• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bennett Situation

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like and at the same time don't like Bennett.

Fuck these players that feel that $6 million is not enough and they are being screwed.
Now he makes $10+ million, and I guess he will BITCH soon about being underpaid. FU.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Seahawk Fans, addition by subtraction.
For non- Seahawk fans, don't care about you. lol.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, as petty and greedy as it sounds to us mere mortals when players complain about making "x" millions of dollars instead of "y" millions of dollars, you have to think more in terms of what the players get paid vs. how much money the league/owners make than in terms of what we non-athletes get paid vs. how much athletes get paid. I just read that every team combined is worth a little under $63 billion right now. That averages out to just under $2 billion per team. That's not even taking into account the net worth of the combined owners of the teams, which is considerably north of $63 billion. Hell, Paul Allen alone is worth a little over one-third of the net worth of all 32 franchises combined. Obviously, because of the salary cap, teams can't spend anywhere near what they're each worth, but you can understand why the players would take a look at what each team is worth and want to get as much of that as they can. They're the ones out there on the field doing the most to increase the value of each franchise and I can't blame them for wanting to be paid accordingly.

Everyone, regardless of the occupation, wants to be paid what they think they're worth and if they think they aren't and they're aware that their employers can easily afford it, of course they're doing to demand higher wages. Just because some people have jobs that pay in the millions and 10's of millions a year and others have jobs that pay in the 10's and hundreds of thousands a year doesn't mean that the ones making the millions and 10's of millions don't have the right to complain about it when they feel they're worth more than they're getting and the company they work for has the means to pay them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, as petty and greedy as it sounds to us mere mortals when players complain about making "x" millions of dollars instead of "y" millions of dollars, you have to think more in terms of what the players get paid vs. how much money the league/owners make than in terms of what we non-athletes get paid vs. how much athletes get paid. I just read that every team combined is worth a little under $63 billion right now. That averages out to just under $2 billion per team. That's not even taking into account the net worth of the combined owners of the teams, which is considerably north of $63 billion. Hell, Paul Allen alone is worth a little over one-third of the net worth of all 32 franchises combined. Obviously, because of the salary cap, teams can't spend anywhere near what they're each worth, but you can understand why the players would take a look at what each team is worth and want to get as much of that as they can. They're the ones out there on the field doing the most to increase the value of each franchise and I can't blame them for wanting to be paid accordingly.

Everyone, regardless of the occupation, wants to be paid what they think they're worth and if they think they aren't and they're aware that their employers can easily afford it, of course they're doing to demand higher wages. Just because some people have jobs that pay in the millions and 10's of millions a year and others have jobs that pay in the 10's and hundreds of thousands a year doesn't mean that the ones making the millions and 10's of millions don't have the right to complain about it when they feel they're worth more than they're getting and the company they work for has the means to pay them.

As someone who has to negotiate his own salary, I have no problem with players going for the money. Get it while you can and hope you don’t get sacked when you get older and you start looking over paid.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad the Hawks got rid of 'this situation'.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Bennett's lawyer is of course saying that he didn't do it and even "never touched her", which probably just means they're confident there is no video evidence. Lack of conclusive video evidence means the law's case is solely dependent on witness accounts, which is going to make a "beyond a reasonable doubt" burden tough meet....which is probably why it took so long for an indictment. I am guessing he pleads down to a lesser charge and this thing goes away. Doesn't mean the league can't or won't take some sort of punitive action though. They'll probably wait a while to see what becomes of the legal matter and then issue a short suspension, just my early hunch.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Bennett's lawyer is of course saying that he didn't do it and even "never touched her", which probably just means they're confident there is no video evidence. Lack of conclusive video evidence means the law's case is solely dependent on witness accounts, which is going to make a "beyond a reasonable doubt" burden tough meet....which is probably why it took so long for an indictment. I am guessing he pleads down to a lesser charge and this thing goes away. Doesn't mean the league can't or won't take some sort of punitive action though. They'll probably wait a while to see what becomes of the legal matter and then issue a short suspension, just my early hunch.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. Honestly, with the amount of time it took to bring these charges, I wonder if this a a prosecutor that is trying to get some fame before running for governor or some other political office? It just reeks of grand standing. That being said, if Bennett did do what they said, then good riddance.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What'd I tell you guys before about Texas DA's and cops?

Don't rush to judgment.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What'd I tell you guys before about Texas DA's and cops?

Don't rush to judgment.

You use that same statement regulary... You're bound to be right one of these times... ;-)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You use that same statement regulary... You're bound to be right one of these times... ;-)

I was right the last time. Boykin's charges (in that case) WERE dropped.

