• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really the point. A team cutting a player and eating the dead money isn't a breach of contract. It's completely within the guidelines of the contract for a team to be able to cut a player. Even this is provided for by contract with the CBA. So it's all by contract that this can happen.

On the other hand, a hold out (which hasn't happened yet) is a breach of contract, which is why teams are allowed to fine players who do not honor their contracts, and if the hold out last long enough - teams can retain the rights for the player another year as a consequence.

As for Bennett being "one of the best players in football", I very much disagree. He's good, but he's too selfish of a player (i.e. going outside the defense) to truly be great. When he re-signed, he stated that the coaching staff allowing him to do his own thing on defense was part of the reason he re-signed. But, that's just my opinion - and that matters as much as peanut butter to whether the Hawks feel he deserves a different contract.

I don't really care if Bennett holds out. The risk is all his, and potentially there is a lot of upside for the Seahawks. If he does ultimately take the Kam route, then I hope the Seahawks do the same with him as they did with Kam. I have nothing against Bennett, just as I have nothing against Kam.

The truth is that neither of those are really examples of breaching the contract. The teams face predetermined concessions (like you said, stipulated in the cba and contracts) if they terminate a contract early, and players face make predertimined concessions if they hold out or miss voluntary stuff. Unless you know that these fines teams gives players are not stipulated by CBA and contracts, and are just arbitrary numbers depending on how the team feels by the players actions? Which is not how I believe it works. Both sides are granted rights, and both sides face penalties in order to exercise them.

As far as him being "too selfish" for playing outside of the defense, he would need to be a liability because of that for me to see it as any kind of problem. Does the defense suffer for this freestyle that he plays with? Is it a liability that has cost him or the defense as a whole?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennetts Issue to me is this. In the 2014 offseason he wanted a new contract then had his worst season as a seahawks. His numbers went DOWN not up and he said he outplayed his contract. NO YOU DID NOT!

Now since then his 2015 numbers were more on the line to his 2012 numbers when he played for TB that earned him his first contract with us. If you ask me he is getting paid the correct price for his production. He is not a 15 sack guy and never has been. He is disruptive yes but a top 10 DE in the NFL he is not. He is just the perfect complement piece to pair Avril. Avril's pressures last year Gave Bennett over 3 Sacks and Look what happened when The Hawks Lost Avril in the superbowl against NE. The Defense did not look like it's self and NE got back into the game and ended up winning it because the defense couldn't stop them once AVRIL went out with injury. Now If Bennett could flush QB's to Avrils side Like Avril does then Avrils numbers would go up. He is the best Pass rusher on this team not Bennett. Just look at how often he is making the QB step up into the middle pressure. Something Bennett rarely does.

Avril it the perfect "team" player and if he was not on this team Bennett would be a 5 to 6 sack guy at best.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennetts Issue to me is this. In the 2014 offseason he wanted a new contract then had his worst season as a seahawks. His numbers went DOWN not up and he said he outplayed his contract. NO YOU DID NOT!

Now since then his 2015 numbers were more on the line to his 2012 numbers when he played for TB that earned him his first contract with us. If you ask me he is getting paid the correct price for his production. He is not a 15 sack guy and never has been. He is disruptive yes but a top 10 DE in the NFL he is not. He is just the perfect complement piece to pair Avril. Avril's pressures last year Gave Bennett over 3 Sacks and Look what happened when The Hawks Lost Avril in the superbowl against NE. The Defense did not look like it's self and NE got back into the game and ended up winning it because the defense couldn't stop them once AVRIL went out with injury. Now If Bennett could flush QB's to Avrils side Like Avril does then Avrils numbers would go up. He is the best Pass rusher on this team not Bennett. Just look at how often he is making the QB step up into the middle pressure. Something Bennett rarely does.

Avril it the perfect "team" player and if he was not on this team Bennett would be a 5 to 6 sack guy at best.
Fellow Seahawk fan, you have been down on MB for the last year. If you were in charge you would have sent him packing last year. I am convinced of that...and it is ok cuz we both root for the same outfit, but we may disagree at times.
If you focus a lot on sacks, it is possible to discredit those sacks with the idea that is someone else is creating the opportunity for MB to collect more sacks.
Bennett is a Boss. A kickass DE who I am very glad he is on our team. What I hope for is another season like last year and a short extension and a nice bonus for MB. I think that is part of the reason Marshawn's guarantee will go down as a full expense this year and off the books next year.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's pissed off about his contract and he isn't afraid to say it, but I respect him for putting the team first and contract issues second come TC time.
I too am tired of his whining. Be cool, play well, and he will get what he wants.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're only looking at sack numbers, you're missing much of Bennetts impact. Most sacks come when a QB doesn't see the pressure. So front side pass rushers, and even more so interior pass rushers (which is where Bennett is on most passing downs) don't get the same big sack numbers as back side rushers because they're in the face of the QB. And in the case of Bennett, causing a lot of errant and off target throws by disturbing the QBs timing. This is one reason why sacks can be an overrated stat.

