• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 18 game season

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the league's rosters probably need to expand a couple of spots every time they add a game.
That makes sense. Two more games added means more injuries. I am not sure if we saw more injuries this year but it does seem like it especially to QB’s

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love watching football and all, but I think they need to stop adding more games. It's very bad for the players' health.

Sipping Tea Time GIF

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season needs to go back to conditioning and training. It’s become nothing but a way of forcing season ticket holders to buy expensive tickets for games that don't count that are played by guys who will never make the team, while the league forces the teams to drop home games in favor of something played on another continent that costs thousands to get to.

There aren't enough NFL-class players now. Adding games and adding bottom-feeders to rosters isn't going to create more players. It’s going to create more rich cripples.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season needs to go back to conditioning and training. It’s become nothing but a way of forcing season ticket holders to buy expensive tickets for games that don't count that are played by guys who will never make the team, while the league forces the teams to drop home games in favor of something played on another continent that costs thousands to get to.

There aren't enough NFL-class players now. Adding games and adding bottom-feeders to rosters isn't going to create more players. It’s going to create more rich cripples.
Yep if they add another game that means either shortening preseason even more or just getting rid of it

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing we should of all seen coming
I think 18 game seasons would be fine. add some more spots to the reserves & upgrade the cap (if need be)
But
Make all players that arent the kicker, punter, or long snapper to only be allowed to play in 16 games. That would protect the players health even more. 2 games they have to sit, plus a bye week throughout the season. NFLPA wouldnt be able to use player health as a reason in this scenario.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio said there is a “lingering sense” that the NFL still wants to get to 18 regular-season games.”
The league made the leap to a 17-game season in 2021 but could soon be pushing to add an 18th game. As Florio points out in his article, an 18th game “likely won’t come until the next labor deal,” but his “first hint” of the possibility came when Browns GM Andrew Berry mentioned the Browns and other teams are proposing delaying the trade deadline by two weeks in anticipation of an 18th game being added. The current CBA isn’t set to expire until March 2030, so this isn’t expected to happen anytime soon, but it sounds like the league adding an extra game is all but a done deal — even if years away.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the league's rosters probably need to expand a couple of spots every time they add a game.
Paying more players full salary to be in street clothes through the early part of the season would be the wrong thing to do. Teams don't need a bigger game day roster. Teams need more players on the practice squads and greater ability to promote/relegate them on/off the main roster as needed. If anything a smaller game day roster with a secondary ST-only/4th down game day roster would be preferable. That might prevent some valuable back-ups from getting hurt on ST plays.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18 games will work if you give out 2 bye weeks, expand rosters by 6 to 7 more players and push back the trade deadline.
Cut preseason to 2 games.
The system works by adding one more game.

But in my view, we should STOP adding more games. It is bad for the health of the players and hurts the quality of the rosters. They should already have two bye weeks. Adding one more game, only increases the demand for at least two bye weeks and expanding the roster to include more backups. It's a big win for corporations, but not so much for the players.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18 games will work if you give out 2 bye weeks, expand rosters by 6 to 7 more players and push back the trade deadline.
Cut preseason to 2 games.

I agree with this. 2 preseason games, 2 bye weeks and add additional roster spots. I also believe they should make the bye weeks a 4 week affair. IE 4 divisions off week 6 and 12 and 4 other divisions off weeks 7 and 13. Something along those lines would probably be a more competitive balance as opposed to what they have now. For the additional roster spots, they could give teams the ability to protect several of their practice squad players and make it easier to move them in and out of the active roster. Preseason isn't as much of a big deal as it was back in the day, teams have been playing the lower part of their camp players and younger guys that need reps for years, so that wouldn't hurt anybody's feelings as far as I can tell. I do not see any of this happening until the next CBA is agreed on, so it will be a while.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
59 starting QBs by week 16 last season.

That's a lot of garbage for fans to watch.

The taylor swift fans can't tell the difference so it doesn't matter about the quality of the product.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. Stop going overseas, just hitch your wagons to the Swifty Express and you will be a global sport anyways.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
need to push for 40 game season imo
LOL

I know you are kidding, but geez, then it just becomes like all these other sports that I get bored of a month into the season because I have already watched 25+ games. Football stays interesting because of the few amount of games they play. Everything counts so much more.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 18 game seasons would be fine. add some more spots to the reserves & upgrade the cap (if need be)
But
Make all players that arent the kicker, punter, or long snapper to only be allowed to play in 16 games. That would protect the players health even more. 2 games they have to sit, plus a bye week throughout the season. NFLPA wouldnt be able to use player health as a reason in this scenario.
They are already upgrading cap, and you know the next deal is going to cost tv providers a ton in 2030. The stars are not the issue here with an 18th game. They are getting compensated and compensated well. It is the rookie deal guys, the starters who are not stars playing 18 games plus playoffs for a couple million dollars. These are the guys risking the future.