• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka to the Yankees!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now New Yorkers can look forward to $50 parking and $17 beers at the games.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the yankees overspend??? absolutely, but the Yankees needed pitching, and more importantly they needed a young arm...

As i said foreign pitcher signing is way different than anything else... Its a free market for a top prospect...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free market might not be the right term... all i mean is that instead of drafting a top prospect, the team signs him... I just wonder how much a player like archie Bradley would have made if he was a foreign player!!!

mike hunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the yankees overspend??? absolutely, but the Yankees needed pitching, and more importantly they needed a young arm...

As i said foreign pitcher signing is way different than anything else... Its a free market for a top prospect...

Yanks need to develop their own pitching, track record has been pretty bad at that for a while now..

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw's contract looks like a bargain now, high risk for Yanks but with there lack of talent at the minor league level they had to do it..
Deal works out too 25 million a year with the posting fee, ouch.
Yanks and there fans can thank Selig for the arod bailout of 211 games, how does Braun only get 50 and arod 211..

Did they?

I would have rather signed a Bronson Arroyo type to get me through the season and wait for a stud pitcher to hit the market instead of going all in on the mystery box.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they?

I would have rather signed a Bronson Arroyo type to get me through the season and wait for a stud pitcher to hit the market instead of going all in on the mystery box.

Tanaka has more upside than any of the FA pitchers. Teams view Tanaka as a top end starter.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka has more upside than any of the FA pitchers. Teams view Tanaka as a top end starter.

My point wasn't that I think Bronson Arroyo is going to win the 2014 AL Cy Young. It's that he's a cheap bridge until a true stud pitcher comes along via free agency. The Yankees just spent stud pitcher money on a guy who has never thrown a big league pitch and they're on the hook if he stinks up Yankee Stadium worse then the greasy Italians who go their games.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 will be remembered as the beginning of the end of major league baseball. The Yankees now have more than a half billion dollars in guaranteed contracts. As someone previously noted, half of the MLB teams aren't worth that much money. Many of MLB teams are financed by the luxury tax and the Yankees are basically financing a group of teams that would never ever be able to compete, basically stay in business without that luxury tax.

Attendance over the past few years has fallen off with teams like Miami, Tampa and Milwaukee barely getting enough fans on a Wednesday game to pay for the field lights at night. Teams like San Diego have offered free tickets and no one wants them.

Within 20 years, MLB will have 10 maybe 12 teams. The remainder will have folded. The owners would rather take the tax loss than sell the team for a loss.

The Yankees got America excited about baseball and literally created major league baseball stadiums. The Yankees made free agency work because they were willing to make players rich and then millionaires. The Yankees have shown the rest of the baseball world that they have an unlimited money resources in their fans who are more than willing to spend $12 on a hot dog and $20 on a 12 oz Bud Lite. The Yankees will be the death of Major League Baseball.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much called this deal but I figured the cubs would make the winning bid. I guessed that the offer would have to be around 6/140 with a player option for a 7th year. I am guessing the Yankees won because they were willing to give the extra year. Best of luck to the guy but by no means is he worth that kind of money.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen him rated as low as a #3 even.

Yes. I've read a few scouting reports that reflect that as well. I was just saying that most reports I read over the last month indicate his ceiling as a high end #2. But we won't truly know till he gets on the mound & pitches through a season. It's just a big gamble & a huge overpay in my opinion. Add in the opt out & no-trade clause, this just reeks of desperation.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees got America excited about baseball and literally created major league baseball stadiums. The Yankees made free agency work because they were willing to make players rich and then millionaires. The Yankees have shown the rest of the baseball world that they have an unlimited money resources in their fans who are more than willing to spend $12 on a hot dog and $20 on a 12 oz Bud Lite. The Yankees will be the death of Major League Baseball.

Did I miss something??

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much called this deal but I figured the cubs would make the winning bid. I guessed that the offer would have to be around 6/140 with a player option for a 7th year. I am guessing the Yankees won because they were willing to give the extra year. Best of luck to the guy but by no means is he worth that kind of money.

Reports were the cubs went 7/160, probably didnt give him the opt out and no way tanaka was gonna be part of a rebuild.

They say he wanted the challenge of breaking the 100 plus year drought? do you really think a Japanese player cares about that?

Good for the yankees. Get back on top of those damned red sux. I can take the yankees winning, not boston.

as far as the scouting reports, probably from writers for teams that were not even considering bidding.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I miss something??

At the time it was built, Yankee Stadium was the biggest sports stadium in the world and redefined the way stadiums were designed and built.