• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Baylor Cancel the 2016 season?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither one can save it IMO. They've got to make a killer hire to attract the kids. And anyone viewed as a "killer hire" ain't going to take the job.

If Chad Morris at SMU has some success, I think he'd be the right guy.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chad Morris at SMU has some success, I think he'd be the right guy.

Still gotta convince parents to send their kids to WACO.

The same place where you've had a r*pe scandal, not releasing kids out of their LOIs, basketball players murdering each other, biker gangs having shootouts with police, AND the branch davidian massacre.

Would YOU send your child to that environment? I wouldn't care if Jesus was coaching.....no way I'm sending my child there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching won't matter.

Parents are not sending their kids into the environment and culture that created this mess.
The coach is almost irrelevant at this point.

It's going to take YEARS to recover from this, if at all.......they ARE Baylor. They have nothing to lean on, no history, no legacy, nothing
Hadn't thought of this, great point.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor only has a few guys anybody wants. The rest of their recruits are average at best.

Patrick Hudson
Parrish Cobb
Devin Duvernay
JP Urquidez
Kam Martin

The rest nobody will really care about.

let someone else have JP.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The same place where you've had a r*pe scandal, not releasing kids out of their LOIs, basketball players murdering each other, biker gangs having shootouts with police, AND the branch davidian massacre.

Would YOU send your child to that environment? I wouldn't care if Jesus was coaching.....no way I'm sending my child there.

Every Texan is different. You're right, some parents might not want their kid in Waco. But a new coach can easily blame the culture on Art, and move on. Some Texans don't want to send their kids to Austin, because its too big, too liberal, etc. Ask 10 Texans what the best city in Texas, and you'll get 10 different answers.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HS coaches aren't going to be too thrilled either.
As far as putting things "somewhat back on course" (I use this very loosely), Grobe was the right hire. By all I've heard, he has a stellar reputation from a ethics standpoint. If he can go in and get the team to buy in and have a successful season, there's a small chance it might not be a total dumpster fire. They do still have the academics angle, I guess.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching won't matter.

Parents are not sending their kids into the environment and culture that created this mess. The coach is almost irrelevant at this point.

It's going to take YEARS to recover from this, if at all.......they ARE Baylor. They have nothing to lean on, no history, no legacy, nothing

Doesnt matter. No coach is going to take that job right now. They appear to be losing the best of the 2016 class. 2017 class looks like a disaster. Worst part is there is some talent left on this team, but anyone that goes well will leave for the draft. Baylor is now going to be 1 hell of a clean up project. Any coach that comes in knows it will take 3-4 recruiting classes to fix the problems.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we land the Duvernay brothers and Hudson

I would say TCU is leading for Duvernays. Duvernay is really good, but not thrilled about the +1. Rather use 2 scholarships for Hudson and Cobb, than 3 for Duvernay and Hudson.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Texan is different. You're right, some parents might not want their kid in Waco. But a new coach can easily blame the culture on Art, and move on. Some Texans don't want to send their kids to Austin, because its too big, too liberal, etc. Ask 10 Texans what the best city in Texas, and you'll get 10 different answers.

True enough.....but ONLY Waco boasts:

r*pe scandal
Branch Davidian massacre
Basketball murder
biker shootout

I mean, that's an awful lot to put up with. That's a hard sell for a lot of parents man......and it's a guaranteed NO from any top level recruit.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as putting things "somewhat back on course" (I use this very loosely), Grobe was the right hire. By all I've heard, he has a stellar reputation from a ethics standpoint. If he can go in and get the team to buy in and have a successful season, there's a small chance it might not be a total dumpster fire. They do still have the academics angle, I guess.
He might can do that for this year if there isn't too much attrition. But if he isn't able to blow the doors off recruiting wise, it is a lost cause for the foreseeable future.

Morris may be the only one that has a big enough connection to the Texas HS coaches to overcome this. And he hasn't proven that great at SMU...yet.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

r*pe scandal
Branch Davidian massacre
Basketball murder
biker shootout

I mean, that's an awful lot to put up with. That's a hard sell for a lot of parents man......and it's a guaranteed NO from any top level recruit.
Yep. Truly prestigious company. :Lfile_000-jpg.122569.jpg

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And except for the scholarship kids, you have a pay an ASSLOAD for your kid to go there. No thanks

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

r*pe scandal
Branch Davidian massacre
Basketball murder
biker shootout

And all of that in the last two decades. It isn't like you are going back to ancient history to find bad stuff, it all happened in the ages where current parents of HS students can vividly remember this crap.

Some of the absurd rumors I've heard is the Big12 could kick the school out. less than 0% chance that happens, but that's how bad things are in Waco right now.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all of that in the last two decades. It isn't like you are going back to ancient history to find bad stuff, it all happened in the ages where current parents of HS students can vividly remember this crap.

Some of the absurd rumors I've heard is the Big12 could kick the school out. less than 0% chance that happens, but that's how bad things are in Waco right now.

They'd replace them with Houston, but the Big12 doesn't need any more Texas schools, that's the real problem with the conference.

Baylor really should consider not playing football this year, but that won't happen either.

I'm just baffled at how they keep making bad decision after bad decision.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, they do have a history and legacy. The problem is that it is not a positive one.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And except for the scholarship kids, you have a pay an ASSLOAD for your kid to go there. No thanks
Don't know what has happened recently, but I have personal experience with this. The difference in costs between private and public isn't as big a financial burden as it used to be. (My brother in law is a Baylor grad and my wife graduated from Southwest Texas..now Texas State. Back then, the difference was huge according to my in-laws.)

Sent two daughters to school back in the late 90s/early 2000s. One to a private school with tuition similar to Baylor. (Hardin Simmons) The other to Texas State. In 2003 after the Texas Legislature decided to deregulate tuition (due to reduced state funding) and let the state universities charge what they wanted, the difference between the cost of private and public narrowed dramatically. By the time the last one got out of Texas State, it was actually real close to the same.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Grobe sort through the players left on the roster after the diaspora, recruit who he can, plug in walk ons as needed, and coach the team than can be fielded. Baylor 2016.