• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2018 offseason thread

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them trade back about three times to recover some picks.
This has to be the chalk pick, right? As it sits, standing pat with the 1.18 seems to be a huge underdog scenario. They tend to trend down out of that initial pick in most years, and that's even when they go into it with other picks behind. Now w/o a 2nd or 3rd, it just seems like a no-brainer that they'll slide back in order to get a few more darts to throw at the board.

So maybe a more interesting question is what will/should they do when they ultimately make their first selection?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has to be the chalk pick, right? As it sits, standing pat with the 1.18 seems to be a huge underdog scenario. They tend to trend down out of that initial pick in most years, and that's even when they go into it with other picks behind. Now w/o a 2nd or 3rd, it just seems like a no-brainer that they'll slide back in order to get a few more darts to throw at the board.

So maybe a more interesting question is what will/should they do when they ultimately make their first selection?

I see them trading to the back of the first and gain a couple of picks, then trade out of the first for another 2 picks then trade back to the middle or end of the second for a couple more picks then they choose from there.

Great question on what the FO should do. I'm thinking o-line since it was horrid last year but of course that would be too easy to predict so maybe LB or CB. Of course things can change once FA opens up and we see who gets cut, but I'll stick with this for now.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great question on what the FO should do. I'm thinking o-line since it was horrid last year but of course that would be too easy to predict so maybe LB or CB. Of course things can change once FA opens up and we see who gets cut, but I'll stick with this for now.
I think it's generally a good idea to continue to pick linemen on both sides simply because you play several of them of them at a time, they get hurt a lot, and they're either protecting or attacking the most important player on the field.

But I'm iffy on how much impact a rookie O-lineman can make -- seems like Hutchinson was the last one who was good right away for us. Using the top pick (whenever that is) on OL out of motivation from how bad the unit was last year is questionable to me. I think I would rather see the bigger free agent dollars be spent there, if we are to spend any.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DL early with Avril likely gone, Bennett either gone too or in his last year here, Richardson a FA (should know on him by draft day though), and Malik McDowell not a great bet to ever see the field. If this team has 0 of those 4 players heading into camp, I think that is a huge talent void on the D line.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you see a top-flight T available in the 1st, you probably take that guy for sure. LT's are always at a premium.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's generally a good idea to continue to pick linemen on both sides simply because you play several of them of them at a time, they get hurt a lot, and they're either protecting or attacking the most important player on the field.

But I'm iffy on how much impact a rookie O-lineman can make -- seems like Hutchinson was the last one who was good right away for us. Using the top pick (whenever that is) on OL out of motivation from how bad the unit was last year is questionable to me. I think I would rather see the bigger free agent dollars be spent there, if we are to spend any.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DL early with Avril likely gone, Bennett either gone too or in his last year here, Richardson a FA (should know on him by draft day though), and Malik McDowell not a great bet to ever see the field. If this team has 0 of those 4 players heading into camp, I think that is a huge talent void on the D line.

I'm iffy on rookie o-linemen as well but they'll be coached differently with Cable out of the picture and could possibly produce. There are some FA o-line guys so it's a good possibility they spend money on that spot then go D-line in the draft. There's so many ways the FO can go.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you see a top-flight T available in the 1st, you probably take that guy for sure. LT's are always at a premium.

That's a good possibility as well since a lot of teams are looking at QB's, WR's, CB's and D-line.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully expect Seattle to add to its 2018 draft pick stock (especially the currently non-existant Day 2 stock). Most likely it's from trading down with 1.18.

It could be from trading existing players (Sherman? Thomas?). If PCJS stay and pick at 1.18, I expect it's because they've done that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that's more or less a no-brainer, but I'm not sure that level of player lasts until pick 18. Could have a shot at one of the top guards in the class.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be from trading existing players (Sherman? Thomas?). If PCJS stay and pick at 1.18, I expect it's because they've done that.
I agree with that as a general sentiment, but I really think trading Sherman for anything substantial is probably not realistic. He's 30 in a month, coming off a ruptured Achilles, base salary of $11M, and he has a personality that may not work in all organizations. You put all that together and I think it anchors his trade value. I think he may be more valuable to Seattle by playing the 2018 season with the drive to get one more good payday. Right behind that, the next most value would probably be cutting him to save that $11M (which the depth chart may be able to overcome with how well Griffin looks, return of Shead, re-sign Maxwell, and the guy we got from NE whose name escapes me).

But ET? Yeah, I could see that one. He doesn't turn 29 until May, healthy, and he played as well as ever in '17. If he has 3 really great seasons left, then that's probably enough for some team out there to be willing to send something of relatively high value in return.

Who knows....fun to talk about though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I can agree that the Seahawks will surely trade down, but I can’t help but think of all the times they have shocked fans with the unexpected. So we shall see.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that's more or less a no-brainer, but I'm not sure that level of player lasts until pick 18. Could have a shot at one of the top guards in the class.

True... And I don't want to draft a prospect at LT when we already have a proven veteran at the LT position... That kind of player, "On Paper" isn't there at the 18 spot imo...

I feel like we have the horses already... I believe a new OL coach will get more productivity out of our existing OL...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, the first T didn't come off the board until pick 20.

Now who the heck knows if this year breaks that way too. I just think that if there's a difference maker at T available when we draft, then we take that player. If he plays a year or two at RT, so be it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can never predict what Seattle will do in the draft. I often miss the mark completely.

The logical thinking is Seattle trades back multiple times to acquire two seconds and two thirds.

A lot of this depends on what happens with Earl Thomas as well. There's quite a bit of rumors right now that Seattle is looking for a trade partner for him or Sherman. Sherman is a bit more difficult because of the past injury concern. Would have to think Thomas would get an early 2nd (Browns) and another later round pick. Sherman will probably net a 3rd.

They are worth more than that naturally but only a limited # of teams given cap situations and Thomas/Sherman's high cap impact can trade for them... so that cuts the demand heavily which of course reduces price.

Seattle apparently wants to keep Sheldon Richardson around, and to do so they'll have to offload some contracts. We drafted and even pursued a TON of secondary last year who didn't play bad. Seattle's pass rush is starting to suffer though since Avril/Bennett are getting older. IMO time to sell Earl/Sherman high. Don't make a Felix Hernandez mistake. Guarantee the Patriots would be shipping both Earl/Sherman out of here and focusing on the trenches and helping their QB...

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_mw2l7jcmsU1ra0ip1o2_250.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No surprise, hope it happens. Bennett lost a step last year. He's still a productive DE according to PFF but the discipline and locker room issues are IMO becoming a big distraction. This would likely mean resigning Richardson and if Jones can get healthy and MAYBE we get McDowell back (who is probably Bennett 2.0) things could work out well for us. Either way, I'd MUCH rather have Richardson over Bennett next year, and we need Bennett gone for that to even have a chance of happening.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett is a lying sack of shit, I can't wait until he's gone. Worthless POS.

Avril and Kam will both retire with their neck injuries.

Sherman needs to be traded or just cut already, and Thomas can go to the Cowboys for all I care.

None of these guys are any good and are all massively overpaid and full of drama. Good riddance.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh.

I love fans.

Holee-fucking-awesome.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, the first T didn't come off the board until pick 20.
Definitely the outlier. It's much more common that the first one is off the board in the top handful of picks, and top 10 the vast majority of drafts. I have no idea how strong of a class it is this year, but I think I saw today that Mayock's top OL is a G from ND...so who knows.