• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka to the Yankees!

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only was this a huge overpay, the Yankees also gave Tanaka an opt out after 4 years. Desperate teams do desperate things. Paying $22-23 mil per year over 7 years for a high end #2 with the option to opt out after 4 years is insane.

He's only a high end #2 if everything goes right too, that's his sky. Some think he could just be an average #3 you never know. In baseball with no salary cap I guess it doesn't matter for a team like the yankees though. They'll continue to make mistakes and spend without consequence. Baseball is very unfair to smaller market teams, I'm surprised there isn't a cap yet. Thats the only reason the yankees have won so much

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 will be remembered as the beginning of the end of major league baseball. The Yankees now have more than a half billion dollars in guaranteed contracts. As someone previously noted, half of the MLB teams aren't worth that much money. Many of MLB teams are financed by the luxury tax and the Yankees are basically financing a group of teams that would never ever be able to compete, basically stay in business without that luxury tax.

Attendance over the past few years has fallen off with teams like Miami, Tampa and Milwaukee barely getting enough fans on a Wednesday game to pay for the field lights at night. Teams like San Diego have offered free tickets and no one wants them.

Within 20 years, MLB will have 10 maybe 12 teams. The remainder will have folded. The owners would rather take the tax loss than sell the team for a loss.

The Yankees got America excited about baseball and literally created major league baseball stadiums. The Yankees made free agency work because they were willing to make players rich and then millionaires. The Yankees have shown the rest of the baseball world that they have an unlimited money resources in their fans who are more than willing to spend $12 on a hot dog and $20 on a 12 oz Bud Lite. The Yankees will be the death of Major League Baseball.

If that is the case ....why not be the last team to win the world series before it goes under.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he really 25? He looks like he's pushing 35 lol

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, the Baseball Birther movement is born.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Guilty until proven innocent?

:L

Puig's birth certificate
A_VZxerCUAAViHK.jpg:large

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scary contract imo. arm injury away from being screwed

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, the Baseball Birther movement is born.

It seems as if we baseball fans can not tolerate someone "coming from nowhere" anymore. If and when they do, it seems like there is an immediate suspicion of some sort of guilt, be it age, PED's or something else.

Innocent until proven guilty folks, as just because the last 999 guys did something, it does not 100% mean that Mr. 1,000 is also guilty. Judge on merits and what you know, not what you suspect, and maybe even hope to be true.......

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees never had a choice but to go all the way on this guy.

Sure they did. I'd have gone after Matt Garza instead. I'd have given up what the Rays wanted for David Price & given him the money. There are always other options out their. Tanaka has never made a pitch in MLB. We'll see if he's anywhere near as good as Darvish is soon enough.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they did. I'd have gone after Matt Garza instead. I'd have given up what the Rays wanted for David Price & given him the money. There are always other options out their. Tanaka has never made a pitch in MLB. We'll see if he's anywhere near as good as Darvish is soon enough.

What did the rays want for price?? Its easy to say you would go for the other choices... but when the only risk is money, a team like the yankees will make it... especially when the rewards is a potential young stud...

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A) The Yankees aren't interested in Garza, E. Santana, or Jimenez and they never have been, they've scouted Tanaka for almost a full year (in person) and they rate Tanaka as a better starter than any of them and so do most scouts.

B) They don't have the prospects to land Chase Headley, much less David Price.

The lack of organizational depth forced their hand, they have Michael Pineda and David Phelps and a bunch of prayers in the system as far as pitching goes.