• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka to the Yankees!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as the scouting reports, probably from writers for teams that were not even considering bidding.

I don't think so.

Despite those gaudy numbers, Tanaka is seen by most scouts and evaluators as a No. 2 type of starter in the Major Leagues. While many will be quick to compare him to countryman Yu Darvish, Tanaka is not said to carry that level of upside.

From MLBTR Yankees Sign Masahiro Tanaka

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the beauty of not knowing what other teams bid. The Yankees gave an unknown quantity a huge contract. We'll see how it works out, but I'd much rather have a player with a major league track record for that kind of dough.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shocker the Red Sox fan is nick picking the Yankee fan's post

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BemwKbUCAAApsXz.jpg

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the beauty of not knowing what other teams bid. The Yankees gave an unknown quantity a huge contract. We'll see how it works out, but I'd much rather have a player with a major league track record for that kind of dough.

yes bc the teams we root for do not have infinite amounts of money...who cares if they overpaid or not...a contract of this size does not hurt the Yanks and only helps the lesser teams with more luxury tax money

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes bc the teams we root for do not have infinite amounts of money...who cares if they overpaid or not...a contract of this size does not hurt the Yanks and only helps the lesser teams with more luxury tax money

I don't care about the luxury tax money. I doubt my team will spend it anyway. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a player who has zero MLB experience.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 will be remembered as the beginning of the end of major league baseball. The Yankees now have more than a half billion dollars in guaranteed contracts. As someone previously noted, half of the MLB teams aren't worth that much money. Many of MLB teams are financed by the luxury tax and the Yankees are basically financing a group of teams that would never ever be able to compete, basically stay in business without that luxury tax.

Attendance over the past few years has fallen off with teams like Miami, Tampa and Milwaukee barely getting enough fans on a Wednesday game to pay for the field lights at night. Teams like San Diego have offered free tickets and no one wants them.

Within 20 years, MLB will have 10 maybe 12 teams. The remainder will have folded. The owners would rather take the tax loss than sell the team for a loss.

The Yankees got America excited about baseball and literally created major league baseball stadiums. The Yankees made free agency work because they were willing to make players rich and then millionaires. The Yankees have shown the rest of the baseball world that they have an unlimited money resources in their fans who are more than willing to spend $12 on a hot dog and $20 on a 12 oz Bud Lite. The Yankees will be the death of Major League Baseball.

Sadly count me as one who thinks this post will end up more fact than fiction.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Related -

How long will it take now for the other pitching dominos to fall? Now that Tanaka is done, guys like Ubaldo Jimenez & Ervin Santana I think will now sign sooner than later, as guys like this, and Matt Garza, I think have all been waiting for this to start taking deals that have been sent their way seriously.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about the luxury tax money. I doubt my team will spend it anyway. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a player who has zero MLB experience.

it doesnt go to other teams

Money raised through the luxury tax is set aside for industry development — not revenue sharing, as is commonly thought. It is distributed as such: the first $2.5 million is reserved for potential refunds, and then 75% is given to fund player benefits and 25% goes to the Industry Growth Fun:suds:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Related -

How long will it take now for the other pitching dominos to fall? Now that Tanaka is done, guys like Ubaldo Jimenez & Ervin Santana I think will now sign sooner than later, as guys like this, and Matt Garza, I think have all been waiting for this to start taking deals that have been sent their way seriously.

It depends on how stupid other teams are. The only pitcher of the three that should garner a lot of interest in Garza. The other two are inconsistant.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly count me as one who thinks this post will end up more fact than fiction.

All comes down to how these new TV contracts work out As long as TV pays for baseball it will be fine:suds:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's two incredibly stupid 7-year contracts in one offseason. Yet, they let the best player on the market walk because of contract length. I'd like to know what the 2nd highest bid was. I have a feeling it was no more than 5 years, $90M.

Arizona was offering 6 years/115 million and I doubt we were the second leading offer...

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think baseball is going anywhere.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's going anywhere either, but at some point the owners have to get their heads out of their asses & realize players salaries are INSANE!!

I still want both a salary ceiling and floor, but understand it would be difficult if not impossible to sell to the players union and pull off.

It does not stop me from wanting it though.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's going anywhere either, but at some point the owners have to get their heads out of their asses & realize players salaries are INSANE!!

the average salary in baseball is around $3.5 million. it is just the high end contracts that get out of hand at times.

in comparison somebody posted on this site that Roger Goodell is making almost $30 million. Tom Cruise was making $30 million a movie ten years ago. and don't even start on what most CEOs make.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Astros, Dodgers, D'Backs, Yankees,Cubs, and White Sox were all willing to pay this guy over $20+ mil per year. And all see him as a top end starter.

I think if it was next year, the Red Sox would have been heavily in this as well. Right now they didn't need a SP. The Rangers would have if not for signing Choo.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, is it really insane?? if the businesses can afford it then how is it insane?? it is not like these teams are losing money!!! the problem is not how much players make it is the discrepency in how much teams make... The dodgers and Yankees have an unfair advantage with what they make in tv...