The incident he got cut for was something completely different. :)

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with your assessment. Honestly, with the amount of time it took to bring these charges, I wonder if this a a prosecutor that is trying to get some fame before running for governor or some other political office? It just reeks of grand standing. That being said, if Bennett did do what they said, then good riddance.
Well, you gotta get both the victim and the witnesses to cooperate in a case like this. Convincing them to do that after tracking them all down takes some time. I have a life long friend who I grew up with who is a lawyer and is not all that surprised that it took a year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad that so many of you see Bennett for what he is and what i saw 2 years ago. I feel so vindicated now after the "hate" some of you through on me saying it was a "personal issue" i had with him when in fact it wasn't. I just saw him for who he was a lot sooner than most is all. I am the happiest person in town and had this happened 2 years ago we would have his replacement all ready on the team and might have been able to keep Sheldon.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
glad that so many of you see Bennett for what he is and what i saw 2 years ago. I feel so vindicated now after the "hate" some of you through on me saying it was a "personal issue" i had with him when in fact it wasn't. I just saw him for who he was a lot sooner than most is all. I am the happiest person in town and had this happened 2 years ago we would have his replacement all ready on the team and might have been able to keep Sheldon.
I'm not trying to stop you from patting yourself on the back, but he crossed a line with me with the politics on the field stuff. He wasn't doing that 2 years ago. Back then he was just a goofball who got flagged a lot for off-side. There wasn't much evidence that he was a bad guy until this past season.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to stop you from patting yourself on the back, but he crossed a line with me with the politics on the field stuff. He wasn't doing that 2 years ago. Back then he was just a goofball who got flagged a lot for off-side. There wasn't much evidence that he was a bad guy until this past season.

I agree. I really never saw Bennett as that big of an issue in the past. Sure he got a little mouthy on the sideline (so did Sherman/Thomas, even Russell ghosted Bevell one time) but I accept that as frustration from a team that was dominant defensively and a Super Bowl winner a couple years back. His penalties were ridiculous but so are Von Miller's. Both are disruptive and for every penalty there are a lot of disrupted plays that go unnoticed (hits/hurries/stuffed runs - all of which he did well, etc.)

I really got fed up with him when a) the politics shit started and his stupid book (all last year I believe), and b) that bullshit cheap shot at the end of last season by literally trying to end someone's career. Most of all, he's 32 and seeing the end of his best days, so in addition to his bullshit I was all for releasing him. If he was 28-29, would I put up with this to keep him? Probably... I've said that on NFL general board before.

This particular story makes me facepalm but at the same time he ALLEGEDLY and has not been convicted yet... innocent until proven guilty and there's no video of exactly what/how it happened.

That said, I find the story as a whole hilarious for 2 reasons:

1) Why the fuck is a paraplegic on security detail for the Super Bowl?
2) Most articles say he was trying to 'celebrate' with his brother. Celebrate what? A loss in the Super Bowl? LOL

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I really never saw Bennett as that big of an issue in the past. Sure he got a little mouthy on the sideline (so did Sherman/Thomas, even Russell ghosted Bevell one time) but I accept that as frustration from a team that was dominant defensively and a Super Bowl winner a couple years back. His penalties were ridiculous but so are Von Miller's. Both are disruptive and for every penalty there are a lot of disrupted plays that go unnoticed (hits/hurries/stuffed runs - all of which he did well, etc.)

I really got fed up with him when a) the politics shit started and his stupid book (all last year I believe), and b) that bullshit cheap shot at the end of last season by literally trying to end someone's career. Most of all, he's 32 and seeing the end of his best days, so in addition to his bullshit I was all for releasing him. If he was 28-29, would I put up with this to keep him? Probably... I've said that on NFL general board before.

This particular story makes me facepalm but at the same time he ALLEGEDLY and has not been convicted yet... innocent until proven guilty and there's no video of exactly what/how it happened.

Yep, it's like the crazy/hot scale with chicks. Bennett is no longer hot enough to put up with all the crazy.

Well, it's not like part of a stadium security person's job is to physically restrain people. How many of them that were working the game could have stopped Bennett physically anyway? Guessing zero. Just imagine the headlines if a disabled person wasn't allowed to work the game purely on the basis of being disabled. We would probably have some sort of march on Washington about it.

2) Most articles say he was trying to 'celebrate' with his brother. Celebrate what? A loss in the Super Bowl? LOL
This happened in 2017...which is when his brother won over Atlanta as a member of the Patriots, right?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this happened in the Pat's come back win over Atlanta but I could be wrong.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this happened in the Pat's come back win over Atlanta but I could be wrong.

oh maybe, that'd make sense... but I'll just erase my previous #2 and replace it with this #2: Why the fuck is this coming up 1 1/2 years later? Did he put the paraplegic in a coma or something and that person just woke up and was like, "HEY MICHAEL BENNETT PUSHED ME!?"