• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Springer or Blackmon

Who's the better leadoff hitter in baseball?

• George Springer

• Charlie Blackmon

• Both equally awesome

• Both overrated

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just pointing that the notion that the Rockies can't hit away from Coors field isn't as true as people think it is. The knock on them has always been "who cares about what they hit at home they can't hit on the road" and that just isn't the case. Of course they'll slump here and there but going off last year and yes even the small sample size this year that statement has been shown to be false.

I am always bothered that the hitters get dinged for playing there, but pitchers don't get the inverse view for pitching there

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am always bothered that the hitters get dinged for playing there, but pitchers don't get the inverse view for pitching there

While I get what you are saying I'm not sure that there are many (any?) Rockies pitchers that come to mind as being terribly underrated. Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I get what you are saying I'm not sure that there are many (any?) Rockies pitchers that come to mind as being terribly underrated. Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

Maybe Ubaldo Jimenez prior to 2010? He was pretty damn good but it never really felt like he was talked about too much (I could be wrong).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Ubaldo Jimenez prior to 2010? He was pretty damn good but it never really felt like he was talked about too much (I could be wrong).

Ah good call, he probably counts. He was very good in those early years.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just pointing that the notion that the Rockies can't hit away from Coors field isn't as true as people think it is. The knock on them has always been "who cares about what they hit at home they can't hit on the road" and that just isn't the case. Of course they'll slump here and there but going off last year and yes even the small sample size this year that statement has been shown to be false.
I think if this were statistically false, it would have been proven by now. But the sample size is not small for the Rockies hitters over the years.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if this were statistically false, it would have been proven by now. But the sample size is not small for the Rockies hitters over the years.

But the Rockies have been terrible for like 80% of their existence, it easy to say they suck on the road when they lose 85-95 games every year, they suck at home too. The Rockies of last year(and so far this year) have proven that statement to be false but people still say it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the Rockies have been terrible for like 80% of their existence, it easy to say they suck on the road when they lose 85-95 games every year, they suck at home too. The Rockies of last year(and so far this year) have proven that statement to be false but people still say it.
I think you might be removing a point and inserting one you can support.
The hitting isn't about the team sucking, the comment is about whether the hitting takes a beating on the road.
The fact that the team sucks is a product of several components. What we are discussing is if the team's hitting is better at home and what sample size is required to prove that. Stats show over the last 20-some years that the Rockies hitters hit better at home than on the road. That's not a false statement, regardless of what a weekend series is inclined to show you and the fact that when they have a good team, they tend to play better on the road.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at every single year of home/away splits for the Rockies hitters. there have been years where the Rockies' home OPS was over 200 points higher than on the road. That's ridiculous.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be removing a point and inserting one you can support.
The hitting isn't about the team sucking, the comment is about whether the hitting takes a beating on the road.
The fact that the team sucks is a product of several components. What we are discussing is if the team's hitting is better at home and what sample size is required to prove that. Stats show over the last 20-some years that the Rockies hitters hit better at home than on the road. That's not a false statement, regardless of what a weekend series is inclined to show you and the fact that when they have a good team, they tend to play better on the road.
look at every single year of home/away splits for the Rockies hitters. there have been years where the Rockies' home OPS was over 200 points higher than on the road. That's ridiculous.

I never said I was arguing what's better road vs home I'm saying people don't take them seriously because they use the "who cares about what they hit at Coors field when they suck away from it argument" when that isn't the case anymore. Of course they're better at home because they play in high altitude but most people seem to have this notion that if any Rockie is really good he can't be one of the best in the league at his position because he plays half his games at Coors. How is it Blackmon's or Arenado's(just throwing him in because he gets brought up just as much) fault that they play for Colorado and that should automatically disqualify them from being in the discussion.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said I was arguing what's better road vs home I'm saying people don't take them seriously because they use the "who cares about what they hit at Coors field when they suck away from it argument" when that isn't the case anymore. Of course they're better at home because they play in high altitude but most people seem to have this notion that if any Rockie is really good he can't be one of the best in the league at his position because he plays half his games at Coors. How is it Blackmon's or Arenado's(just throwing him in because he gets brought up just as much) fault that they play for Colorado and that should automatically disqualify them from being in the discussion.
Well, that is more to the point than just the team sucking.
I agree that a lot of "experts" say the Rockies hitters have fake batting averages. I think Arenado is getting respect. Blackmon, maybe not as much.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I like about Blackmon more than Springer is his beard.