• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2013 Edition

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pill's future is in Japan, I think. He's not an outfielder. I'd have a hard time putting him on this squad.

I have to agree that Pill is a hard sell for extra OF. Like Tanaka, he'd have to impress in ST. Pill is a 1B (who has seen some duty at 2B, and very limited appearances elsewhere). He's the RH power bat off the bench, which gives him a push up, but if his OFing sucks I doubt he makes the team.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where does Nick Noonan fit into the UI equation?

My flyer pick this year is Roger Kieschnick. A great spring and he could find a spot on the roster - especially so if Torres' wheels show themselves to be broken. But the guy I most to see play is Brock Bond. Anyone know how good his D is?

Nice write-up on Kieschnick by Baggs.

“We drafted a physical guy with big-time power who could be an offensive and defensive contributor,” Barr said. “We saw an everyday player. I still believe he can be an everyday player, and a good one.”

Here's one indication that Barr isn't alone: Kieschnick received No. 23 this spring. That's the number worn by Felipe Alou, Jack Hiatt, Tito Fuentes, Jose Uribe, Ellis Burks and Shawon Dunston, among others. It's not the number you give to a No. 5 outfielder. If the Giants' left field platoon of Gregor Blanco and Andres Torres doesn't work out, Kieschnick could emerge as a solid alternative.

“What do you want to know about him? Player or person?” said Crawford, asked to describe his friend. “Because as a person, he’s one of the best people in the world.”

And as a player?

“Well, he can run, he has a great arm, he’s a good defender and obviously he has huge power,” Crawford said. “I definitely like having his locker next to mine. I'm just hoping he stays healthy. If he does that, he’s got a good shot of being up here.”

Giants manager Bruce Bochy agreed. He said if Kieschnick hadn’t gotten hurt, he probably would have received his first big league call-up within a few weeks – and a World Series ring, too.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a terrific article.

http://www.csncalifornia.com/blog/andrew-baggarly/how-giants-put-posey-back-together

As soon as the anesthesia wore off and Posey had his wits about him, he asked Groeschner how it went.

“Then he says, `My twins are coming in the middle of August, and I need to be walking by then,’” Groeschner said. “He couldn’t have his wife taking care of him, too. He needed to be mobile. That was the first thing he was worried about – how his injury would affect his family.”

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Goner is Gone (from Shulman):

UPDATE: Just as I posted this photo, the Giants announced they have traded infielder Conor Gillaspie to the White Sox for right-hander Jeff Soptic. Soptic, 21, went 3-3 with a 5.09 ERA in 30 relief appearances over his first two pro seasons. He was a third-rounder in the 2001 draft.

According to the Giants’ press release, Baseball America ranked Soptic’s fastball as the best in the Chicago organization.

Ventura might see a little bit of himself in Coner. And note the draft date and current age of Soptic (2001, 21) - talk about a project. Pav's take.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Scouting report on Soptic:

Jeffrey Soptic has a smooth and easy delivery and uses his size and arm strength to deliver his high 90s, and at times 100 plus, velocity. His mechanics are solid and sound; no need for polishing in that area especially since he profiles so well at the back of the pen.

Soptic projects to an above average relief pitcher. If his secondary pitches develop, we could see his services used as a top-notch closer. He’s currently a raw pitcher with velocity that can’t be taught but no other above average tools.

He takes advantage of his size and at 6’6″, he should get stronger as he develops. Soptic’s main issue has been to learn to pitch low in the zone with his fastball. It’s currently very flat despite the plus velocity. His slider is a pitch that can flash plus, which is promising but he really needs to develop it further and gain more consistency.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goner is Gone (from Shulman):

Ventura might see a little bit of himself in Coner. And note the draft date and current age of Soptic (2001, 21) - talk about a project. Pav's take.

I would have been happy getting a sack of BP balls for Gonor, so actually getting a warm body is a huge plus.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would have been happy getting a sack of BP balls for Gonor, so actually getting a warm body is a huge plus.

Agree, outside of an act of God, he had no chance of making the team. The White Sox have penciled in Keppinger at 3rd base, so they're pretty weak there.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the kind of trade that brings a smile to my face. Soptic is only 21 and already has two years MLB experience. Could be a real 'find'. I guess time will tell. I look at moves like this and I think it makes the organization look good. Shows they've done some level of homework and continue to try an better this team. I like this approach so much better then the Doggies approach of ..... buy everything available and we'll throw away what we don't need.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the kind of trade that brings a smile to my face. Soptic is only 21 and already has two years MLB experience. Could be a real 'find'. I guess time will tell. I look at moves like this and I think it makes the organization look good. Shows they've done some level of homework and continue to try an better this team. I like this approach so much better then the Doggies approach of ..... buy everything available and we'll throw away what we don't need.

Yep. Nice of Sabean to take advantage of the market. Here's an older ESPN blurb on the 3rd base situation in Chicago:

A road block the White Sox have faced in acquiring a third baseman is that the current free-agent class offers minimal options and that a number of teams are looking to add at the position.

The White Sox have not divorced themselves from the idea that Kevin Youkilis could return, but he sits out of their price range, unless they reduce payroll in another area. Keppinger, on the other hand, could be had for around $4 million a season in a multi-year deal, according to various reports Tuesday.

As a right-handed hitter he is not an exact match for what the White Sox are looking for to balance out the offense. Both Hahn and Ventura have talked about the desire for a left-handed bat this week at the annual winter meetings.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Schulman said on the radio yesterday that Juan Perez is his pick for 5th OF...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Schulman said on the radio yesterday that Juan Perez is his pick for 5th OF...

He has as much chance as anyone, I guess. If I am not mistaken, dude hold the national record for HRs in a season for CC. Was a stud in CC. He has not had total success in the minors, but has always put up acceptible numbers. He has been on my radar from day 1.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has as much chance as anyone, I guess. If I am not mistaken, dude hold the national record for HRs in a season for CC. Was a stud in CC. He has not had total success in the minors, but has always put up acceptible numbers. He has been on my radar from day 1.

I think (in Schulman's eyes and mine) what gives JC Perez the advantage is that he bats right-handed. Giants are looking at right-handed options (hence Pill). Thing about Pill, his D is suspect. Perez is, from reports, pretty solid out there. Kieschnick is left-handed.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think (in Schulman's eyes and mine) what gives JC Perez the advantage is that he bats right-handed. Giants are looking at right-handed options (hence Pill). Thing about Pill, his D is suspect. Perez is, from reports, pretty solid out there. Kieschnick is left-handed.

I don't think the Giants see Kieschnick as a fifth outfielder. In order to make the club, he'd have to push Blanco or Torres to the fifth outfielder position.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Giants see Kieschnick as a fifth outfielder. In order to make the club, he'd have to push Blanco or Torres to the fifth outfielder position.

This. He plays everyday. Either SF or Fresno.