• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Since it's coming Tuesday...how does Brady's appeal go?

What happens to Bradys 4 game suspension at his appeal?

• Stays at 4 games

• Reduced to 3 games

• Reduced to 2 games

• Reduced to 1 game

• Exonerated entirely, no suspension

• Goodell makes more rules up and adds 5 games

Results are only viewable after voting.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agree, but I'm more amazed by those that try to act like know-it-alls on message boards. By the way, I would think all NE fans would be more familiar with the process than the average fan!!!

It’s a given that Brady will appeal his four-game suspension. Per the league office, the Patriots separately can appeal the $1 million fine and the removal of two draft picks — a first-rounder in 2016 and a fourth-rounder in 2017. Any appeal from the team would be handled by the Commissioner or his designee.

It’s also possible that the Patriots and their lawyers will consider the possibility of conjuring a possible lawsuit, in the event the appeal is unsuccessful. Peter King of TheMMQB.com and NBC’s Football Night in America thinks it’s possible that Kraft will decide to “go rogue” and sue. It’s possible that Kraft will simply want the league to fear litigation when processing an appeal, in the hopes that Kraft will be placated by a reduction in the penalties
Patriots could pursue an appeal of their own | ProFootballTalk

Kraft also seemed to think he could appeal:

I don’t want to continue the rhetoric,” Kraft said Tuesday during the Spring League Meeting. “I’m going to accept, reluctantly, what (the commissioner) has given to us. We won’t appeal.

Yes, it basically consisted of Kraft asking RG to let it go, wasn't going to happen, and would then have to become a law suit because he is basically a franchise of a larger company that has a constitution.

Brady is a union member, his appeal consists of asking RG to let it go, isn't going to happen. NFLPA who he is represented by doesn't need to file a law suit. They can file a case with the NLRB over a contract dispute, which this happens to be.

The two aren't even remotely similar.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said it was similar, but learn the rules or at least state them accurately before coming off like others are clueless on the topic. There is an appeal process that the Pats could have taken, whether it be with the Commissioner or really through the courts which is probably the only "real" appeal. My only point on the topic from the beginning was that normally the only reasons someone would not appeal was because either they feel they were wrong and accept the decision, or they just don't see anyway they can win the appeal. It's a serious penalty and I was surprised Kraft let it go without a fight. Maybe start the legal process and then come to Goodell with a settlement type deal (make the 1st rounder a 2nd?)

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said it was similar, but learn the rules or at least state them accurately before coming off like others are clueless on the topic. There is an appeal process that the Pats could have taken, whether it be with the Commissioner or really through the courts which is probably the only "real" appeal. My only point on the topic from the beginning was that normally the only reasons someone would not appeal was because either they feel they were wrong and accept the decision, or they just don't see anyway they can win the appeal. It's a serious penalty and I was surprised Kraft let it go without a fight. Maybe start the legal process and then come to Goodell with a settlement type deal (make the 1st rounder a 2nd?)

Yes he could have appealed to RG who is completely unbiased.:L

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he could have appealed to RG who is completely unbiased.:L

Again, I didn't say it would change the outcome, but it would at least give Goodell a chance to step back and say maybe I reduce the 1st to a 2nd and still drill my point home. But that's not the point, don't confuse process with likely outcome. There is an appeal process in place that Kraft COULD have taken both with the league and in the courts. You said the below and didn't know it yourself. You tried to make someone else look bad and you just made yourself look bad when you were called on it.

"But it still amazes me how ignorant the avg fan is of the process at each of the levels of the sport."

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I didn't say it would change the outcome, but it would at least give Goodell a chance to step back and say maybe I reduce the 1st to a 2nd and still drill my point home. But that's not the point, don't confuse process with likely outcome. There is an appeal process in place that Kraft COULD have taken both with the league and in the courts. You said the below and didn't know it yourself. You tried to make someone else look bad and you just made yourself look bad when you were called on it.

"But it still amazes me how ignorant the avg fan is of the process at each of the levels of the sport."

You realize RG works for 31 other owners, and Kraft waited till he met with the other 31 before caving right? There was never a chance it was getting reduced, ever. Kraft had one option and one option only, sue the billion dollar boys club and be an outcast from it forever. He doesn't have Al Davis blood running through him, so he caved.

And my quote stands.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize RG works for 31 other owners, and Kraft waited till he met with the other 31 before caving right? There was never a chance it was getting reduced, ever. Kraft had one option and one option only, sue the billion dollar boys club and be an outcast from it forever. He doesn't have Al Davis blood running through him, so he caved.

And my quote stands.

