• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Arena Hansen

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

Can you imagine the traffic on a Tuesday night on Mercer/Denny if there is a Basketball game/Hockey game at Key Arena, it's a disaster now with nothing going on there. They can't possibly consider this as a viable option.

Which is the one argument I've never understood. Traffic and parking were a complete nightmare before, there isn't room for a new parking garage unless they for some reason are considering demolishing Memorial Stadium. It's just common sense that attempting any renovation of Key Arena to make it a viable arena for the long term of a NHL team is going to cost the citizens more than a privately funded arena.

I get the council is looking out for their interest since they own Key Arena but they just passed up on owning the Hansen arena and most importantly the land around it, which would have sprung up some new bars, clubs and possibly a hotel or two that the city could've charged rent. I just don't get the economics of it, what makes more money for the city, rent and taxes or just taxes?

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, the NHL is interested in Seattle, but only if the NHL team comes packaged with a new arena for hockey and basketball combined.
As far as basketball goes, been there had that, but hell, whatever it takes.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if any of you hit the mayors interview this morning but man he sounds like a jaded little school girl. With him as mayor and the current female council members there doesn't seem like a prayer this arena no matter how much better of a deal Hansen proposes.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if any of you hit the mayors interview this morning but man he sounds like a jaded little school girl. With him as mayor and the current female council members there doesn't seem like a prayer this arena no matter how much better of a deal Hansen proposes.

So freaking stupid! This new arena will provide jobs all year round, bring in a tremendous amount of money to the local businesses and becomes a 4 for 4 city in professional sports. Yes your traffic is horrendous but who cares, all major cities have bad traffic.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So freaking stupid! This new arena will provide jobs all year round, bring in a tremendous amount of money to the local businesses and becomes a 4 for 4 city in professional sports. Yes your traffic is horrendous but who cares, all major cities have bad traffic.

I just hate the lame excuses, especially the two he brought up. The Key Arena is just an excuse, he is right that it is their asset but they have had 9 years to figure something out and haven't even attempted to make it viable for anything, it's not longer the number 1 place artists want to go, the NCAA would rather go to Spokane instead of the Key. Then the other was the lame excuses of the way council people were talked about. People say stupid shit, don't say all people that want the arena built are acting like Trump. People get mad when they are treating people like idiots.

I guess it's that the politicians need to just treat people like grown ups and tell the truth. All Murray has to say is that if I fight for the Hansen group the Port will spend more money for his opponent when he runs for reelection.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate the lame excuses, especially the two he brought up. The Key Arena is just an excuse, he is right that it is their asset but they have had 9 years to figure something out and haven't even attempted to make it viable for anything, it's not longer the number 1 place artists want to go, the NCAA would rather go to Spokane instead of the Key. Then the other was the lame excuses of the way council people were talked about. People say stupid shit, don't say all people that want the arena built are acting like Trump. People get mad when they are treating people like idiots.

I guess it's that the politicians need to just treat people like grown ups and tell the truth. All Murray has to say is that if I fight for the Hansen group the Port will spend more money for his opponent when he runs for reelection.

Can you send me some links? I would like to read more about it. Thank you! :suds:

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've given up on seeing seeing basketball in Seattle ever again. The incompetence of the mayor and city council is so great, it can't can't even be quantified.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've given up on seeing seeing basketball in Seattle ever again. The incompetence of the mayor and city council is so great, it can't can't even be quantified.
Vote for McGinn and those problems may go away.....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They do seem determined to kill any hope.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not giving up on the thought of seeing the Sonics in Seattle again, but with every attempt city leaders make to convince everyone that Key Arena is the only viable option when they've been presented with a pretty well thought out alternative by Chris Hansen, the less likely I think it is that we'll see pro basketball or pro hockey in Seattle within the next decade.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Hansen: I'll fully fund an arena in Sodo.
Everyone else: We want public funding.
Politicians: Ooh, the second option seems like a better deal!!!!!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not giving up on the thought of seeing the Sonics in Seattle again, but with every attempt city leaders make to convince everyone that Key Arena is the only viable option when they've been presented with a pretty well thought out alternative by Chris Hansen, the less likely I think it is that we'll see pro basketball or pro hockey in Seattle within the next decade.

The city leaders are so focused on trying to make Key Arena viable, that their killing the more practical choice that Chris Hansen presents. Pretty frustrating, to say the least.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

City leaders want to be able to keep their hand in the cookie jar, but with Hansen fully funding the project the cookies becomes less to pick from. It's really a shame cause Seattle is a basketball town and I think the NHL would prosper as well.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
City leaders want to be able to keep their hand in the cookie jar, but with Hansen fully funding the project the cookies becomes less to pick from. It's really a shame cause Seattle is a basketball town and I think the NHL would prosper as well.
Seattle used to be a basketball town, back when the Hawks were terrible and you had GP, Reign Man, et al to cheer for in the Key. Not sure those days are coming back any time soon. I think this place would be a baseball town sooner than basketball. Now, could they support the Sonics again enough to bring a team here and keep it? Yeah, probably. The demographics of NBA fans is pretty interesting though. I loved the NBA 15-20 years ago, but I'm 45 now and my sports entertainment dollars aren't going back to that sport ahead of NFL, MLB, or even NHL.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle used to be a basketball town, back when the Hawks were terrible and you had GP, Reign Man, et al to cheer for in the Key. Not sure those days are coming back any time soon. I think this place would be a baseball town sooner than basketball. Now, could they support the Sonics again enough to bring a team here and keep it? Yeah, probably. The demographics of NBA fans is pretty interesting though. I loved the NBA 15-20 years ago, but I'm 45 now and my sports entertainment dollars aren't going back to that sport ahead of NFL, MLB, or even NHL.

The remark about being 45 made me think. I use to be interested in so many types of sports when younger, now it's narrowed down to NFL football for the most part.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't expect there to be much fan crossover between these two sports, but I think the Sounders picked up a bunch of Sonics fans looking to support a third pro team in the city. It makes sense in that the two seasons overlap each other for the most part.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya. Difficult to put money into a product when it was ripped away from you and the commish encouraged it to happen. I had the Sixers to fall back on which isn't saying much in the recent years but I would feel the same way if the league took away the Sixers and with Sonics long gone I too wouldn't put another penny into the NBA.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. Difficult to put money into a product when it was ripped away from you and the commish encouraged it to happen. I had the Sixers to fall back on which isn't saying much in the recent years but I would feel the same way if the league took away the Sixers and with Sonics long gone I too wouldn't put another penny into the NBA.
Yeah, and I also just sorta feel like I'm "too old" or have outgrown the NBA. It's been increasingly difficult to connect with or relate to the players as I got into my mid-late 30s. Not having a team to cheer for probably contributes to that, but that antics of some of these guys....like the COACH of I think it was Toronto the other night with his weird tantrum during the press conference. He was acting like some sort of rapper or something. wth. It's just not my style, and if the Sonics do come back I'll probably go to a game or 2 each season but I don't think I'll be excited for it like I used to be. I would be pumped and jacked for NHL though.