• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka to the Yankees!

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A) The Yankees aren't interested in Garza, E. Santana, or Jimenez and they never have been, they've scouted Tanaka for almost a full year (in person) and they rate Tanaka as a better starter than any of them and so do most scouts.

B) They don't have the prospects to land Chase Headley, much less David Price.

The lack of organizational depth forced their hand, they have Michael Pineda and David Phelps and a bunch of prayers in the system as far as pitching goes.

I wouldn't have any interest in Santana or Jimenez either. I said Garza. I realize the system is bare, but there has to be somebody. I mean this is the Yankees. It's not like they haven't had any draft picks in the past 5 years.

For the sake of Yankees fans I hope the scouts who watched Tanaka all year weren't the same idiots who told management to trade for Irabu.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have any interest in Santana or Jimenez either. I said Garza. I realize the system is bare, but there has to be somebody. I mean this is the Yankees. It's not like they haven't had any draft picks in the past 5 years.

For the sake of Yankees fans I hope the scouts who watched Tanaka all year weren't the same idiots who told management to trade for Irabu.

Cashman is on ESPN Radio New York right now and he stated that the scouts were not the same who scouted Igawa (much less Irabu), he admitted those evaluations were "flawed", and they hired an outside Japanese company run by an American to give them scouting reports as well to compare side by side with their own.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cashman is on ESPN Radio New York right now and he stated that the scouts were not the same who scouted Igawa (much less Irabu), he admitted those evaluations were "flawed", and they hired an outside Japanese company run by an American to give them scouting reports as well to compare side by side with their own.

Well that's good news for Yankees fans. Now have they added any new scouts for the draft because obviously the previous guys aren't getting it done?

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's pretty clear that Tanaka is a MUCH better pitcher than Irabu and Igawa, they aren't even comparable. Just because hes Japanese doesn't mean he is comparable. Hes one of the most dominant Japanese pitchers I have seen. How many of them have a 1.27 ERA in a season? Let alone have that 2 out of the last 3 seasons?

The Yankees will make revenue on this signing and they didn't have interest in signing a overpriced middle of the rotation starter, scouts believe this guy can be a difference maker.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's good news for Yankees fans. Now have they added any new scouts for the draft because obviously the previous guys aren't getting it done?

There are a lot of people in the player development portion of the organization who aren't getting it done.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty clear that Tanaka is a MUCH better pitcher than Irabu and Igawa, they aren't even comparable. Just because hes Japanese doesn't mean he is comparable. Hes one of the most dominant Japanese pitchers I have seen. How many of them have a 1.27 ERA in a season? Let alone have that 2 out of the last 3 seasons?

The Yankees will make revenue on this signing and they didn't have interest in signing a overpriced middle of the rotation starter, scouts believe this guy can be a difference maker.

I have no doubt the Yankees will make money on signing Tanaka. He'll have people from Japan following his every move. Of course all that matters is how he pitches.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of people in the player development portion of the organization who aren't getting it done.

Have they lost a lot of scouts in the past decade or so to other teams? I know the Cubs have raided the Padres as much as possible. Theo isn't very thankful to the organization that gave him his first shot.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have they lost a lot of scouts in the past decade or so to other teams? I know the Cubs have raided the Padres as much as possible. Theo isn't very thankful to the organization that gave him his first shot.

I'm not really up on who their scouts are or where they come from/have gone.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read somewhere that the ellsbury signing drove up the cost for cano... I do not believe that at all... I think Seattle wanted him, and they knew for them to get him they had to give him a crazy contract...

It's common sense if you understand how the free agent market works. The Yankees offered Cano 7 years and $175M, and then signed a vastly inferior player to 7 years and $153M. That drove up Cano's fair market value considerably. I don't blame them for not wanting to go to 10 years, but after the Ellsbury deal, they should have increased their offer to at least 8 years, $200M at least.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now New Yorkers can look forward to $50 parking and $17 beers at the games.

Player contracts have nothing whatsoever to do with the cost of concessions, parking or tickets. If the Yankees can get away with charging those prices, then they'll do it, whether their payroll is $220 million or $20 million. The cost to attend games is based on the absolute maximum the club can get away with charging. Player salaries actually follow revenue, not the other way around.

Nyfan1980

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Law says that Tanaka will be a top 20-25 SP in 2014 and be elite.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is more than even that... I think they were tired of low BA guys in the playoffs... Yankees always expect to be in the playoffs... And i think that the Yankees wanted to go with better all around hitters this season, especially to limit the possibility of such playoff struggles as the yankee offense has had in recent seasons...

Also i think they saw the free agent wire and saw that they liked a lot of players...

I can assure you that the Yankees make no decisions based on batting average.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's common sense if you understand how the free agent market works. The Yankees offered Cano 7 years and $175M, and then signed a vastly inferior player to 7 years and $153M. That drove up Cano's fair market value considerably. I don't blame them for not wanting to go to 10 years, but after the Ellsbury deal, they should have increased their offer to at least 8 years, $200M at least.

Its also common sense that if a team like seattle wants a player they have to pay significantly more than the "better" places to go... If seattle wants a big player they need to go for it with a crazy offer... I really dont believe that ellsbury had anything to do with seattle's offer...

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like plenty of Yankee fans are talking about overspending too and for good reason.

They DID overspend. They spend an obscene amount on a minor leaguer who has never thrown a pitch in the big leagues. I criticized the Dodgers for overspending on Kershaw but at least they got a two time Cy Young winner for their money. No one even knows what the Yankees will get but it's probably not going to be the next Clayton Kershaw.

Um... the Dodgers overspent on Kershaw? When did this happen? Did they give him another extension on top of the perfectly reasonable contract they gave him last week, and I didn't hear about it?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matsuzaka and Nomo started off well too.

I'm sure there are others.

Matsuzaka started off mediocre, then had one decent 4/5 of a season, then went to shit. Nomo was legit right out of the gate, then the league caught up to him. Kuroda is the one pitcher who's been consistent right from the start, and he's actually gotten better the longer he's been in the league. Darvish looks like the real deal, but even he struggled in his first season.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 will be remembered as the beginning of the end of major league baseball. The Yankees now have more than a half billion dollars in guaranteed contracts. As someone previously noted, half of the MLB teams aren't worth that much money. Many of MLB teams are financed by the luxury tax and the Yankees are basically financing a group of teams that would never ever be able to compete, basically stay in business without that luxury tax.

Attendance over the past few years has fallen off with teams like Miami, Tampa and Milwaukee barely getting enough fans on a Wednesday game to pay for the field lights at night. Teams like San Diego have offered free tickets and no one wants them.

Within 20 years, MLB will have 10 maybe 12 teams. The remainder will have folded. The owners would rather take the tax loss than sell the team for a loss.

The Yankees got America excited about baseball and literally created major league baseball stadiums. The Yankees made free agency work because they were willing to make players rich and then millionaires. The Yankees have shown the rest of the baseball world that they have an unlimited money resources in their fans who are more than willing to spend $12 on a hot dog and $20 on a 12 oz Bud Lite. The Yankees will be the death of Major League Baseball.

Can there be a Smiley for snoring? Because that's what this post makes me want to do. It's been said so many times, and it still hasn't happened. And you're basing your mindless opinion on false information (i.e. attendance).

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's going anywhere either, but at some point the owners have to get their heads out of their asses & realize players salaries are INSANE!!

Player salaries follow league revenue. In order for the salaries to go down, the owners will have to stop making money hand over fist. Unless you just want the owners to get richer and the players to get poorer? I think the owners make too big a piece of the pie as it is.