• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Arena Hansen

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a step in the right direction. I don't think it ever had a realistic chance of happening if they'd insisted on using any public money. It also helps their case that they're willing to partially pay for a Lander St. overpass. I could still see the city council and Port of Seattle having an issue with the proposed location even with these concessions, but it's a step in the right direction in my mind.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Hansen offers to forgo public financing for Seattle Arena

Haven't heard anything about this for a long time and thought maybe the whole thing had fallen though. Not that excited by the NBA but Hockey would be great.

An Arena won't work unless there are also NBA games to draw crowds.

What are the other conditions of this offer? Does he want tax-exemptions for 25 years? Does he want to cut off a major transportation artery from the Port of Seattle for parking and concessions?

I don't trust that guy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hansen offered the best offer in the history of modern sports, this is another astounding offer but the city cost themselves millions of dollars by not accepting the original offer. Ya, it will be privately financed but now the city will never own the arena or left over land from Hansen.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An Arena won't work unless there are also NBA games to draw crowds.

What are the other conditions of this offer? Does he want tax-exemptions for 25 years? Does he want to cut off a major transportation artery from the Port of Seattle for parking and concessions?

I don't trust that guy.

2012: Seattle council agree on an MOU where Hansen pays $300 million and the public provides bonds for $200 million. The anti-public nuts explode and eventually got the council to basically kill the deal in 2016.

2016: Hansen's group is now funding the COMPLETE arena and you don't trust the guy? What more does this man to do to show is commitment to get this done?

However, you have friends. The P.O.S. thinks the whole town is wired to their ass. The M's don't want an arena to be put in the STADIUM DISTRICT because it competes with them.

However, I will say that Hansen has an agenda and it is not hidden....... He wants to make $$$ being the owner of an NBA team.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hansen offered the best offer in the history of modern sports, this is another astounding offer but the city cost themselves millions of dollars by not accepting the original offer. Ya, it will be privately financed but now the city will never own the arena or left over land from Hansen.
:agree:

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016: Hansen's group is now funding the COMPLETE arena and you don't trust the guy? What more does this man to do to show is commitment to get this done?

We don't have all of the details of this all-private financing option before us, do we?

I bet he wants tax exemptions and building permits in exchange for not asking for public funds.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The P.O.S. thinks the whole town is wired to their ass.

For outsiders: P.O.S. = Port of Seattle.

Its a major port, 1-2 days closer to Asia than L.A.
I think its the number 3 port in the USA.

Port of Seattle has legitimate concerns about putting this clusterfuck right in the middle of a major outbound artery from the port.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have all of the details of this all-private financing option before us, do we?

I bet he wants tax exemptions and building permits in exchange for not asking for public funds.

On your first sentence, you are absolutely correct. Your second sentence is speculation. Fine. I will stay optimistic for now.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont care, nba should die

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as for the other teams' owners who are objecting over this new arena business, I'm sure Chris Hansen only has one thing to say:

"Why don't you just take a seat, right over there."

(Oh, wait, wrong guy...)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For outsiders: P.O.S. = Port of Seattle.

Its a major port, 1-2 days closer to Asia than L.A.
I think its the number 3 port in the USA.

Port of Seattle has legitimate concerns about putting this clusterfuck right in the middle of a major outbound artery from the port.

Of course he is going to want tax exceptions, that's what all business' do. You don't think the State of Washington gave Boeing a shit load of exceptions to keep the manufacturing of the dreamliner for the most part on the state not SC.

And no, the Port has zero legitimate concerns. We get it, they got hosed two decades ago when Seattle screwed the pooch with the Sonics/Mariners fiasco but they have money and influence and the only time they have used it, is now. Their traffic concerns are ridiculous seeing as how NBA and NHL games for the most parts at night and the leagues have flexible schedules.

And had they any true concerns about traffic they could've tried back when the voters approved Safeco and CenturyLink and especially fight for the left over tax pie from when Safeco was paid off early. The ports only thing is their management are lazy, whiney d bags, who instead of putting their money where their mouth is about the traffic problems they spend millions of dollars in fighting against the arena and fighting the Port of Tacoma.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course he is going to want tax exceptions, that's what all business' do. You don't think the State of Washington gave Boeing a shit load of exceptions to keep the manufacturing of the dreamliner for the most part on the state not SC.

And no, the Port has zero legitimate concerns. We get it, they got hosed two decades ago when Seattle screwed the pooch with the Sonics/Mariners fiasco but they have money and influence and the only time they have used it, is now. Their traffic concerns are ridiculous seeing as how NBA and NHL games for the most parts at night and the leagues have flexible schedules.

And had they any true concerns about traffic they could've tried back when the voters approved Safeco and CenturyLink and especially fight for the left over tax pie from when Safeco was paid off early. The ports only thing is their management are lazy, whiney d bags, who instead of putting their money where their mouth is about the traffic problems they spend millions of dollars in fighting against the arena and fighting the Port of Tacoma.

Thanks, Chris. Your concerns are noted.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, do I wish I was Chris. Seriously though, how does it benefit the taxpayers of Seattle that now the city will never own the arena so won't make anything besides taxes off things. No rent, no parking, can't use the extra land for arts and the things that was in the MOU that Hansen and crew had to build. The Port of Seattle management can take a long walk off their short piers. Those self serving ass wipes haven't helped traffic out at all and in good faith of the subsidies, that is their duty. I just don't understand how anyone could feel sorry for the Port of Seattle when they have spent more money in the past years on fighting the arena and the Port of Tacoma than they have in the two decades since they got shafted by the city.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah? And? What's wrong with asking for compensation? Most large businesses do these days. And in this case adding the arena, and more importantly the extra shops and businesses around it, would themselves produce more tax revenue for the city whether or not the Arena pays full price.

If he's willing to forgo the public/private partnership, why on earth wouldn't it be fair to get compensated for letting go of that already agreed on deal to take on that extra level of burden and risk?

Looks like you have an agenda in how you view this deal just as much as the Port does. Maybe you have been reading too much of Geoff Baker's bullshit.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a outsider that views the NHL. This is interesting.

If i may.

For the past 2 years. Everything that the media (TSN, CBC and SPORTSNET) have been talking about as regards to team movement is Expansion and Vegas. The NHL approved it during the summer(June or July). Nothing from Glendale, nothing from Miami, nothing from Columbus or Raligeh. All about Vegas( and Quebec city but they lost out)

Interesting counterpoint and i'll ask for @Destroydacre to back me up. The last time NHL did expansion. 4 teams came one per year for 4 years. (Minnesota Wild, Atlanta Thrashers(now Winnipeg Jets), Nashville Predators and Columbus Blue Jackets) so something to keep in mind. Ill provide a divisional breakdown later

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah? And? What's wrong with asking for compensation? Most large businesses do these days. And in this case adding the arena, and more importantly the extra shops and businesses around it, would themselves produce more tax revenue for the city whether or not the Arena pays full price.

If he's willing to forgo the public/private partnership, why on earth wouldn't it be fair to get compensated for letting go of that already agreed on deal to take on that extra level of burden and risk?

Looks like you have an agenda in how you view this deal just as much as the Port does. Maybe you have been reading too much of Geoff Baker's bullshit.

There are 4 things that the council could use as a out even though they'd be retarded and have already been paid by the Port.

A. The location will cause damage to the waterfront which is vital for middle class jobs...which Hansen has proposed to close the gap. And the Port management is still butt hurt and instead of working for a compromise they will fight until the end. They drew a line in the sand and they can't show "perceived" weakness to the unions.

B. The death of Key Arena which in the original MOU the group would take care of until they recouped their money back and became tenants of the new arena.

C. The city gets shafted in a way where now they could no longer own the stadium or surrounding property that Hansen has bought which they forced him to use it for arts and other political ventures to make Seattle a liberal heaven and one up California which they have tried for decades.

D. Most importantly, without promises from the two leagues, which in no way will happen by the time the next vote could possibly happen. The 5 dissenters could theatrically object to a vote since they already voted no and legally nothing has changed from their voting it down. None of their objections were met, no team, the overpass hasn't even started or remotely funded and there is no solution the Seattle Center dilemma their predecessors caused by giving the finger to Howard Schultz and the NBA to begin and to the NHL when the Ackerley's owned the team and made the Key too small for the NHL.

If ST3 passes the city council has zero grounds to stand on, but since that bill is horrible for everyone who doesn't work in Seattle it will most likely be very closely defeated and then the dissenters will try and negotiated the Hansen group dry.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, the NHL is interested in Seattle, but only if the NHL team comes packaged with a new arena for hockey and basketball combined.