially someone who feels like he's earning his fair market value. You're so caught up in the fact that he wants a new deal, that you're glossing over the fact that he is going to play under his current one.

And depending on where you're getting your numbers, he is top 10 in pressures. #1 according to PFF.

got mine from Sportingcharts.com, they rank the top 200 even if they only played in a few games. They do not use the "qualifier" thing. This means if someone played in 8 games but had more pressures than someone who played in 16 games they will be ranked above them instead of losing that ranking because they did not qualify.

Jason Pierre-Paul who only played in 8 games had as many QB pressures as Bennett in 16 lol

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't sound right. Certainly not by Giant's fans reax to JPP lately.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got mine from Sportingcharts.com, they rank the top 200 even if they only played in a few games. They do not use the "qualifier" thing. This means if someone played in 8 games but had more pressures than someone who played in 16 games they will be ranked above them instead of losing that ranking because they did not qualify.

Jason Pierre-Paul who only played in 8 games had as many QB pressures as Bennett in 16 lol

I'll just repost my argument abut the inconsistencies of leaning on Sporting Charts "hurries" stats.

But since we're moving on to QB hurries from Sporting Charts, 2015 is the only year in their careers that Bennett has finished behind Avril in their "QB hurries" stat. And to your claim that Bennetts play in 15 was similar to his in 12, SC's stats show that Bennett was 3rd in the NFL in QB hurries that year.

Also, in 2012, the top "hurry" pass rusher had 15 hurries. The next year, there were 8 players with more than 15 hurries. Then the year after that, there were 20 players that had more than 15 hurries. Then, in 2015, there were 61 players with more than 15 hurries!!! That tells me that either pass rushers have improved exponentially over 4 years, or that stat is flawed and still in development.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said he wasn't important but that is more because of his versatility ( playing inside ). They don't have another player that can rush up the middle as good as Bennett BUT you ever notice they normally put him beside Avril when they move him inside? They are saying pick your poison to the offense. Can't double team both of them on the same side. He is important but Avril is EVERY bit as important and for Bennetts success even more so. With out Avril Bennett doesn't have the same success. Irvin played DE at like 40% of Bennetts snaps from DE and had half the sacks Bennett did. Meaning if he had as many snaps there he very well would have matched and most like BEAT his numbers. Avril will allow strong production on who ever they put there. He doesn't get the respect he deservers. Heck i even remember a team talking about Avril as the one they were worried about. Can't remember if that was last year or the year before.

Irvin fit in that role situationally and performed well. But to assume that he could play every down and be a better player against the run and pass as Bennett is a massive stretch. Maybe he's a better pure pass rusher, but he would be so exposed as a run defender (compared to Bennett) on early downs his ability to rush the passer would never really matter.

Last edited:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this about the sporting charts numbers, Bennett is only 1 of their "hurries" behind Von Miller, and 2 behind JJ Watt. So, if his 20th ranking carries weight, I guess those guys also have some serious work to do.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this about the sporting charts numbers, Bennett is only 1 of their "hurries" behind Von Miller, and 2 behind JJ Watt. So, if his 20th ranking carries weight, I guess those guys also have some serious work to do.

now add their sack to those numbers i mean there is a HUGE difference between 26 pressures, 78 tackles and 18 sacks to 24,52 and 10

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now add their sack to those numbers i mean there is a HUGE difference between 26 pressures, 78 tackles and 18 sacks to 24,52 and 10

Ok, that works with Watt. Doesn't explain away Miller.

How much weight do you really put behind Sporting Charts Hurries stats? You have responded to my remarks about the massive disparities over the years, or the fact that this is the first year that Bennett has been behind Avril in this metric, even though you claim Avril is much better and these stats prove it. Is 2015 the only year they got it right?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, that works with Watt. Doesn't explain away Miller.

How much weight do you really put behind Sporting Charts Hurries stats? You have responded to my remarks about the massive disparities over the years, or the fact that this is the first year that Bennett has been behind Avril in this metric, even though you claim Avril is much better and these stats prove it. Is 2015 the only year they got it right?

Avril has continued to Improve Bennett has not. Like i said he is being paid fairly because he numbers have been pretty level with a few up ticks here and there or down ticks elsewhere. As far as miller goes i don't think of him as a pure pass rushers ( unlike Bennett ) He is a 4-3 Outside linebacker and was in pass coverage a lot Way more than Bennett. Heck i bet he was in Pass coverage last year more than Bennett has been in his WHOLE CAREER lol.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key Stat: His 73 combined sacks, hits, and hurries were the third most in the NFL

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key Stat: His 73 combined sacks, hits, and hurries were the third most in the NFL

Bennett often plays the DT position. Much harder to put up stats from that position. Also someone that can excel at both DE and DT is a gem, very hard to find someone that can do that. For that alone he's more valuable then Avril. Like them both though, happy as heck they are both on the team and not looking forward to having to replace either.