• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford, Carr & Cousins

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I know QB is THE premium position in football, none other is even close. But I have a little problem with guys like Mike Glennon getting paid more than some of the best (non-QB) Offensive and Defensive players in the league. There is just something wrong with that.

Well the way that some people on here act, SM walks on water. Frankly I'm shocked that I haven't seen some say that if SM didn't think he was the answer, then I don't think he is the answer. Seriously.
SM is gone

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I know QB is THE premium position in football, none other is even close. But I have a little problem with guys like Mike Glennon getting paid more than some of the best (non-QB) Offensive and Defensive players in the league. There is just something wrong with that.

I would not worry about that too much. It could just be a mistake & as a Redskins fan you know that teams make these type of mistakes all of the time (e.g. Fat Al). Just hope that the mistakes are made more by the rivals then the teams that you root for like the Redskins.

In the end these salaries don't dictate ticket prices nor other revenue fees & most teams appear to be doing fine cap wise so this really isn't that big of an issue. Also - the truly elite at non-QB positions are getting paid pretty damn well.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor is the Lions are waiting for Carr to sign. I think both Carr and Stafford get more than Cousins.

this is the problem

Lions are waiting for Carr to sign

Raiders are waiting for Cousins to sign

Redskins are waiting for Stafford to sign

:ipw:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the problem

Lions are waiting for Carr to sign

Raiders are waiting for Cousins to sign

Redskins are waiting for Stafford to sign

:ipw:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So worth it, if for not other reason than the fact that his name isnt Kurt.
CYYrJt7WsAEC9Y7.jpg

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins has a ton to prove this season or he is gone

It wont matter what Kirk does aside from single handedly winning a Lombardi, he is gone. Some folks will be happy about it. Because no matter how well he does, people will say, its not good enough.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been a 7-9...8-8...9-7 franchise for a very long time (6-10 with bad bounces and 10-6 when things go well.) That's with and without Kirk.

It seems to me that there is cause to celebrate stability at the most dependent position in football, but stability alone doesn't mean winning at a championship level. Frankly, all it really does is prevent the NFL upper crust from giving us these:

th

Interesting fact; This franchise has NEVER won a SB with an "Elite" QB at the helm....AND....they don't have one now. While it's fun talking about Kirk and his contract situation, the focus must be on what it historically has and currently will take to get another Lombardi. Right now we are still a 7-9 to 9-7 middle of the pack type team.

Has he been the best that we've had in 20 years? Yep, but in all honesty, this has been a franchise that could have used that same faux boast (considering differences in years) about Rich Gannon, Gus Frerotte, Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Jason Campbell, and Donovan McNabb. It's NOT a bragging point to mention Cousins in that light, it's a very sad thing to have to say.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been a 7-9...8-8...9-7 franchise for a very long time (6-10 with bad bounces and 10-6 when things go well.) That's with and without Kirk.

It seems to me that there is cause to celebrate stability at the most dependent position in football, but stability alone doesn't mean winning at a championship level. Frankly, all it really does is prevent the NFL upper crust from giving us these:

th

Interesting fact; This franchise has NEVER won a SB with an "Elite" QB at the helm....AND....they don't have one now. While it's fun talking about Kirk and his contract situation, the focus must be on what it historically has and currently will take to get another Lombardi. Right now we are still a 7-9 to 9-7 middle of the pack type team.

Has he been the best that we've had in 20 years? Yep, but in all honesty, this has been a franchise that could have used that same faux boast (considering differences in years) about Rich Gannon, Gus Frerotte, Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Jason Campbell, and Donovan McNabb. It's NOT a bragging point to mention Cousins in that light, it's a very sad thing to have to say.

You forgot to mention the worst of that bunch who set this franchise back years - RG3. Sure he had the one good year but then proved to be a joke (on & off the field). Couldn't even keep a job w/ the Browns - lol.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit decided not to take the Redskins approach and let Stafford be in the cat bird seat next year as far as demands go. Is stafford any more elite than KC? No. But he was next in line and the price will continually just go up. KC's price just went up because of this. And Rogers has to be just giddy over this. This contract value (and KC's next year) has very little to do with how elite they are and more to do with the fact that there is just a huge scarcity of capable (even if just average) QBs. Its all about supply and demand, folks. if you have a QB that can get you to the playoffs, even if they need a supporting cast around them (which stafford and Cousins both need), you keep him and pay him what the market bears. Because if you can get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Everyone needs to keep in mind what the ultimate goal is. Its not the be the most frugal franchise in the league, but to win a SB. If you don't have a QB, you have no chance to get into the playoffs. And that is step 1 toward putting yourself in a position to win a SB. Stafford and KC have both proven that they can be a QB on a playoff caliber team.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wont matter what Kirk does aside from single handedly winning a Lombardi, he is gone. Some folks will be happy about it. Because no matter how well he does, people will say, its not good enough.

