• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Since it's coming Tuesday...how does Brady's appeal go?

What happens to Bradys 4 game suspension at his appeal?

• Stays at 4 games

• Reduced to 3 games

• Reduced to 2 games

• Reduced to 1 game

• Exonerated entirely, no suspension

• Goodell makes more rules up and adds 5 games

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure your point. Mine was the Pats could have appealed the penalty and didn't. Normally that means one of two things. Either they agree with the decision and accept it as just punishment or they think they will lose the appeal and don't bother.

The Kraft family/Patriots organization are not afforded an "Appeal" process like the one the players union bargained for in the current CBA. They had two options; either they could accept the punishment or sue the league, as in the 31 other owners.

They decided not to sue the other owners and potentially damage the brand name of the entire league. I don't mistake that for an admission of guilt.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.

But my impression was always that once it left the court of Goodell, he was subject to all the shit any old Chet would be subject to in a court of law.

We'll see how it plays out.

I'm thinking they file withe NLRB and it's not exactly the same as a federal court.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure your point. Mine was the Pats could have appealed the penalty and didn't. Normally that means one of two things. Either they agree with the decision and accept it as just punishment or they think they will lose the appeal and don't bother.
Or Kraft doesn't want to lose money by spending money to fight himself.
Seriously, Kraft is the league. He is a business man with ties to the other owners.
If they, in consensus, feel that it is best for the league for the team not to fight it, he is a league guy.....

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And exactly how does that appeal take place? There is no process in place for what you are suggesting. Ownership of a team is completely different than a player under a CBA contract.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And exactly how does that appeal take place? There is no process in place for what you are suggesting. Ownership of a team is completely different than a player under a CBA contract.
That "appeal" happens in a back room. They get together and make a deal. It is in all their best interests to make a deal and settle. Want to know what was said? Buy a team!!!!!

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That "appeal" happens in a back room. They get together and make a deal. It is in all their best interests to make a deal and settle. Want to know what was said? Buy a team!!!!!

Bingo!

But it still amazes me how ignorant the avg fan is of the process at each of the levels of the sport.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Politics. Yuk.
Back to topic, we have no rights as a fan. We can walk away but we won't.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im just going by quotes from Kraft himself where he said he has decided not to appeal. So you guys can argue the process with him. I'm not sure what it is myself.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or a backroom deal has already been worked out between Kraft and Goofball? We shall all know soon.

That's possible, but by what means does Goodell reduce the penalty then if there is no appeal to ask him to look at it again? So what benefit do the Pats get from this "back room deal"?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Kraft doesn't want to lose money by spending money to fight himself.
Seriously, Kraft is the league. He is a business man with ties to the other owners.
If they, in consensus, feel that it is best for the league for the team not to fight it, he is a league guy.....

Come on. That paints way too pretty a picture. You know darn well if he thought he'd win, he'd fight this. The pride and arrogance of some of these owners (certainly Kraft and Jerry) is unparalleled and doesn't allow them to accept a penalty they don't think they deserve unless they don't think they can win. And I'm sure all of them would gladly pay millions (court fees) for an additional first round draft pick that would make their team better.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Patriots fans are going to be disappointed. Goodell is too afraid of looking as if he gave in. That overrides other concerns like future legal actions, keeping this circus alive etc. Reduction to two games at best and he could do nothing.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo!

But it still amazes me how ignorant the avg fan is of the process at each of the levels of the sport.

Yes, I agree, but I'm more amazed by those that try to act like know-it-alls on message boards. By the way, I would think all NE fans would be more familiar with the process than the average fan!!!

It’s a given that Brady will appeal his four-game suspension. Per the league office, the Patriots separately can appeal the $1 million fine and the removal of two draft picks — a first-rounder in 2016 and a fourth-rounder in 2017. Any appeal from the team would be handled by the Commissioner or his designee.

It’s also possible that the Patriots and their lawyers will consider the possibility of conjuring a possible lawsuit, in the event the appeal is unsuccessful. Peter King of TheMMQB.com and NBC’s Football Night in America thinks it’s possible that Kraft will decide to “go rogue” and sue. It’s possible that Kraft will simply want the league to fear litigation when processing an appeal, in the hopes that Kraft will be placated by a reduction in the penalties
Patriots could pursue an appeal of their own | ProFootballTalk

Kraft also seemed to think he could appeal:

I don’t want to continue the rhetoric,” Kraft said Tuesday during the Spring League Meeting. “I’m going to accept, reluctantly, what (the commissioner) has given to us. We won’t appeal.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction: They're going to ask him to sacrifice a live goat and shave his butt.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god I hope it is the last one! Not because I care about deflated balls or hate the Pats or anything, but, good lord would that make Goodell look bad! I just want him to keep looking like an incompetent moron. If Brady has to be the martyr, so be it.

That being said, he will probably reduce the suspension, but he can't just eliminate it. He has to save face. I am guessing a 2 game reduction.

Don't worry Pats fans. Bill has months to get ready for a few weeks without Brady. You will be fine.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's possible, but by what means does Goodell reduce the penalty then if there is no appeal to ask him to look at it again? So what benefit do the Pats get from this "back room deal"?
The "appeal" will take place. But potentially there is already a foregone conclusion? The NFL gets to protect all their secrets they don't want the geberal public to know about. Advantage NFL.
Kraft loves Brady. Brady gets "cleared" of any wrongdoing. Advantage Brady and the Pats.
Everyone is happy. Goodell says something like Brady provided evidence that changed the commisioners mind?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "appeal" will take place. But potentially there is already a foregone conclusion? The NFL gets to protect all their secrets they don't want the geberal public to know about. Advantage NFL.
Kraft loves Brady. Brady gets "cleared" of any wrongdoing. Advantage Brady and the Pats.
Everyone is happy. Goodell says something like Brady provided evidence that changed the commisioners mind?

I do agree that ifBrady gets cleared Kraft will be whistling Dixie and probably won't give a shit about that 1st rounder even though it is still a huge and IMO unfair penalty (it's a sunk cost). I also agree that Goodell can take that exact "out" you mentioned about Brady providing additional info. I just don't think it will go to zero after the appeal. I do however think it should and will get reduced from 4 which sucks in a way for me since that is the week Dallas plays NE.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just going by quotes from Kraft himself where he said he has decided not to appeal. So you guys can argue the process with him. I'm not sure what it is myself.

The short version is that it's go all Al Davis and sue the league. Kraft doesn't have that type of personality.