• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson wants the richest contract in NFL history

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I vaguely do, even if I didn't, I'd take your word for it. RW is special, but until he's in offense that gives him same chances to put up crazy numbers that Luck does, there no point of saying, that Wilson could do the same. Time will tell.

Wilson is not "allowed" to go crazy. He has been asked to turn it loose on occasion and shows what I remember from NC State.
Do you think any of the Green Bay guys will remember what he did at the end of the 4th quarter when the game was already lost and he just went for it?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is not "allowed" to go crazy. He has been asked to turn it loose on occasion and shows what I remember from NC State.
Do you think any of the Green Bay guys will remember what he did at the end of the 4th quarter when the game was already lost and he just went for it?
I'm sure they'll remember that, but let's not forget, before that.......worse day Wilson ever had IMO.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they'll remember that, but let's not forget, before that.......worse day Wilson ever had IMO.

Question: If you have a game plan that does not work for a QB and "he sucks" but you give up and say just go for it. When he is wildly successful after you turn him loose, do you blame him or the game plan????
(yes, I know the answer is both)
The point of that game is he coaching staff is keeping him under control and teaching him to manage the game (Superbowl win) but, the real Russell has been the guy that makes unreal things happen......
They are right to teach him to manage but God help the opponents when he just let's it go.....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If you have a game plan that does not work for a QB and "he sucks" but you give up and say just go for it. When he is wildly successful after you turn him loose, do you blame him or the game plan????
(yes, I know the answer is both)
The point of that game is he coaching staff is keeping him under control and teaching him to manage the game (Superbowl win) but, the real Russell has been the guy that makes unreal things happen......
They are right to teach him to manage but God help the opponents when he just let's it go.....
I think there's a happy medium somewhere. The Hawks (coaches) play to the scoreboard. You have teams like the Lions and Saints who basically chuck it a ton no matter the game situation, but the Seahawks are going to stay committed to the running game even when behind but especially when protecting a lead. Most of us know this, but it's worth it to mention it because of how strongly the coaches have been consistent with it the last 3 seasons. The Hawks have held the lead in every single game since RW became the starter, and I think until that tide turns you won't see his attempts per game get too much bigger than 25. There have been quite a few games where the team fell behind big and turned a lot more to the pass, and by and large the results have been positive. The add of Graham should help efficiency #s for sure, but I'm still hesitant to think we will be airing out while holding the lead. So I still see Wilson's total pass yards to be modest, but his efficiency stats should stay near the top of the lead as they have been for 3 seasons.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Oline may be even worse this year. Offsetting that I think Graham gives Wilson his first ever superstar type receiving weapon. Don't understand why everyone on this board seems to think Graham isn't that good. He is friggin incredible. Sure his numbers will drop, but he'll put up when needed.
OL worse? I suppose it's possible, but they would have to really try hard at it.

Graham's numbers may dip a bit just because the volume of passes won't be there in Seattle like it was in NO, but his presence is undoubtedly going to lift the O's red zone efficiency. I know reports from OTAs are almost always sunshine & rainbows, but word out of Renton is 3 & 88 have already been nearly unstoppable in the red zone on 11 on 11s.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a happy medium somewhere. The Hawks (coaches) play to the scoreboard. You have teams like the Lions and Saints who basically chuck it a ton no matter the game situation, but the Seahawks are going to stay committed to the running game even when behind but especially when protecting a lead. Most of us know this, but it's worth it to mention it because of how strongly the coaches have been consistent with it the last 3 seasons. The Hawks have held the lead in every single game since RW became the starter, and I think until that tide turns you won't see his attempts per game get too much bigger than 25. There have been quite a few games where the team fell behind big and turned a lot more to the pass, and by and large the results have been positive. The add of Graham should help efficiency #s for sure, but I'm still hesitant to think we will be airing out while holding the lead. So I still see Wilson's total pass yards to be modest, but his efficiency stats should stay near the top of the lead as they have been for 3 seasons.

All true. I just find it entertaining to hear people say he is just a game manager. He is a smart kid and does what he's coached but he has the heart of a gunslinger. He will continue to be coached to stay within the system. I do think that as he gets more experienced, they will let him open up a bit.
Remember, he is not supposed to be any good yet......

