• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should we just cut the CFB season to 2 weeks?

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that cfb has been trending towards the better teams being located in the west and south. People have been migrating to the West and to the South for quite some time. It's been said that the Rose Bowl is one of the biggest reasons for the migration West. When you're snowed in in the Midwest and you're watching a parade and football game with clear skies and temps in the mid-70's, it makes for a pretty strong desire to re-locate.

I also think, though, that style of football has a lot to do with it. Many of the Midwestern teams seem to be clinging to the old "Woody Hayes/Bo Schembechler 3 yards and a cloud of dust" football moreso than teams in the West and South. After all, if you're a young, talented player with speed to burn, which style is going to be more attractive? Oregon's or tOSU's?

Don't get me wrong... I love sunbathing at Thanksgiving and everything... but I really, really, really doubt the Rose Bowl is one of the biggest reasons for the migration west. Good weather, okay, but the Rose Bowl? That's a stretch.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just confused as to how the B1G "needs help" to get into the playoff. There are still undefeated teams in the Big Ten that, if they run the table, will be in. When in modern CFB have there been 4 undefeated teams? Never. Sure, some of the teams have struggled with teams they probably shouldn't have, but the record books are littered with national championship teams that eked out wins. Most recently, Alabama beat unranked, 7-6 Tennessee 12-10 in 2009 and Auburn beat unranked, 6-7 Kentucky 37-34 in 2010. Who remembers those games now? My point is something we've seen again and again over the years of college football: Just win.

It's pretty simple really. Let's say that Sparty wins all of their remaining ganes, including the B1G CCG. Let's also say that Oregon picks up 1 loss along the way, but wins the PAC North and the PAC CCG. You now have, Sparty and Oregon as conference champs with identical records. Do you think the committee is going to choose Sparty over the Ducks when the Ducks beat them head to head?

That's just the easiest of the ways to show how the B1G will need a little help.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong... I love sunbathing at Thanksgiving and everything... but I really, really, really doubt the Rose Bowl is one of the biggest reasons for the migration west. Good weather, okay, but the Rose Bowl? That's a stretch.

That's what's been said and it makes sense. You said you could see the weather being a reason. Well, what greater advertisement for the weather out here is there than watching a parade and football game, both of which are televised nationally, and seeing clear skies with temps in the mid-70's? Especially when you are snowed in.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where is this all going?

I am still trying to figure out your angle and where you are going with all of this . It appears you are pushing Iowa. No?

Just say what is on your mind specifically without beating around the bush.

I really hope they do make it and with a stroke of luck Oregon also makes it.

Wouldn't mind a first round matchup vs Iowa in Pasadena.

I'm not really pushing Iowa at all. I've been a fan for too long to expect great things from them. My point is with all this negative media surrounding the big 10 because tOSU, UM, Wisky and MSU lost completely blows my mind. The committee reads this shit and I find it a bit perplexing that a Nebraska or an Iowa or any other B1G team is getting punished because the supposed flag bearers of the conference have already lost.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really pushing Iowa at all. I've been a fan for too long to expect great things from them. My point is with all this negative media surrounding the big 10 because tOSU, UM, Wisky and MSU lost completely blows my mind. The committee reads this shit and I find it a bit perplexing that a Nebraska or an Iowa or any other B1G team is getting punished because the supposed flag bearers of the conference have already lost.

The reality is the perceived big dogs in the b1g did get beat.

The other part of you post is Understandable. Then the other remaining unbeaten teams can go undefeated and silence the media. That is all it will take. Problem solved

Good Luck *not sacasm*

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reality is the perceived big dogs in the b1g did get beat.

The other part of you post is Understandable. Then the other remaining unbeaten teams can go undefeated and silence the media. That is all it will take. Problem solved

Good Luck *not sacasm*

Just win, baby. That's the motto.

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why wouldn't they? all of a sudden beating ohio state is not beating a top 10 team. wisconsin probably didn't hurt themselves too terribly because they were very competitive in a game they were an underdog in. beating michigan state would carry more weight had they beaten oregon, don't you think?

why can you not understand that the big 10 has put themselves in a bad spot by their piss poor nonconference results? do you really expect anyone to be impressed by michigan state if they win out if oregon doesn't win the pac-12? why would michigan state be selected over the pac-12 champ and oregon? what about if wisconsin wins out and LSU finishes 3rd or 4th in the SEC West? why would wisconsin even be considered?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why wouldn't they? all of a sudden beating ohio state is not beating a top 10 team. wisconsin probably didn't hurt themselves too terribly because they were very competitive in a game they were an underdog in. beating michigan state would carry more weight had they beaten oregon, don't you think?

why can you not understand that the big 10 has put themselves in a bad spot by their piss poor nonconference results? do you really expect anyone to be impressed by michigan state if they win out if oregon doesn't win the pac-12? why would michigan state be selected over the pac-12 champ and oregon? what about if wisconsin wins out and LSU finishes 3rd or 4th in the SEC West? why would wisconsin even be considered?

