• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2018 offseason thread

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely the outlier. It's much more common that the first one is off the board in the top handful of picks, and top 10 the vast majority of drafts. I have no idea how strong of a class it is this year, but I think I saw today that Mayock's top OL is a G from ND...so who knows.

And I'm not even PRETENDING I'm a draft expert, I don't follow college FB at all. Just going on the 'if there's a surprise run on CB's' school of thinking where a talented guy maybe slips.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm not even PRETENDING I'm a draft expert, I don't follow college FB at all. Just going on the 'if there's a surprise run on CB's' school of thinking where a talented guy maybe slips.

Well. The upcoming class is loaded with Future QB's. It reminds me with tbe one a few years back with Carr and and Garrapollo.

Few good OL

A game Changing Edge Rusher and RB.

Few good DB's.

Any other questions?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. The upcoming class is loaded with Future QB's. It reminds me with tbe one a few years back with Carr and and Garrapollo.

Few good OL

A game Changing Edge Rusher and RB.

Few good DB's.

Any other questions?
Nope, I like to just watch em' when they get to the NFL. East Appalachian State? Don't care.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I like to just watch em' when they get to the NFL. East Appalachian State? Don't care.

Your a little like me than. I watch ND and night ABC games ( as well as odd SEC or Fox game).

If you have talent. I don't give a flipping fuck if you play for Flordia or South Florida

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts are rolling into the season with Chris Carter and Chris Ivory? I'd prefer to sign a guy like Chris Ivory rather than spend a pick on a RB in the first 5 rounds... If we could land a guy like Ivory to share the load with Carter, then i'd rather draft DL, LB, DB, OL, WR than use a top 5 round pick on a RB... Prosise could still surprise us...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Bennett, Sherman and Earl are all on the table .... I think Pete and John are trying to stock up on some draft picks... Earl obviously would give us the most at this point, Bennett I don't think we'd get a lot for ... Sherman I think we should keep honestly, I think with his style of play it's never been about speed but rather technique and really good awareness, he still has some good years left...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Bennett, Sherman and Earl are all on the table .... I think Pete and John are trying to stock up on some draft picks... Earl obviously would give us the most at this point, Bennett I don't think we'd get a lot for ... Sherman I think we should keep honestly, I think with his style of play it's never been about speed but rather technique and really good awareness, he still has some good years left...
I heard lots of talk yesterday about MB being shopped but nothing about Sherm.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard lots of talk yesterday about MB being shopped but nothing about Sherm.

Same... I heard that they're looking at signing Thomas to a possible extension and that they're shopping Bennett... Haven't heard anything about Sherman being shopped... I've heard Schneider say that "No player is immune to trade Talks"... "You don't want to miss out on an opportunity..." That doesn't mean that we're shopping Earl, Sherman and Bennett...

Bennett is being shopped because he's more than likely going to be cut... Hawks could probably get at least a 6th or 7th rounder for him if they end up trading him... Better than just cutting him... The "Out Clause" in his contract gives the Hawks the ability to do so...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Hawks will be that aggressive in Free Agency... I see them limiting their signings due to the fact of trying to gain comp picks in 2019... Graham, P. Richardson, McDougald, Joeckle, will not be retained, imo... I believe they'll work on S Rich and E Thomas extension... Letting the (4) go via FA could net them some pretty nice comp picks next year... It's about stock piling draft picks at this point in '18/'19, imo... It's something this team needs to do since teams are basically built through the draft...

Gaining comp picks next season will mean that the Hawks would have to be very lean via Free Agency... I don't see them aggressive at all... The players I could see them aggressively pursuing would be players that get cut from other teams... If you sign a player that has been cut from another team, it doesn't affect the opportunity to gain a comp pick... If we sign FA that have expired contracts, it will wash away one of our comp picks in '19...

For example, letting P.Rich get signed by another team could net us a 4th or 5th round comp pick in '19 but if we end up signing a player a UFA, we would not get this comp pick... But if we signed a player that was cut from another team, we would retain that pick, which is why I like the idea of signing a guy like Chris Ivory (if he's cut) rather than drafting a RB due to our limited draft picks in the first 3 rounds this year... Even if we did trade down, it wouldn't be enough picks to spend on a RB, imo...

I would like us to see Graham, P.Rich, Joeckel, walk... We could end up getting 3 comp picks next year if we don't actively sign UFA's this year... I can also see us trading down this year to accumulate picks in '18/'19, not just this year... Next year is going to be the pivotal year in building our team for another sustainable run...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Hawks will be that aggressive in Free Agency... I see them limiting their signings due to the fact of trying to gain comp picks in 2019... Graham, P. Richardson, McDougald, Joeckle, will not be retained, imo...

Surprised that you list McDougald as a guy you don't want to see back. I actually think he's a near must-sign when you consider Kam's health and ET's uncertain future. McDougald can play both positions, and I thought he had a really good season in '17. We also don't really know yet what we have in Tedric Thompson or Delano Hill. If those 2 youngsters have to start by default because Kam retires and ET is traded, I think the back end of our defense could be a big weakness due to inexperience.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts are rolling into the season with Chris Carter and Chris Ivory? I'd prefer to sign a guy like Chris Ivory rather than spend a pick on a RB in the first 5 rounds... If we could land a guy like Ivory to share the load with Carter, then i'd rather draft DL, LB, DB, OL, WR than use a top 5 round pick on a RB... Prosise could still surprise us...
Who is Chris Carter? Do you mean Carson?

