• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Richard Sherman Can't Let Go" (Very Long ESPN Feature Story)

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The USC kid has grandchildren older than you, just saying. Oldtimer is actually a good shit

Right. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone. I don't anything about him, it's just a way to say 'that guy' -- like saying 'dude.' I'm sure he's a good guy -- he was just dancin' with the wrong lady, is all.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if calling a pass play was a bad call at that point. Calling a pass play that some Pats DBs were clearly ready n waiting for. As they beat Seahawks pass catchers to spots on the field. the pass catchers themselves really needed to get to if the play was to have any chance at success was a pretty bad call though.

So how many if any posters here buy into the notion that Carroll for whatever reason. Was trying to make it so Russell Wilson and not Lynch ended up as SB MVP? I think it's boo boo myself, but I can't front. I can't imagine anyone in the Hawks brass that would rather have Lynch winning MVP over Wilson. Still, I also can't imagine that Carroll would be thinking about any of that shit during the game and especially on that last drive of the Hawks.

IF the call was a bad one, it wasn't because Carroll wanted Wilson to win MVP.
Coaches, even great ones make bad calls from time to time in big games, pressure can be a bitch.
NE might have stolen the play, it's clearly a possibility. I recall the SB in 82 where The Raiders seemed to know half the plays Washington called before the snap, they had a reputation for spying too.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Pete lays it on thick, but he believes it. And AGAIN, negative fear motivation coaches have a shelf life.

Carroll let's the adults be adults. You get to be outspoken if you want, you get to dress how you want, you get to listen to the music you want.

Does that mean that there's no consequences if you step out of bounds? Nope.

Pete will also play a rookie FA over you if he's better, and ask Percy Harvin if you can do WHATEVER you want in Seattle.

I think Carroll went 7 straight years without losing a game by more than a TD at USC, so his defensive resume is second to none.
As far as style and motivational methods, compare Bill Walsh to Lombardi, both were elite among the greats but had little else in common.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't waiting for that specific play. They were well prepared by the coaching staff in film study, and had noticed Lockette 'leaning' on slant plays. Lockette leaned, Butler guessed right, and jumped the route.

Lockette doesn't lean? Probably an easy TD.

Word.

I don't buy the MVP agenda.

Word. Neither do I.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF the call was a bad one, it wasn't because Carroll wanted Wilson to win MVP. Coaches, even great ones make bad calls from time to time in big games, pressure can be a bitch. NE might have stolen the play, it's clearly a possibility. I recall the SB in 82 where The Raiders seemed to know half the plays Washington called before the snap, they had a reputation for spying too.

The Raiders 83 SB win over the Redskins is another example of film study and coaching playing huge factors. Earlier that year the Skins beat the Raiders in a back n forth, high scoring affair, 37-35. One of the Redskin TDs that day was an 89 yd screen pass from Joey T to Joe Washington. From study of that game and probably others. The Raiders made 2 of the Super Bowl's biggest plays that day and set up another huge play.

When the Skins sent in Joe Washington near the end of the 2nd quarter. The Raiders sent in Jack Squiek)(sp) specifically to spy Washington. Which led to Squiek promptly INTing an att Joey T screen pass to Washington and taking it in for a pick 6,

With the score 21-9 and the Skins facing a 4th n 1 at the Raiders whatever yd ln. The Raiders def stuffed John Riggins for no gain. On the very next play Marcus Allen broke the Skins back with his reverse field TD run making the score 28-9. After that it was all over, but the crying.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more about an inferiority complex and pure #s. If we use the term "coast" literally look at the shear numbers. (-) the Lakers there have been zeros consistantly dominant teams from the west "coast".

Heh. Maybe, but its been like that in some way or another ever since I was a kid and started following sports. You can use the term 'coast' however you like, homey, but you know what I'm talking about. An east coast bias in the area of coverage of teams pretty much starting west of the Mississippi when it comes to sports.

Besides the Yankees way back when, and Alabama and Boston teams presently. Where is all this east coast domination of which you speak? The west coast has done alright in the not so distant past. The Warriors are on the verge. The Giants have two recent WS titles. The Kings have two Stanley Cups and the Ducks have one.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. Maybe, but its been like that in some way or another ever since I was a kid and started following sports. You can use the term 'coast' however you like, homey, but you know what I'm talking about. An east coast bias in the area of coverage of teams pretty much starting west of the Mississippi when it comes to sports.

Besides the Yankees way back when, and Alabama and Boston teams presently. Where is all this east coast domination of which you speak? The west coast has done alright in the not so distant past. The Warriors are on the verge. The Giants have two recent WS titles. The Kings have two Stanley Cups and the Ducks have one.
No I'm not sure what coast means to you or others? That's why I tried clarifying it. Sorry but I have a hard time calling teams from Texas, Colorado, GB... part of the east coast bias. I mean after all "America's Team", GB the Broncos don't get enough coverage?

Likely since you were a kid there haven't been a large # of teams that moved to or from either coast. So my point of share # of teams remain.

You're absolutely correct with teams like GS and the SF Giants go. But again this whole was about consistency. Competative year in and year out or multiple championships.

As for those east coast teams Pittsburgh, heck if two recent championship is a mark in the sand add the G-men, in the NBA there was Miami, baseball had the Marlins who they seem to blow up the team after every winning season. Do we include Cleveland for hoops?

We could go back and forth unless we set parameters which I'm not really interested in. My point remains the bias is a falacy. Teams that consistently do well get their due when it comes to coverage. If you take the sheer number of teams, the majority of those teams are in the biggest media markets, and the "majority" of consistent wins I think it's pretty obvious why they get more coverage.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't waiting for that specific play. They were well prepared by the coaching staff in film study, and had noticed Lockette 'leaning' on slant plays. Lockette leaned, Butler guessed right, and jumped the route.

Lockette doesn't lean? Probably an easy TD.

I don't buy the MVP agenda.

I don't either. Passing when everyone is expecting you to run (and vice versa) is not an uncommon play and often enough results in an easy touchdown.

I think it's something like that.

It took some great awareness on some Patriots players parts, great execution and a little luck that Butler had practiced the play earlier.