Oh and don't forget, since Al D. sued them they added in a you can never sue the other owners rule. Something a court would look at and likely not hear the case because of. Kraft had no options. Brady does.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, that wasn't the discussion. You tried to act like a know it all and you didn't know even know the rule yourself. Don't change the discussion now. Or is this where you go to your argument that the other person has poor reading comprehension? I never said I thought the penalty would be reduced. I only said that I thought it should because it was IMO too severe and that I found it strange that Kraft accepted it and gave my reasons why I thought others (including players and everyone) didn't appeal in the past.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, that wasn't the discussion. You tried to act like a know it all and you didn't know even know the rule yourself. Don't change the discussion now. Or is this where you go to your argument that the other person has poor reading comprehension? I never said I thought the penalty would be reduced. I only said that I thought it should because it was IMO too severe and that I found it strange that Kraft accepted it and gave my reasons why I thought others (including players and everyone) didn't appeal in the past.

His appeal took place at the owners meeting. He didn't have the needed support so taking it to RG, who works for said owners was pointless. His only option was to sue, which also was unlkely to work since he signed an agreement to never do so.

What part of the rule am I failing to understand? The short version of the rule is he can not sue.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:frusty:

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the word "exonerated" is being thrown around a lot now by a lot of insiders.

im also hearing max could be 1 game.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really think one game would be fair. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the benefit gained from what they did with the balls is IMO negligible. If they had just admitted to it and not tried to hamper the investigation I don't think he would have gotten ANY games. So if he comes forward today (tomorrow?) and is completely forthright maybe they remove the portion of the suspension for not cooperating and go back to just the facts. IMO The facts are there if you want to see them, but they aren't so strong that you can say EXACTLY who told who, what and when. Obviously Brady was involved and aware of what was going on, but maybe it should have been more of a team penalty than against the player himself all along.

IMO they should just blame it on Matt Estrella...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think one game would be fair. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the benefit gained from what they did with the balls is IMO negligible. If they had just admitted to it and not tried to hamper the investigation I don't think he would have gotten ANY games. So if he comes forward today (tomorrow?) and is completely forthright maybe they remove the portion of the suspension for not cooperating and go back to just the facts. IMO The facts are there if you want to see them, but they aren't so strong that you can say EXACTLY who told who, what and when. Obviously Brady was involved and aware of what was going on, but maybe it should have been more of a team penalty than against the player himself all along.

IMO they should just blame it on Matt Estrella...
yup, and thats fine...and i agree...but essentially he will lose a game "for not cooperating" in an investigation, not for an infraction of any kind...and the NFLPA will ride that horse for brady.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats cheated and got caught (again). I did not think Brady would get the suspension, I thought it should be Belicheat. Either way they need to quit being the whiney rich kid, accept the punishment and follow the rules. Last time was an opportunity for Kraft to make sure that all Patriot employees knew rules, and knew they were expected to follow the rules. No different from any other company. Obviously he did not do that. And now they are worried about their legacy? Caught cheating two times and they want us to believe that this is the only two times they cheated and were just unlucky and got caught both times. Really! Their legacy is winning is the only thing that matters and cheating is ok as long as you don't get caught.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing really happens resulting from tomorrows appeal. It's a required stepping stone that has to be stepped upon before the NFLPA files with the feds.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm listening to the Sports Hub talking about the appeal. 4 hours max for the appeal. This is only to present new information and that's only what Goodell consider new. AEI reports and the like need not apply.

It seems clear that Goodell is not doing squat in the appeal. This is going to court.

Of course Goodell being a dick will probably only solidify Brady's case in court.

Last edited:

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
I'm listening to the Sports Hub talking about the appeal. 4 hours max for the appeal. This is only to present new information and that's only what Goodell consider new. AEI reports and the like need not apply.

It seems clear that Goodell is not doing squat in the appeal. This is going to court.

Of course Goodell being a dick will probably only solidify Brady's case in court.

If it goes to court it will be 8 game suspension

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing really happens resulting from tomorrows appeal. It's a required stepping stone that has to be stepped upon before the NFLPA files with the feds.

well even reiss a supporter of the pats says it's not (limited ) much brady can do after the appeal . what i see is brady is saying 4 games is to much because of this or that . peterson case was over turned because he was guilty before the nfl jacked up the punishment . ray rice anyone could've won that you can't punish a man for the same crime twice .

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think this appeal will only solidify Brady's case. It's may be ugly but I think Goodell is going to lose again.

There have any number of lawyers that have gone back and forth on this, so ok. Today these guys think Brady's chances are poor.

Last edited:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the nfl and players have agreed to this system so it will be hard to fight .