Did you notice how he didn't say shit about Wisconsin, MSU, or OSU getting in?

taka85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you notice how he didn't say shit about Wisconsin, MSU, or OSU getting in?

i gave him reasons why the perception of the big 10 is low and why the currently undefeated big 10 teams SOS has been negatively impacted.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i gave him reasons why the perception of the big 10 is low and why the currently undefeated big 10 teams SOS has been negatively impacted.

Yet in your hypothetical situations at the end of your post, you just talked about the B1G teams that had been beaten...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has got to be the worst fucking thread ever in the history of the internet. I'm not shitting, this thread should just fucking...kill itself.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i came in here, I had a thought of a post but then realized it was another B1G bashing thread.

Here's an idea (the idea I had when I read the thread title). They should shorten the season to like 7 games. Now hear me out. You do away with conferences. Every year teams get placed into 8 team groups (not the same every year, almost completely random with some consideration put into location). they play a round robin for the first 7 weeks. A champion of each group gets put into the tournament (at 8 teams, FBS should be covered by about 14 groups) which should leave room for 2 wild cards. BAM, 16 team tournament. Winner take all.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No ones being punished, yet. People are speculating and projecting, and very likely those projections will play out.

Those were all big games. Of course people are looking down on the conference. They lost them all.

If the B1G had won all of those games the perceptions most outside of the B1G held going into the season would be getting laughed at right now by B1G members, rightfully so too. But they didn't...

The committee isn't going to need espin headlines and message board opinions to analyze who will be going to the playoffs. They are going to look at who did what over the course of the season, and right now the B1G has lost all of their big games, by their supposed best teams.

It's going to have an negative effect, naturally.

I don't think the B1G sucks, I do think they are the weakest P5 conference at this point in time.
I know they are not mathematically eliminated from the selection process, but they need help.

A person can say what if Nebraska runs the table. Fine, if they do. But most people don't think they will nor anyone else in the B1G for that matter, maybe MSU but they lost their big OOC game already. Theres a lot of parity there.

If it happens and other P5 champs AND ND have a loss, then sure the B1Gs right back in the discussion.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when i came in here, I had a thought of a post but then realized it was another B1G bashing thread.

Here's an idea (the idea I had when I read the thread title). They should shorten the season to like 7 games. Now hear me out. You do away with conferences. Every year teams get placed into 8 team groups (not the same every year, almost completely random with some consideration put into location). they play a round robin for the first 7 weeks. A champion of each group gets put into the tournament (at 8 teams, FBS should be covered by about 14 groups) which should leave room for 2 wild cards. BAM, 16 team tournament. Winner take all.

So talking about on field results and reality is b1g bashing?

Ok man. :thumb:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are bitching about the committee.

A one loss PAC > 1 loss b1g

A one loss SEC > 1 loss b1g

A one loss ACC > 1 loss b1g

This can't be argued. Unless the committee is just going to toss darts to decide who plays in final 4.

Like much of us suspected, the b1g is turrble.

Of course it can be argued. We already have established that who you beat is 100% irrelevant and its all about who you lose to ( thanks 2011!!) so if MSU goes 12-1 beating a bunch of shitty teams and a few decent ones then they are clearly better than USC if they go 12-1 but lose to Oregon State. Thats dealio yo

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a line between discussing results on the field and bashing the Big Ten, and this board has been flirting with it for days now.
this.

i don't mind talking about how bad the Big Ten looks, it just seems to have been going on in multiple threads now. some such as this one, had me coming in because I thought the discussion was going to be about something else.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this.

i don't mind talking about how bad the Big Ten looks, it just seems to have been going on in multiple threads now. some such as this one, had me coming in because I thought the discussion was going to be about something else.

Question for the class. Who is STARTING these threads?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a line between discussing results on the field and bashing the Big Ten, and this board has been flirting with it for days now.

I'm just giving my opinion which to me is very much justified

And look at the thread opening statement.