And as far as Bennett not flushing a QB out to the left, very rarely do you see any right handed QB not named Russell Wilson flush to the left. It's physically awkward, and coaches hate it because it takes too much time to turn their body and plant their feet for a throw.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's physically awkward, and coaches hate it because it takes too much time to turn their body and plant their feet for a throw.
And it's hard to throw a good pass from that position.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's hard to throw a good pass from that position.

Exactly. That's why I said you have to stop and plant your feet. Very few righties have the athletic ability and arm strength to throw downfield when running left. They must find a receiver, stop, set their feet, then throw, all with pressure in their face.

Luckily, we have one of the only guys in the world that can do it well. But even he doesn't do it very often, and when he does does it includes some crazy pirouette in order to position his body.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too am tired of his whining. Be cool, play well, and he will get what he wants.

I agree the whining is annoying but I can deal with it cause he shows up and comes ready to play. I think next off season he gets his pay raise.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're only looking at sack numbers, you're missing much of Bennetts impact. Most sacks come when a QB doesn't see the pressure. So front side pass rushers, and even more so interior pass rushers (which is where Bennett is on most passing downs) don't get the same big sack numbers as back side rushers because they're in the face of the QB. And in the case of Bennett, causing a lot of errant and off target throws by disturbing the QBs timing. This is one reason why sacks can be an overrated stat.

And as far as Bennett not flushing a QB out to the left, very rarely do you see any right handed QB not named Russell Wilson flush to the left. It's physically awkward, and coaches hate it because it takes too much time to turn their body and plant their feet for a throw.

See this is where people are so WRONG, i am not looking at his sack numbers. I am looking at how he gets them. Case in point Avril was #7 in the NFL for Pressures in 2015 Bennett #20 i bet NONE of you knew that. Now why is Avrils Sack numbers lower than Bennett's? Because Bennett vacates his assignment to collect sacks Avril plays it like he is supposed to.

Bennett gets that freedom because he causes a lot of chaos but Avril causes even move chaos than Bennett and i am tired of people ignoring the true beast on our Dline. Bennett is good but he is well paid Avril is a beast thats all about the team and is under paid. Do you hear him crying about money? No he is a TRUE team player a a player i am proud to call a Seahawks.

Bennett could really learn a lot from Avril but Bennett thinks he is all ready better. No he is not he is just a glory hound that has hurt this team many times and lets not forget that false start on the 1/2 yardline in the superbowl. He was going for glory and was being selfish. How many times a year or to ago did he line up off sides back to back? something like 3 times?

Now after saying that i love how Bennett plays but i believe he is being paid FAIRLY and his crying about being underpaid is disrespectful to Avril. end of story.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See this is where people are so WRONG, i am not looking at his sack numbers. I am looking at how he gets them. Case in point Avril was #7 in the NFL for Pressures in 2015 Bennett #20 i bet NONE of you knew that. Now why is Avrils Sack numbers lower than Bennett's? Because Bennett vacates his assignment to collect sacks Avril plays it like he is supposed to.

Bennett gets that freedom because he causes a lot of chaos but Avril causes even move chaos than Bennett and i am tired of people ignoring the true beast on our Dline. Bennett is good but he is well paid Avril is a beast thats all about the team and is under paid. Do you hear him crying about money? No he is a TRUE team player a a player i am proud to call a Seahawks.

Bennett could really learn a lot from Avril but Bennett thinks he is all ready better. No he is not he is just a glory hound that has hurt this team many times and lets not forget that false start on the 1/2 yardline in the superbowl. He was going for glory and was being selfish. How many times a year or to ago did he line up off sides back to back? something like 3 times?

Now after saying that i love how Bennett plays but i believe he is being paid FAIRLY and his crying about being underpaid is disrespectful to Avril. end of story.

In the post I was responding to, you were talking about sacks. You mention them several times actually.

But since we're moving on to QB hurries from Sporting Charts, 2015 is the only year in their careers that Bennett has finished behind Avril in their "QB hurries" stat. And to your claim that Bennetts play in 15 was similar to his in 12, SC's stats show that Bennett was 3rd in the NFL in QB hurries that year.