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true. I just find it entertaining to hear people say he is just a game manager. He is a smart kid and does what he's coached but he has the heart of a gunslinger. He will continue to be coached to stay within the system. I do think that as he gets more experienced, they will let him open up a bit.
Remember, he is not supposed to be any good yet......
The people who say he's a game manager are simpletons who can't think beyond total passing yards. He doesn't fit the traditional description of what a QB is supposed to look like in the NFL, so they try really hard to discount his success and project it somewhere else. Looking forward to shocked expressions when we get to the post-Lynch era and the team is still winning and RW is still playing at a high level.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL worse? I suppose it's possible, but they would have to really try hard at it.

Graham's numbers may dip a bit just because the volume of passes won't be there in Seattle like it was in NO, but his presence is undoubtedly going to lift the O's red zone efficiency. I know reports from OTAs are almost always sunshine & rainbows, but word out of Renton is 3 & 88 have already been nearly unstoppable in the red zone on 11 on 11s.
All will be fine as long as Seattle continues to win. If they struggle JG will not be a happy camper being asked to block more and get less touches.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All will be fine as long as Seattle continues to win. If they struggle JG will not be a happy camper being asked to block more and get less touches.
Well, the first part is a bit of a statement of the obvious. So far the team and the player are saying all the right things about how he'll fit in and how he'll be asked to do all the things the other TEs will be asked to do...I have my doubts they truly are going to use him in a way that doesnt play to his strengths though. I guess we'll see. On a "normal" formation I see RW & Lynch in the backfield, Kearse split out, Baldwin & Graham on opposing slots, and Luke W as the traditional in-line TE on the side opposite Kearse. The Saints used Graham in similar fashion about 2/3 of the time, so right now I see that as the benchmark in Seattle's offense. I guess I would be surprised if it's a lot more than that, but I also don't think they'll try to turn him into Todd Christensen.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people who say he's a game manager are simpletons who can't think beyond total passing yards. He doesn't fit the traditional description of what a QB is supposed to look like in the NFL, so they try really hard to discount his success and project it somewhere else. Looking forward to shocked expressions when we get to the post-Lynch era and the team is still winning and RW is still playing at a high level.
But Wilson still doesn't deserve the largest contract in NFL history. He is a quality QB, but he is not the best QB in the league. (IMO, Brady is right now)

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Wilson still doesn't deserve the largest contract in NFL history. He is a quality QB, but he is not the best QB in the league. (IMO, Brady is right now)
What ever the market says he's worth, is what he's worth. Never fear, what ever he signs for, the next Franchise QB will surpass it. The latest contracts generally turn out to be the largest, well....that is given all other things being equal. I bet Rogers would love to have his contract done now rather then when he did.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson has a strong case. He's a top QB and the market has gone up 8% for the last 2 years. I'd hate to see him play out his contract and get hurt. (Hate to see him get hurt regardless). A deal ought to be in place before the pre-season games start.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Seahawks fan I want to see a reasonable deal. But if I were in his shoes I wouldn't show up until a new deal was inked. They've gotten 40 million+ dollars of QB play during his tenure for third round money. I'd be like "enough with the nonsense! PAY ME!"

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, then when you're the Commissioner, force the NFLPA to agree to a CBA that makes all players sign 1 year contracts year after year and then you can better align salaries with what players 'deserve' instead of what the market bears at the time they are up for new deals.

Deserve?! C'mon, really??

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys but Wilson has been in the league a whopping total of three years. One playoff loss, one SB win and one SB loss. Joe freaking Montana didn't dream that big. If wilson isn't the highest payed QB in the league then just who the fuck should it be? Who is paying the bills for the NFL? I'm a Dallas fan, born and bred, and Romo is a damn good QB but I would cut his throat and swear it was an accident for a young QB like Wison. Seahawks hit the jackpot on this one and it's going to keep them at least relevent for at least another decade.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't care what they pay him because it's probably going to be a little less than market value with the final year on his deal/franchise tag looming. What I don't understand is how people can get on a guy for making as much as he can while he can instead of the greater common good for the team. The only guys who do that crap are the super stars who already have a vault full of money to begin with.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't care what they pay him because it's probably going to be a little less than market value with the final year on his deal/franchise tag looming. What I don't understand is how people can get on a guy for making as much as he can while he can instead of the greater common good for the team. The only guys who do that crap are the super stars who already have a vault full of money to begin with.
He will get paid because he can get paid. If Cam, a slightly above average QB can grab 20 mil a year with little playoff success, Wilson should be asking for 30 mil. Even if he has to settle for 25 mil, somebody will be willing to pay it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a big Brady fan (surprise!) but he is not the best QB in the league right now. His body of work is the best in the league but he is starting to lose a little. Still one of the best.....