• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2013 Edition

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel like Pence wont be back. if he hits .220 again, the giants probably will want to move on. if he has a good year, he probably will price himself out of the Giants range.

a lot probably rides on how Timmay does this year. i dont see both coming back.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Schulman today: Riot a 50/50 shot at returning, Weez likely to get a minor league deal from the Giants....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Schulman today: Riot a 50/50 shot at returning, Weez likely to get a minor league deal from the Giants....

Well, if Riot signs, then the last util spot is his. Bond and Tanaka will go to Fresno and Abreau will probably be let go.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel like Pence wont be back. if he hits .220 again, the giants probably will want to move on. if he has a good year, he probably will price himself out of the Giants range.

a lot probably rides on how Timmay does this year. i dont see both coming back.

IMHO, I get the sense that Pence really likes it here. He is a free-spirited guy who has built up huge clubhouse leadership cred. He won't fit in anywhere else like he does here. That means a lot, because he doesn't strike me as the mercenary type. If he has a year where he hits .265 with 23 HRs and 95 RBI, and we offer him 5/75, I think he would take it. The Dodger situation has unfortunately redefined contract values, so who knows?

Also IMHO, if I had to guess, I would say Timmy will not be a Giant in 2014.

Caveat: both of these opinions are utterly devoid of any substantiation whatsoever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO, I get the sense that Pence really likes it here. He is a free-spirited guy who has built up huge clubhouse leadership cred. He won't fit in anywhere else like he does here. That means a lot, because he doesn't strike me as the mercenary type. If he has a year where he hits .265 with 23 HRs and 95 RBI, and we offer him 5/75, I think he would take it. The Dodger situation has unfortunately redefined contract values, so who knows?

Also IMHO, if I had to guess, I would say Timmy will not be a Giant in 2014.

Caveat: both of these opinions are utterly devoid of any substantiation whatsoever.

Is a guy who hits .265, 23 HR a multi-year 15M per guy now? I am not challenging, I am actually asking.

I am not sure if he is a leader or a jester in the locker-room. Most of the reports were that Scoots was the genius behind the speach and his antics. Scoots wanted to say that stuff, but his english es no so goo, so Herk was drafted by him to say it instead.

I agree that Timmeh walks. Either way, he is offered a QO, though. In today's world, even a #4 SP is worth 13M. Especially one with his resume.

We may need to dip into the FA market to replace him, though. I am not sure Vogey will still be a stud for '14, and I am not sure we want to go into '14 with Kamp/Heston/Kickham as our #4/#5.

I do expect Zito to be back, though.

Cain, Bum, Vogey, Zito, FA/Kid

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just noticed that Abreau has not played yet this spring. Any word on an injury?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally down with bringing Riot back and signing The Weez to any kind of deal. I'm also totally surprised either is an option at this point. I would have thought both of them would have found a spot elsewhere by now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally down with bringing Riot back and signing The Weez to any kind of deal. I'm also totally surprised either is an option at this point. I would have thought both of them would have found a spot elsewhere by now.

The FA market this year has been odd. Bourn signed as late as he did, Lohse still available, Riot still available...

Not too surprised about Weez, though. I do not think he is in much of a hurry. He will not be MLB ready until ASB earliest.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Riot is waiting to see if a 2b gets injured. Otherwise, he'll take the backup job here.

Weez has drawn zero interest. Second TJ surgery -- nobody's gonna give him more than a minor league deal.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is a guy who hits .265, 23 HR a multi-year 15M per guy now? I am not challenging, I am actually asking.

I am not sure if he is a leader or a jester in the locker-room. Most of the reports were that Scoots was the genius behind the speach and his antics. Scoots wanted to say that stuff, but his english es no so goo, so Herk was drafted by him to say it instead.

I agree that Timmeh walks. Either way, he is offered a QO, though. In today's world, even a #4 SP is worth 13M. Especially one with his resume.

We may need to dip into the FA market to replace him, though. I am not sure Vogey will still be a stud for '14, and I am not sure we want to go into '14 with Kamp/Heston/Kickham as our #4/#5.

I do expect Zito to be back, though.

Cain, Bum, Vogey, Zito, FA/Kid

Last year, Pence went .253/26/104, and got $13.8 on a one year deal. So my guess is that 5/75 for similar production, esp with the Dodger situation factored in, is in the ballpark, as it were. And while he only hit .219 for us, he also had 45 RBI in 59 games. That's over 120 RBI projected over a whole season.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My greater "fear" with Pence, and I would love to hear the opinion of this august compendium, is, hypothetically, suppose at the halfway point of 2013, we are in a very tight race with the Dodgers, and Pence is hitting .280, with 14 HRs and 62 RBIs, which of course projects to 28 HRs and 124 RBI. What do we do then re his impending expiring contract?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My greater "fear" with Pence, and I would love to hear the opinion of this august compendium, is, hypothetically, suppose at the halfway point of 2013, we are in a very tight race with the Dodgers, and Pence is hitting .280, with 14 HRs and 62 RBIs, which of course projects to 28 HRs and 124 RBI. What do we do then re his impending expiring contract?

If we are in a tight race with the doggies in this scenario, we do nothing. You NEVER talk contract with a guy in a tight race. You do not want to cause distractions.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown, Pags, Kieschnick... Dominguez, Villalona (move Belt to the OF).

I am VERY hesitant to give Herk a long term, high $ contract. He does not appear to be enough above average to do that sort of deal.

With the Dodgers rewriting the market value of all free agents, I wouldn't be disappointed if the Giants locked up some more players. Pence didn't put up great stats last year, but he's got a lot of productive years still ahead of him, IMO, and he is a great teammate.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are in a tight race with the doggies in this scenario, we do nothing. You NEVER talk contract with a guy in a tight race. You do not want to cause distractions.

I understand your point, but what if the absence of a long-term contract IS the distraction?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point, but what if the absence of a long-term contract IS the distraction?

If he ends up pulling a Molina on us, than fuck him. I don't want him here.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown, Pags, Kieschnick... Dominguez, Villalona (move Belt to the OF).

I am VERY hesitant to give Herk a long term, high $ contract. He does not appear to be enough above average to do that sort of deal.

An interesting article on the subject from McCovey Chronicles, with a shipload of comments afterward:

Hunter Pence doesn't want to test free agency - McCovey Chronicles

I am hoping we can sign him to an extension before season's end before other clubs start bidding on him. We just signed him to the one-year, so extending that before the season starts seems a little strange. That's why I thought mid-year, if he's having a good year, would seem like a good time. Something quick and quiet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interesting article on the subject from McCovey Chronicles, with a shipload of comments afterward:

Hunter Pence doesn't want to test free agency - McCovey Chronicles

I am hoping we can sign him to an extension before season's end before other clubs start bidding on him. We just signed him to the one-year, so extending that before the season starts seems a little strange. That's why I thought mid-year, if he's having a good year, would seem like a good time. Something quick and quiet.

I think there is a seed of interest by the Giants to keep him around. But if it takes a 5-year deal to get it done, than no way do I want that. I would be OK with a 2/27, or something like that, given a productive 1/2 year from him in '13. If he has a monster, and it appears it is who he is, I could see a 3/45. But anything past that and I think they need to put negotiations off to after the season (maybe before he hits FA) and see what happens.