Also, in 2012, the top "hurry" pass rusher had 15 hurries. The next year, there were 8 players with more than 15 hurries. Then the year after that, there were 20 players that had more than 15 hurries. Then, in 2015, there were 61 players with more than 15 hurries!!! That tells me that either pass rushers have improved exponentially over 4 years, or that stat is flawed and still in development.

And what's the difference between SC's "QB hurries" and PFF's "QB pressures"? One has him at #20, and one has him at #1.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the post I was responding to, you were talking about sacks. You mention them several times actually.

But since we're moving on to QB hurries from Sporting Charts, 2015 is the only year in their careers that Bennett has finished behind Avril in their "QB hurries" stat. And to your claim that Bennetts play in 15 was similar to his in 12, SC's stats show that Bennett was 3rd in the NFL in QB hurries that year.

Also, in 2012, the top "hurry" pass rusher had 15 hurries. The next year, there were 8 players with more than 15 hurries. Then the year after that, there were 20 players that had more than 15 hurries. Then, in 2015, there were 61 players with more than 15 hurries!!! That tells me that either pass rushers have improved exponentially over 4 years, or that stat is flawed and still in development.

And what's the difference between SC's "QB hurries" and PFF's "QB pressures"? One has him at #20, and one has him at #1.

"His numbers went DOWN not up and he said he outplayed his contract" did not say sack numbers
"Avril's pressures last year Gave Bennett over 3 Sacks" talking about what pressure does
"Now If Bennett could flush QB's to Avrils side Like Avril does then Avrils numbers would go up" talking about how PRESSURE creates for other people.

again i am focused on the BIG picture and if it was all about sacks then there is nothing to cry about BUT IT IS NOT! This is the issue, people see the sacks and think Oh Bennett is Stud. ( 10 sacks = stud? ) He does a lot that doesn't show up in the sack numbers and i know this but NO ONE does more that doesn't show up in the stats line than AVRIL! END-OF-STORY!

Bringing up sacks is just the easy way to dumb it down for those that actually do not pay attention to what other people are doing but was not the focal point.

Bennett wouldn't be anything with out Avril and Avril will create those chances for anyone else playing opposite of him. Avril makes Bennett who he is not the other way around.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"His numbers went DOWN not up and he said he outplayed his contract" did not say sack numbers
"Avril's pressures last year Gave Bennett over 3 Sacks" talking about what pressure does
"Now If Bennett could flush QB's to Avrils side Like Avril does then Avrils numbers would go up" talking about how PRESSURE creates for other people.

again i am focused on the BIG picture and if it was all about sacks then there is nothing to cry about BUT IT IS NOT! This is the issue, people see the sacks and think Oh Bennett is Stud. ( 10 sacks = stud? ) He does a lot that doesn't show up in the sack numbers and i know this but NO ONE does more that doesn't show up in the stats line than AVRIL! END-OF-STORY!

Bennett wouldn't be anything with out Avril and Avril will create those chances for anyone else playing opposite of him. Avril makes Bennett who he is not the other way around.

Sacks have nothing to do with why I personally think Bennett is good. His manhandling of blockers makes me think that.

But ok, Bennett would be nothing without Avril :rolleyes2:. Even though your own stadards of SC's QB hurries disagrees greatly with that, both as Seahawks, and as Lions/Bucs. Unless you ONLY count last year. We all saw Avril go out and Bennett remain unblockable in the SB. But how can that be if Avril is to thank for all of Bennetts success?

And really, I don't care to argue who is better. They're both very good. But this outright dismissal of Bennett if funny to me. You seem to take your own subjective opinion very seriously, and we're all just lucky to have you around.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is Bennett unblockable? he has flashes of OMG momments but he also has large stints of where is he or OMG you MORON! lol not to mention he thinks he is the best Player on the line NOT!

I don't give Bennett a free pass because of his production which is more a scheme thing. The way the hawks use their players is to allow them to do what they do best and for Bennett that is to vacate assignments to cause havoc but Avril plays solid fundamentally strong football that allows others to succeed. He is rarely out of position allowing long runs ( yeah im looking at you Bennett ) or jumping offsides or LINING UP OFFSIDES like Bennett does. Dallas a couple years ago is a game that should Haunt Bennett for a long time he single handedly cost the Hawks a win because it was all ME FIRST attitude.

Oh and BTW Bennett doesn't see many double teams, all 22 will show you the light.

2013 was the last season Bennett had more QB pressures than Avril. Avril is the best DE on this team Bennett is #2 DE but as for a Pass rushing DT he is strong, around Half his sacks came from inside.

