• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn

Second massive flood in 2 years for this area. It's one of my favorite places to go when I go there. My Grandmother's sister (Great aunt I guess?) had a house there. My mom's cousins grew up there. My wife has a cousin who had a house there until the last flood.

One of my cousins lives about 10ish miles from there and her basement has water that is up to knee height right now. And they've been pumping for three hours.

Stay safe, Comeds
'No words to describe the devastation' after Ellicott City flooding in Maryland

Hope all is ok.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after the waters have receded and everyone is safe,
remind me to make a joke about you movin' with your Auntie and Uncle.

Everyone was rescued safely from the state park near me. Some kids were out on rocks usually well about the water when the waters really started rising.E3775586-05AA-42D4-95F3-04F1BF092B57.jpeg

I saw that it was closed and wondered how close that was to you. From a picture someone posted I was gussing it was the low part down the hill from where Rt 43 goes under.

That's what my niece always called Mrs 43 and I.

(we lived in Bel Air. or "Blair" to the locals)

Yep, exactly where it was.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone was rescued safely from the state park near me. Some kids were out on rocks usually well about the water when the waters really started rising.View attachment 180033

Yep, exactly where it was.
Glad everyone was ok. Seeing those pictures post, it shows you don't mess around. Too bad too many folks don't heed warnings.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad too many folks don't heed warnings.

Some people don't get the chance. The Ellicott City floods both happened very fast. There's a housing development up at the top of the hill and it's becoming apparent that the construction of that messed with the drainage and runoff. By some accounts it was less than fifteen minutes between the first water running down and cars being carried off.

ellicottcityflowgraphic.jpg

It turns the main street into a canyon feeding water to the river at the bottom of Lower Main Street. It's gonna keep happening.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad everyone was ok. Seeing those pictures post, it shows you don't mess around. Too bad too many folks don't heed warnings.

Its hard no to feel that way but some of the ones at Gunpowder State park near me happen really fast. There were alerts a couple hours before so the kids should have known better, but for all I know they may have been there when the alerts went out.

A couple years ago a girl was sunbathing on big rocks way out of the water (normally - might be the same spot as Sunday) when out of nowhere it flooded really quickly. They had to lower a basket from a helicopter and lift her out. Thats tricky there because its a little valley with not much room.

I am not sure how they got the kids out the other day.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to hear you are okay comeds, some of the video I saw was very scary.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, the Canadian federal government is in the pipeline business.

Liberal government to buy Trans Mountain pipeline for $4.5B | CBC News
Because this is now a government construction project expect this price to quintuple.

I wonder what refining facilities could be built right in Alberta for $4.5B. I've always felt that the ratio of export to refining was way too. Why can't we find a way to make more of this primary resource in terms of jobs?
I guess the logic is there aren't enough customers close to Alberta to make refining there make sense, and the cost of a pipeline across Canada to Ontario/Quebec combined with the cost of new refineries in those locations isn't economically viable compared with just piping the tar down to the US and back refined.

Of course, Trans-Mountain is about getting the stuff to Asia from what I'm understanding so this would be a different subject.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because this is now a government construction project expect this price to quintuple.

Yeah, I don't think this is going to have much effect as far as those protesting the pipeline are concerned, I wonder if they realize that all these delays are likely just going to mean more increased taxation for all Canadians now that Trans-Mountain is essentially owned by you and me and 36 million other Canadians.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what refining facilities could be built right in Alberta for $4.5B. I've always felt that the ratio of export to refining was way too. Why can't we find a way to make more of this primary resource in terms of jobs?

When your friendly neighbor to the South leads the world in refining, why question a system that isn't broke?

Just keep shipping those oil barrels down and throw in a barrel of the good stuff (syrup) every once in awhile to grease the skids. ;)

Someone famous once said "trade wars are easy to win," but he was misquoted. The full quote is "trade wars are easy to win... with 100% real maple syrup."

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When your friendly neighbor to the South leads the world in refining, why question a system that isn't broke?

Just keep shipping those oil barrels down and throw in a barrel of the good stuff (syrup) every once in awhile to grease the skids. ;)

Someone famous once said "trade wars are easy to win," but he was misquoted. The full quote is "trade wars are easy to win... with 100% real maple syrup."

Sorry, the best we can do is 75% real maple syrup, tariff is getting the other 25%

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status
Not open for further replies.