• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Stafford be benched??!!

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the side arm. I could make a montage of perfect side arm passes he has made. My problem is his shuffling backwards while throwing sideaRm. His feet are a bigger concern to me.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if he ever landed another HC job. In fact Im about 92% sure he wont. I assume you mean defensive coordinator?

He'd be the first since Ford bought the team. I'd be surprised if he broke the streak. His rep as a HC can't be good around the league.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the side arm. I could make a montage of perfect side arm passes he has made. My problem is his shuffling backwards while throwing sideaRm. His feet are a bigger concern to me.

Yeah he seemed to have happy feet alot last night...just didnt look comfortable....but the sidearm is crappy....too hard for recievers to pick it up sometimes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched a game of his a few weeks ago and the play by play guys were discussing a convo that they had with him during the production meeting. They asked him about his footwork and how he throws from awkward positions, and how his release point changes a lot. They asked him how he can fix it, and his response was that he is under incredible pressure and he's not overly concerned with his mechanics, just getting the ball out. What a shit attitude about making yourself a better player. For his sake, hopefully a new coaching staff cannot only help his mechanics, but help the attitude that pretends that there is no problem there.

Do you remember which game this was?

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of it is Linehan always being out classed by good defensive coordinators? Stafford played badly, but the play calling on offense was terrible.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, I'm not to sure if some of you are really paying attention to whats happening to the team and Stafford. Its funny how suddenly theres a lot of talk about how Staff sucks and his mechanics are bad right after Monday Night football. This team has been broken down from the top to the bottom and they have no clue how to adjust. Has anyone noticed how dynamic the offense was at the beginning when Bush, Nate and Stafford were playing great and how it suddenly disappeared in the second half of the season. Stafford wasnt turning the ball over and other players were contributing. It only takes a while for teams to figure out ways to contest those things. Lions are good but not enough to overcome once teams catch on.

Stafford doesnt have bad mechanics, he has a lot of break-downs. Its great when it works but looks awful when it doesnt. Its definitely something he needs to improve on. He's gotten to the point that he's forcing the ball and trusting his arm way too much.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like I've been paying attention the whole time 'top1. After two straight diminishing seasons Im at an alltime low when it comes to faith in Stafford. He's been hurt as much as he's been good. And he's been bad more than he's been hurt. Yardage totals aside, (unimportant)Im very disappointed in his production since 2011.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Stafford should not be benched.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um......what does he do well? Throw the ball far? Hard? Throw it up to CJ?

Maybe thats what he needs...a coach to teach him the whole game.....not just chucking it up for grabs.....he doesnt seem to go thru the reads sometimes.....just like when he forced it to CJ when durham was running down the middle wide open.

Gruden won in TB......thats enough for me....they were the laughing stock of the NFL before the lions took that title over awhile back now. Get a proven winner.

So you think that Jon Gruden is the guy to teach Stafford? You never noticed I guess how young QBs regressed under him. Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, both played well early and regressed as time went on. He has no patience for young players, he's an X&O guy, not a teacher.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford doesnt have bad mechanics, he has a lot of break-downs. Its great when it works but looks awful when it doesnt. Its definitely something he needs to improve on. He's gotten to the point that he's forcing the ball and trusting his arm way too much.

I was telling someone this at work today. Stafford will hit a few sidearm passes in a row and as soon as one is off, we get everyone saying "Oh, it's those sidearm throws that gets him in trouble!" It's hilarious. I mean if he had been particularly accurate with his overhand throws I might agree that the sidearms is this huge problem but I bet his percentage, his low percentage, is pretty similar no matter how he throws it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Theres a lot that goes into assessments on qbs, even when the analysts don't mention it. With all the well deserved criticism, I still wonder what it is the coaches ask him to do in this offense? System style changes a lot of things. I see a qb that lacks with his patience and gets in trouble with his faith in his arm. Steve Young said it best to me on Monday. He said, "Stafford needs to slow things down and take whats there instead of always looking to shoot for big plays." Its true. At the beginning of the year he was and then I dont know what happened.

Stafford really just reminds me of one of those hyper partying kids that doesnt know when to tune it down some.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be on board to get Jay Gruden.

K

kengel6

Mike Vick will be looking for a new home next year. H Blue and Silver, makes sense.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too late for all that.

If you bench him, bench the rest of the clowns that helped contribute to the loss. How about Delmas and CJ?

I would bet even money when a real coach comes in next season. Delmas will be the first clown to get waived. Dude is straight up over rated, takes horrible angles in the run game and tries to claim its "his defense".

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stafford will be much better once a new coaching staff come in and work on his mechanics. The Lions are desperately in need of a good #2 WR. I'm thinking Hakeem Nicks on a 1 year "prove it" deal.

The entire draft needs to be spent on defense. A #1 CB/SLB or S. Lions need to keep building around Suh in the draft. Not Stafford. I feel much more comfortable with Suh leading us to a super bowl than Stafford.

Rob

Forward down the field, Bitches.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think mechanics are as big a problem as his decision making. My man rarely throws balls out of bounds or in the dirt. He forces things too often. Lately it seems that his receivers aren't ready when the ball is delivered. Sometimes he and his receivers aren't on the same page as far as route reads go. Also, I think he's going to get CJ killed by exposing him to huge hits routinely. It is no wonder CJ is looking up field before he secures the football.

Mechanically speaking it is the unusually high velocity he puts on short passes that concerns me. Otherwise I just don't want to see a Weeden underhanded toss and he can throw the ball however he likes. The backfoot stuff is a confidence in his protection problem and not a mechanical concern to me.

The change has to be in limiting the risk he assumes in quarters 1 through 3. Late in games a quarterback has to take more risk if the team is behind. In the first three quarters he's got to be more responsible with the ball. Turn those early INTs over the last 6 weeks into FGs or punts and the games (and I'd bet our record) look way different.

Just running the ball more would limit Stafford's ability to be risky. The Lions are effective at moving the ball on the ground most weeks. The Lions were tremendous on 3rd and short all season until Monday night, when Linehan decided to go empty-set and throw three times like an idiot. Run the ball asshole.

Last edited by a moderator: