• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford, Carr & Cousins

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See Sharks post. It blows your theory out of the water.
Today, no but at the rate QB salaries are climbing, they will continue to eat larger portions of the cap. The 50% was just a wildly tossed number, for effect.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OH I know where you were headed with this. But logic dictates it will never happen. If you look back, even when Romo got his big payday, he was never more than 14% of the cap.. and that was last year.

And every new contract must be bigger than the last because the cap continues to go up. Part of the CBA says the owners have to spend a certain part of the cap. Better to put those dollars into a player you expect to e around and a major part of your team, than burn it up on one year free agent rentals that bust more often than not.
Fair enough, and I agree with the bolded.
FWIW I'm not harping against Cousins, he should have been paid 2cyeats ago, I just wonder if the QB contracts will continue this trend to where the rest of the rosters suffer.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today, no but at the rate QB salaries are climbing, they will continue to eat larger portions of the cap. The 50% was just a wildly tossed number, for effect.

Again, I get where you are going, and I appreciate the number for dramatic effect. But lets say for shits and grins the Redskins actually tag Cousins at $35M next year... Out outrageous thought mind you. But even then, on a third cap, Cousins would take up 20.1% of the cap, and thats not adjusting for carry over. A plumber in 2018 is going to make significantly more than a plumber made in 2000. As the cost of services increase, the cost of skilled labor goes up as well. As the cap continues to rise, player contracts across the board will rise at all positions. Its in part how the CBA was written. When a QB is costing 30-40% of the cap, then I will worry. But right now it is what it is. Stafford got paid. Grap And McCarron will hit FA and get $20M a year.. maybe more. You aint getting that Genie back in the bottle.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, and I agree with the bolded.
FWIW I'm not harping against Cousins, he should have been paid 2cyeats ago, I just wonder if the QB contracts will continue this trend to where the rest of the rosters suffer.

Good point. But aside from the dark days when Dallas was cutting and reworking players to keep Romo, and a few other examples around the NFL in the old CBA, exactly which rosters are currently suffering because of what they are paying their QB?? Some are fucked because of poor scouting. Projecting into next year there is one team that might be over the cap, the Chiefs. And then only by about $3M. The days of teams cutting still serviceable players and fan favorites to hang onto the QB are by and large a thing of the old CBA.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Pat Kirwan on NFL Radio today say "I knew they were going to get to $30 million but they are getting there faster than I thought."

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the rate QB salaries are climbing, they will still be getting around 15% of the cap because the salary cap is going up at the same rate.