I saw Johnathan Stewart got released as well. Timberline high school down here in Lacey. He's 30 but still pretty solid.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gaining comp picks next season will mean that the Hawks would have to be very lean via Free Agency... I don't see them aggressive at all... The players I could see them aggressively pursuing would be players that get cut from other teams... If you sign a player that has been cut from another team, it doesn't affect the opportunity to gain a comp pick... If we sign FA that have expired contracts, it will wash away one of our comp picks in '19...

For example, letting P.Rich get signed by another team could net us a 4th or 5th round comp pick in '19 but if we end up signing a player a UFA, we would not get this comp pick... But if we signed a player that was cut from another team, we would retain that pick, which is why I like the idea of signing a guy like Chris Ivory (if he's cut) rather than drafting a RB due to our limited draft picks in the first 3 rounds this year... Even if we did trade down, it wouldn't be enough picks to spend on a RB, imo...
I could be wrong, but I think the comp pick formula considers both what you gained and what you lost, and it's not a 1 for 1 thing. Contract value is a factor as well. For example, if we sign a guy for $2M a year but one of our UFAs signs elsewhere for $12M a year, we are going to get some sort of comp pick because of the contract value difference even though we gained as much as we lost.

I do agree we could have some decent comp picks coming out way in '19 and '20. It's also why I think letting ET play out his current deal and walk may not be the worst move.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That just doesn't provide evidence that the team is shopping Richard Sherman.

They shopped him last year, not sure why suddenly he's unshoppable .. John said specifically anything is on the table to attempt to make the team better, I don't think letting Sherman go would make the team better, or Earl for that matter, but it's looking like they want to stock some draft picks, so don't be surprised if some BIG moves happen ...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They shopped him last year, not sure why suddenly he's unshoppable .. John said specifically anything is on the table to attempt to make the team better, I don't think letting Sherman go would make the team better, or Earl for that matter, but it's looking like they want to stock some draft picks, so don't be surprised if some BIG moves happen ...
I am not saying Sherman is unshoppable, but even Ray Charles could see the difference in the Sherman situation now vs a year ago. I just don't see evidence that says we are shopping Richard Sherman specifically. General statements from our GM don't mean a whole lot. "Something will happen" isn't exactly all that telling either.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is being shopped because he's more than likely going to be cut... Hawks could probably get at least a 6th or 7th rounder for him if they end up trading him...Better than just cutting him... The "Out Clause" in his contract gives the Hawks the ability to do so...
Yeah, seems like fairly standard playbook when teams know they are about to cut a player. You see if you can get something vs nothing, but of course other teams know you're cutting him so that downgrades value a bit. I heard that Atlanta may be interested. Not exactly sure what you mean by the out-clause regarding MB. He is signed through 2020, but he's due a roster bonus of $4M on the 14th. If the Hawks don't plan on bringing him back, they'll trade or cut him before the bonus comes due. Cutting him now saves $2.2M against the cap, which isn't a ton but enough to sign a role player...or it goes into what we need to make available to keep other UFAs.

I would like us to see Graham, P.Rich, Joeckel, walk... We could end up getting 3 comp picks next year if we don't actively sign UFA's this year... I can also see us trading down this year to accumulate picks in '18/'19, not just this year... Next year is going to be the pivotal year in building our team for another sustainable run...

I agree with those 3 not being important to bring back. Jimmy is a good player, and I definitely wouldn't agree it was a bad trade, but the fit is probably not good enough for the market price. If he's a $8M per year guy, take half that and re-sign Luke W and use the rest on another priority. I just hope Graham doesn't end up in GB or LA. P-Rich didn't really end up being the player I hoped, though he's "good" just not a game changing type guy often enough. Gotta think some team out there will believe they can get a lot more out of him though, and with Lockett a year away from free agency, we probably have to decide now which of those 2 we want because I cannot see paying both. Joeckel just straight up wasn't worth the money. I feel Pocic could step in right now and be at least as good for a fraction of the price.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying Sherman is unshoppable, but even Ray Charles could see the difference in the Sherman situation now vs a year ago. I just don't see evidence that says we are shopping Richard Sherman specifically. General statements from our GM don't mean a whole lot. "Something will happen" isn't exactly all that telling either.

Gotcha .... I think John is gonna make some serious moves though, I just hope it doesn't include Richard, I like that guy's heart on the field, he battles... Same with Earl, but right now it sure seems like Earl wants out with his actions lately....

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised that you list McDougald as a guy you don't want to see back. I actually think he's a near must-sign when you consider Kam's health and ET's uncertain future. McDougald can play both positions, and I thought he had a really good season in '17. We also don't really know yet what we have in Tedric Thompson or Delano Hill. If those 2 youngsters have to start by default because Kam retires and ET is traded, I think the back end of our defense could be a big weakness due to inexperience.

I liked what I saw of McDougald too.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never said I wouldn't want him back... I just think the Hawks will let him walk and see what they have in their young guys... They'd get a comp pick for him next season... If Thompson or Hill panned out, then we wouldn't need to use a pick for that position and vice-versa... I think they'll keep Shead cuz he can play CB and Strong Safety and that would be another guy that could replace McDougald... I thought McDougald played very well... Just speaking on behalf of which way I could see the team going...