• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson wants the richest contract in NFL history

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Your worth whatever the market says your worth. Can't afford to lose your franchise QB, because it's just to hard to find the next one, it could take years.

It's really that simple. If you telling me that the only way to keep Wilson on the Seahawks is to pay him 22MM/year

OR

the alternative is letting him play through 2015, franchise tag in 2016, and let him walk after 2016 (when the franchise tag would be too much) while the Seahawks go after whichever free agent QBs are out there, then I'm going to vote for Wilson every time.

If that can be read as "I think he's worth 22MM," then yeah I guess I do.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Your worth whatever the market says your worth. Can't afford to lose your franchise QB, because it's just to hard to find the next one, it could take years.

Yea, it's kind of a catch 22 situation, but it will be interesting to see just how much the Hawks are willing to pay him at this point....
The SB win holds some clout and the return the following year too, but with only 3 years in, it's a toss of the dice for the team I would think....
I did hear that VY was planning a come back though..... :lol:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, it's kind of a catch 22 situation, but it will be interesting to see just how much the Hawks are willing to pay him at this point....
The SB win holds some clout and the return the following year too, but with only 3 years in, it's a toss of the dice for the team I would think....
I did hear that VY was planning a come back though..... :lol:
Flacco has some big cap hits down the road, I believe. What's your thoughts on that?

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will only be the biggest contract in history for a year, at most.

No doubt, I just find it absurd to pay any position the most money when they are not the best at that position.....
You know with that huge contract, other big time players will have to be replaced because those adjustments are inevitable with these kind of contracts, we have experienced it already and with a team friendly cap to boot on the first 2 years, it's been tough.....
It sets you back a year or 2 even with good management....Good luck, except against us of course !! :D

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco has some big cap hits down the road, I believe. What's your thoughts on that?

He knew going in that next year it has to be reworked, he wasn't even the highest paid player on the field until this his 3rd year in and not by much now, but next year it would balloon too high and has to be restructured...
He's a Raven for life though, I'd bet the farm on that....
The only really good qb we have ever had, he's pure gold around here....:nod:

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Wilson at 22MM/yr than Ryan Tannehill at 16MM/yr and definitely more than Cutler at 18MM/yr.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, I just find it absurd to pay any position the most money when they are not the best at that position.....
You know with that huge contract, other big time players will have to be replaced because those adjustments are inevitable with these kind of contracts, we have experienced it already and with a team friendly cap to boot on the first 2 years, it's been tough.....
It sets you back a year or 2 even with good management....Good luck, except against us of course !! :D
Flacco cap hit in 2016 is over $28 million, 2017 it over $31 million. Good luck with that, except when you play the Seahawks of course.:D

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco cap hit in 2016 is over $28 million, 2017 it over $31 million. Good luck with that, except when you play the Seahawks of course.:D

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the Seahawks put out a similar contract for Wilson as the Ravens did for Flacco. I could see them trying to backload it with the idea that in a few years they would restructure. Gives them still the cap room to operate with the team they have with the Super Bowl window at this point while also making Wilson happy.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually wouldn't surprise me if the Seahawks put out a similar contract for Wilson as the Ravens did for Flacco. I could see them trying to backload it with the idea that in a few years they would restructure. Gives them still the cap room to operate with the team they have with the Super Bowl window at this point while also making Wilson happy.

I don't think that's going to work. He wants to get paid for what he did the last 3 years. I know people have varying opinions of him but he's definitely the best QB on the Seahawks even though he's the 3rd highest paid on his own team. He's given at least 30 million worth of QB play (that's really conservative) for under 2 million in salary. I'd want it too.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be, but I think that's what they are trying not do. Just have to wait and see.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's going to work. He wants to get paid for what he did the last 3 years. I know people have varying opinions of him but he's definitely the best QB on the Seahawks even though he's the 3rd highest paid on his own team. He's given at least 30 million worth of QB play (that's really conservative) for under 2 million in salary. I'd want it too.

If you look at the contract for Flacco it is one where he did get paid very well. Yes his cap hits were low the first couple of years but he still received a very favorable signing bonus for his services. So essentially it was a team friendly deal in the sense of his cap hit stayed low for a couple of years while it was still player friendly in they received a nice signing bonus for their services. So while the cap hit might only say $7 million for the first year he would still be making closer to $22-25 million in actual money per year over the first 3 or so years.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll get an extension and all those numbers will be drastically changed....There's a number of ways to manage that and the guaranteed money, but I leave that to the experts.....
It has been well known in Bmore as the team has been open in telling us that Joe and the team plan to restructure at that point....So no biggie now, but the initial hit hurt...

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks 'have no desire' to meet Wilson's contract demands, team willing to 'play out the string' | Yardbarker.com

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Seahawks are willing to use the franchise tag after quarterback Russell Wilson's final year of his rookie contract is up at the end of the 2015 season.

The team has balked at the $20 million asking price and it has been reported that the club could tag Wilson in 2016 and 2017.

Wilson's frustration has shown up via cryptic tweets pointed at the organization and according to Cole 'it's highly unlikely' a deal get done this season, and the team is willing to play out the string.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet it gets done before TC.

Lambeau can jerk off to anonymous reports and hand-picked "cryptic" tweets until then in hopes that the Hawks fall apart.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knew going in that next year it has to be reworked, he wasn't even the highest paid player on the field until this his 3rd year in and not by much now, but next year it would balloon too high and has to be restructured...
He's a Raven for life though, I'd bet the farm on that....
The only really good qb we have ever had, he's pure gold around here....:nod:
I love when fans say this. You would be surprised what a few million dollars will do to one loyalty.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks 'have no desire' to meet Wilson's contract demands, team willing to 'play out the string' | Yardbarker.com

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the Seahawks are willing to use the franchise tag after quarterback Russell Wilson's final year of his rookie contract is up at the end of the 2015 season.

The team has balked at the $20 million asking price and it has been reported that the club could tag Wilson in 2016 and 2017.

Wilson's frustration has shown up via cryptic tweets pointed at the organization and according to Cole 'it's highly unlikely' a deal get done this season, and the team is willing to play out the string.
I could be wrong but, wouldn't tagging Wilson be a huge cap hit?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 2016, it would be a considerable hit. I don't know the numbers but they'll probably change anyway based on new QB contracts that haven't happened yet.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors that I have read feel the `16 cap hit will be about $20 mil and the `17 cap hit will be about $25 mil.
Assuming those #'s are close and figuring in RW's $1.5 in earnings this year, Seattle would have him for 2015-2017 for less than $50M. In today's market that is a value.
I doubt it goes that way though.