Like i have said i like Bennett i just think he is FAIRLY PAID! The fact that he thinks he isn't is just BULLSHIT! and just proves this guys attitude sucks. Do the little things Michael and stop hurting the team and start forcing plays for others and that would make this team EVEN better and would make him an elite player.

I have been very critical of Bennett this past year and rightfully so. I started paying attention to him a LOT MORE because of it more so than i bet 90% of people that WATCH the Hawks that are not coaches, scouts or connected to the NFL/Teams. Because of this i have seen more things that make me shake my head. During the game you all are watching the play i am watching Bennett. In a way it sucks because i miss what others is doing but i can not help it. He talks so much about how he is so great my eyes go eight to him EVERY PLAY! He is not as good as people think he is. He is a good player he is not a great one.

am willing to bet Avril gets a new contract and Bennett goes into FA with out one and the Hawks wont resign him. Not because they cant but because they can get his production from someone else.

Last edited:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is Bennett unblockable? he has flashes of OMG momments but he also has large stints of where is he or OMG you MORON! lol not to mention he thinks he is the best Player on the line NOT!

I don't give Bennett a free pass because of his production which is more a scheme thing. The way the hawks use their players is to allow them to do what they do best and for Bennett that is to vacate assignments to cause havoc but Avril plays solid fundamentally strong football that allows others to succeed. He is rarely out of position allowing long runs ( yeah im looking at you Bennett ) or jumping offsides or LINING UP OFFSIDES like Bennett does. Dallas a couple years ago is a game that should Haunt Bennett for a long time he single handedly cost the Hawks a win because it was all ME FIRST attitude.

Oh and BTW Bennett doesn't see many double teams, all 22 will show you the light.

2013 was the last season Bennett had more QB pressures than Avril. Avril is the best DE on this team Bennett is #2 DE but as for a Pass rushing DT he is strong, around Half his sacks came from inside.

Like i have said i like Bennett i just think he is FAIRLY PAID! The fact that he thinks he isn't is just BULLSHIT! and just proves this guys attitude sucks. Do the little things Michael and stop hurting the team and start forcing plays for others and that would make this team EVEN better and would make him an elite player.

I have been very critical of Bennett this past year and rightfully so. I started paying attention to him a LOT MORE because of it more so than i bet 90% of people that WATCH the Hawks that are not coaches, scouts or connected to the NFL/Teams. Because of this i have seen more things that make me shake my head. During the game you all are watching the play i am watching Bennett. In a way it sucks because i miss what others is doing but i can not help it. He talks so much about how he is so great my eyes go eight to him EVERY PLAY! He is not as good as people think he is. He is a good player he is not a great one.

am willing to bet Avril gets a new contract and Bennett goes into FA with out one and the Hawks wont resign him. Not because they cant but because they can get his production from someone else.

Buddy, you wont be able to convince me that MB is not extremely important to our D. I bet I am unable to get you to see that Bennett is extremely important to our D. His job is usually to attack the QB, just as it is usually Avril's job to do the same. I don't care which one gets or pressures the QB, as long as it happens.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buddy, you wont be able to convince me that MB is not extremely important to our D. I bet I am unable to get you to see that Bennett is extremely important to our D. His job is usually to attack the QB, just as it is usually Avril's job to do the same. I don't care which one gets or pressures the QB, as long as it happens.

Never said he wasn't important but that is more because of his versatility ( playing inside ). They don't have another player that can rush up the middle as good as Bennett BUT you ever notice they normally put him beside Avril when they move him inside? They are saying pick your poison to the offense. Can't double team both of them on the same side. He is important but Avril is EVERY bit as important and for Bennetts success even more so. With out Avril Bennett doesn't have the same success. Irvin played DE at like 40% of Bennetts snaps from DE and had half the sacks Bennett did. Meaning if he had as many snaps there he very well would have matched and most like BEAT his numbers. Avril will allow strong production on who ever they put there. He doesn't get the respect he deservers. Heck i even remember a team talking about Avril as the one they were worried about. Can't remember if that was last year or the year before.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like confidence but there is confidence and egotistical.

"I'm feeling really defensive MVP-ish right now, the way I've been training, the way that my body feels," Bennett said before hosting an event for his foundation, which focuses on raising awareness for childhood obesity. "I think I've definitely got a chance to be up there with the top guys, to be one of the top defensive players in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if I was defensive MVP."

No Bennett you are not a top five defensive player in the NFL not even the top defensive player on this team, I put Thomas, Kam and Sherman before you and i even put Avril ahead of you. Bobby and KJ are right there with you also. JMO

Now if he can improve enough to be in the conversation of Defensive MVP i will be STOKED!

Last edited: