• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka to the Yankees!

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to the first Davish vs Tanaka game!

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did. Was just really giving props to Cashman for working his ass off this off season.

How has he worked his ass off? He's grossly overpaid for two players, let his franchise player walk avoidably, and his farm system remains barren. McCann and Beltran were decent signings, but were also obvious and almost foregone conclusions (especially McCann). He still has no third baseman, his signings for 2nd are questionable (I actually like Kelly Johnson but not sure if he can handle 2B every day), and his shortstop is incapable of playing shortstop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to get off track with Tanaka, and I believe I asked this before, but why was there almost no attempt made to bring back Granderson? I know they gave him a qualifying offer but it must have not been all that great and after that they seemed content with letting him walk.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How has he worked his ass off? He's grossly overpaid for two players, let his franchise player walk avoidably, and his farm system remains barren. McCann and Beltran were decent signings, but were also obvious and almost foregone conclusions (especially McCann). He still has no third baseman, his signings for 2nd are questionable (I actually like Kelly Johnson but not sure if he can handle 2B every day), and his shortstop is incapable of playing shortstop.

Do you see how you have a problem with everything. That will remain a constant no matter what the Yankees do.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you see how you have a problem with everything. That will remain a constant no matter what the Yankees do.

No, it certainly won't. I was extremely happy with the Yankees' performance last season, and had high hopes for this offseason. And at the end of the day, I wanted Tanaka. But I think he could been had without making such a bone-headed offer. And I am happy about the McCann and Beltran signings. Sorry I'm capable of being objective about my own team. And, needless to say, Ellsbury is one of the worst signings Cashman has ever made, and it drove up the cost to re-sign Cano, which should have been priority #1.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to get off track with Tanaka, and I believe I asked this before, but why was there almost no attempt made to bring back Granderson? I know they gave him a qualifying offer but it must have not been all that great and after that they seemed content with letting him walk.

They didn't want him back at anymore more than a 1 yr deal. His defense isn't that good and he strikes out way too much.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a very limited player at this stage in his career. He doesn't get on base enough, strikes out to much, is easily neutralized by quality pitching, is mediocre at best defensively, and no longer is a threat on the bases. He's a good clubhouse guy and a solid player, but his worth to the Yankees isn't what it was to other teams- like the Mets, who should be happy to have him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it certainly won't. I was extremely happy with the Yankees' performance last season, and had high hopes for this offseason. And at the end of the day, I wanted Tanaka. But I think he could been had without making such a bone-headed offer. And I am happy about the McCann and Beltran signings. Sorry I'm capable of being objective about my own team. And, needless to say, Ellsbury is one of the worst signings Cashman has ever made, and it drove up the cost to re-sign Cano, which should have been priority #1.

Did you read somewhere that the ellsbury signing drove up the cost for cano... I do not believe that at all... I think Seattle wanted him, and they knew for them to get him they had to give him a crazy contract...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a very limited player at this stage in his career. He doesn't get on base enough, strikes out to much, is easily neutralized by quality pitching, is mediocre at best defensively, and no longer is a threat on the bases. He's a good clubhouse guy and a solid player, but his worth to the Yankees isn't what it was to other teams- like the Mets, who should be happy to have him.

I think it is more than even that... I think they were tired of low BA guys in the playoffs... Yankees always expect to be in the playoffs... And i think that the Yankees wanted to go with better all around hitters this season, especially to limit the possibility of such playoff struggles as the yankee offense has had in recent seasons...

Also i think they saw the free agent wire and saw that they liked a lot of players...

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only was this a huge overpay, the Yankees also gave Tanaka an opt out after 4 years. Desperate teams do desperate things. Paying $22-23 mil per year over 7 years for a high end #2 with the option to opt out after 4 years is insane.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
‏@BryanHoch 6m
The Yankees may have not had the highest bid for Tanaka. Chose NYY anyway. Source says "I think he really decided he wanted to be a Yankee."

LOL @ other team fans talking about overspending, if your team got him you would be talking about the potential ace you just got.

Fact is this is what the market was dictating, there were 5 teams that were willing to pay Tanaka over $20 mil per year. To get Tanaka you were going to have to pay big, thank the new posting system.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time anyone saw a Japanese pitcher come over to the MLB and win ballgames right outta the gate?

T-Rex loses more than he wins in his 1st ten games in my OP.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said before, this just makes Ranger vs Yankee games even more interesting and exciting to me...cant wait for that first Darvish vs Tanaka game!

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time anyone saw a Japanese pitcher come over to the MLB and win ballgames right outta the gate?

T-Rex loses more than he wins in his 1st ten games in my OP.

ummmmm.....have you heard of Yu Darvish?

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ other team fans talking about overspending, if your team got him you would be talking about the potential ace you just got.

Fact is this is what the market was dictating, there were 5 teams that were willing to pay Tanaka over $20 mil per year. To get Tanaka you were going to have to pay big, thank the new posting system.

It looks like plenty of Yankee fans are talking about overspending too and for good reason.

They DID overspend. They spend an obscene amount on a minor leaguer who has never thrown a pitch in the big leagues. I criticized the Dodgers for overspending on Kershaw but at least they got a two time Cy Young winner for their money. No one even knows what the Yankees will get but it's probably not going to be the next Clayton Kershaw.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:

Wrong. I was fine with the 6 @ $120 mil that was rumored to be the Dbacks' offer, but anything more than that would be detrimental to the team in the long run. Adding more money, another year, & an opt out is just desperate. Tanaka is not an ace, he has the potential to be a highend #2.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong. I was fine with the 6 @ $120 mil that was rumored to be the Dbacks' offer, but anything more than that would be detrimental to the team in the long run. Adding more money, another year, & an opt out is just desperate. Tanaka is not an ace, he has the potential to be a highend #2.

Nobody knows what he will turn out to be yet. He was a VERY good Japanese league pitcher. That's all anyone knows right now. Plus if any team had a 25 year old pitcher putting up those numbers at AAA he would have been in the Bigs long ago and that team would have been very excited about him.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong. I was fine with the 6 @ $120 mil that was rumored to be the Dbacks' offer, but anything more than that would be detrimental to the team in the long run. Adding more money, another year, & an opt out is just desperate. Tanaka is not ace, he has the potential to be a highend #2.

Like 1 yr is really going to make it detrimental, maybe it does for a team like the D'backs. But for the Yankees, that is nonsense. I rather them offer the extra year and a little more per year to make sure they get their man then to lose him. This was their top priority all offseason.

And according to you who lost Tanaka, he doesn't have ace potential. But other teams don't see that. How many pitchers come out of Japan with a 1.27 ERA, hes done that twice. Even if hes a high end #2, I would take that. He'll have his followers from Japan and the Yankees will boost their ratings which in returns will boost their revenue.

mike hunt

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw's contract looks like a bargain now, high risk for Yanks but with there lack of talent at the minor league level they had to do it..
Deal works out too 25 million a year with the posting fee, ouch.
Yanks and there fans can thank Selig for the arod bailout of 211 games, how does Braun only get 50 and arod 211..