Disagree. If the team has a winning record I believe that they make this happen. I truly believe that Cousins wants to stay in DC & will make a ton of money (due to the stupid manner in which this was handled by Allen). Now if they have a losing record that will likely be another matter & if Cousins plays a major role in this I won't really blame them too much.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot to mention the worst of that bunch who set this franchise back years - RG3. Sure he had the one good year but then proved to be a joke (on & off the field). Couldn't even keep a job w/ the Browns - lol.

I didn't forget....:D

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been saying this for years, college QB's need time to become indoctrinated into the NFL game. The odds against them succeeding when thrown in right away goes way up without some preparation. Of course, then you'll get howls from the not knowing, impatient, peanut gallery who will tell you outright that you don't draft or pay X amount to draft a QB high in the draft just to sit him. When he fails, and they often do, they'll blame the player and NOT where blame rightfully belongs.....with the decision makers, who have failed to properly protect their investment.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying this for years, college QB's need time to become indoctrinated into the NFL game. The odds against them succeeding when thrown in right away goes way up without some preparation. Of course, then you'll get howls from the not knowing, impatient, peanut gallery who will tell you outright that you don't draft or pay X amount to draft a QB high in the draft just to sit him. When he fails, and they often do, they'll blame the player and NOT where blame rightfully belongs.....with the decision makers, who have failed to properly protect their investment.

Let's be real here. Your idea actually has some merit to it. However - very, very few QBs taken in the 1st round (especially in the top 10) are given the luxury of not starting in their initial year & most will be starting during their 1st month. Most were drafted since their team previously had a bad record & issues at QB. Situations like Rodgers & the Packers are very unique, and the pressure on ownership to play their new QB is intense. Look at the Jags a few years ago. They swore that they would not start Bortles in his initial season. Sure enough after a few losses he was in the starting lineup in his first month.

This is all about $$ and applies to most teams - even successful ones. I also would kind of counter this pt to a degree. Sure the organization needs to do more, but the player also has to be held accountable. Many QBs have succeeded who have been starting since their rookie year. Like it or not they need to adapt to the current system which generally means improving their game regardless.

Guys like Manzell, RG3, Leinart & Jamarcus Russell didn't fail because of their teams - they failed because they are not good enough QBs and/or they didn't put in the necessary work to succeed long term. Blaming the organization is just a cop out in cases such as those.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be real here. Your idea actually has some merit to it. However - very, very few QBs taken in the 1st round (especially in the top 10) are given the luxury of not starting in their initial year & most will be starting during their 1st month. Most were drafted since their team previously had a bad record & issues at QB. Situations like Rodgers & the Packers are very unique, and the pressure on ownership to play their new QB is intense. Look at the Jags a few years ago. They swore that they would not start Bortles in his initial season. Sure enough after a few losses he was in the starting lineup in his first month.

This is all about $$ and applies to most teams - even successful ones. I also would kind of counter this pt to a degree. Sure the organization needs to do more, but the player also has to be held accountable. Many QBs have succeeded who have been starting since their rookie year. Like it or not they need to adapt to the current system which generally means improving their game regardless.

Guys like Manzell, RG3, Leinart & Jamarcus Russell didn't fail because of their teams - they failed because they are not good enough QBs and/or they didn't put in the necessary work to succeed long term. Blaming the organization is just a cop out in cases such as those.

First, we will NEVER know how much of a difference the course of some of these player might have been had those in charge simply did the right thing in NOT falling to so called "Pressure."

That to me is the biggest point in all of this.....some call it, as you have, a "luxury" or "pressure" while I call it desperation/ impatience. They even go so far, again as you have, to point out the "uniqueness" of the Brady and Rogers situations (Brady sat too). Given the results, maybe the real pressure must be in employing patience and not rushing towards the "Now" mentality. If Rogers and Brady types are the end result, maybe all NFL owners and their HC's must strive to be "unique."